You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GuessIllJustDie

How to tier 8

28 comments in this topic

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,279 battles

just had an amazing game in the kutozov!  was waiting to get a 14 point captain on it so I had CE and IFHE to sail in random battles. Oh boy! did the IFHE work wonders.

214k damage, arsonist and witherer along with high caliber award. just the MM being MM with 4 tier 8, 2 tier 9 and 6 tier 10 ships. even though most ships were higher tiers, managed to hold a flank in the kutozov alone with some BBs sniping. Earned top XP in an uptiered battle.

just saying if you play to the strengths of your ship, you can do well even if uptiered.

shot-18.12.17_13.13.23-0244.jpg

shot-18.12.17_13.13.26-0388.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SQUAD]
Members
7,987 posts
8,369 battles

I T8 the same way I do all other tiers. I take my ships, play the match and my ships as best I can. I really don't understand the "uptier" grief people have.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
5,003 posts
11,226 battles

Kutuzov really is a monster if played to her strengths.  Some ships can be a real challenge when facing higher tiers...Kutuzov isn't one of them.

Nice game.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,770 battles

I average about 20k damage in Cleveland, and about 40K damage in Helena.

[SOFOP]
Members
728 posts
6,700 battles

People complain about uptiers because most dont actually want a challenge.  They want to one shot everyone, win, and move on.

If you adapt and understand the situation you are in, you can usually make a contribution to the team regardless of tier.  But you do have to adapt.  A Tirpitz isnt going to be able to win a secondaries battle with a GK for instance.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,770 battles
6 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

People complain about uptiers because most dont actually want a challenge.  They want to one shot everyone, win, and move on.

If you adapt and understand the situation you are in, you can usually make a contribution to the team regardless of tier.  But you do have to adapt.  A Tirpitz isnt going to be able to win a secondaries battle with a GK for instance.

Uptiers happen, just last two games in Cleveland, about 3k damage per game, single salvoed long range T9 by BBs both times. I do OK in Helena in same environment though.

Edited by Ericson38

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I suck at uptiers because I am too damn aggressive. I quit for about 4 months and since I have been back, my stats have taken a hit because I am trying too hard to smash everything I see. I keep telling myself to play with patience but it is hard to reign in my predatory instinct. 

I am slowly seeing some progress, I had a game in the Myoko where I was one of the only T7 ships in a T-9 game. I didn't do much, about 50k in damage but I was patient and survived the battle and solo capped a point late in the game. 

Members
482 posts
8,529 battles

Difference is you can't pitched fight a tier 10 in a tier 8 and expect to win.    A NC should get clobbered by a Montana 1 on 1.  A hipper is soon to be an artificial reef fighting a hindy 1 on 1.   My monarch is a bump in... a wave in the ocean one on one vs a conq.  Sure the guns and armor are heavily waited toward the tier 10's  but the biggest problem to overcome is the hp pool differences.  When you are up-tiered you have to rely more heavily on your team to keep yourself from becoming swisscheezed. That means no leading charges and liberally using the only advantage tier 8's generally have over tier 10's, concealment.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

Members
482 posts
8,529 battles
19 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

One thing your not seeing here is that not everyone is a master at this game.   Actually the majority of people arn't.   Fighting their own tier is challenge enough.

Edited by WES_HoundDog
  • Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
982 posts
8,531 battles

Congratulations on a very nice match, especially for the 308 main battery hits.  That is an amazing number, so you must have done a good job of WASD along with shooting.  I notice that you only had 9 fires for all those hits or just under 3%.  A lot of people think Kutuzov has an outrageous fire starting ability, but it is not that great when uptiered due to the low fire starting coefficients for T10 and T9 ships.  

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,279 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Congratulations on a very nice match, especially for the 308 main battery hits.  That is an amazing number, so you must have done a good job of WASD along with shooting.  I notice that you only had 9 fires for all those hits or just under 3%.  A lot of people think Kutuzov has an outrageous fire starting ability, but it is not that great when uptiered due to the low fire starting coefficients for T10 and T9 ships.  

ah yeah. I think my captain has DE and IFHE, so almost negates the extra fire chance. and I dont use signals in random battles. I like to save signals for clan battles and ranked battles.

though 9 fires got me around 85k damage, not complaining. most of it on a conqadonq

[NDA]
Supertester
3,340 posts
6,323 battles

Real talk, no one in an emerald wants to see a Lyon every match. I've stopped playing my T5-6 so often cause getting blasted by someone you can't even properly engage gets old after a while. 

Which sucks cause some of my favorite ships are at that tier. 

Warspite, furry taco, aoba. I would say kamikaze but...it's kamikaze

Edited by Sinboto

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,279 battles

I like the kutozov because the shell velocity is good. Most of the match I was defending a flank and trying to stop the enemy charge, so I was around 13-15km from enemy ships kiting away and I didnt have to lead too much to hit the enemy ships even at 15km, just a little lead was enough.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,770 battles

I play the Cleveland without IFHE, so I can land 20 HE shells on BB for 2K damage. Then it is over. This is a ship with a worthless 16 pt captain. If I play Helena once (with IFHE), I can loose on Cleveland over two games and come out a net of 0 credits. No, I don't like this game very much, but I like ships, being a retired licensed master.

Members
22,283 posts
5,775 battles
27 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I play the Cleveland without IFHE, so I can land 20 HE shells on BB for 2K damage. Then it is over. This is a ship with a worthless 16 pt captain. If I play Helena once (with IFHE), I can loose on Cleveland over two games and come out a net of 0 credits. No, I don't like this game very much, but I like ships, being a retired licensed master.

Maybe it's the ships themselves that are an issue.

I don't much care for the USN CLs myself, I have to get too close to reliably hit things, but I like pretty much every other cruiser line.

[AVW]
Members
29 posts
3,956 battles
2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I don't mind being uptiered at 5,6,7 etc but at 8 you're going at it with ships that are spamming the heal button while you have no heal to speak of. I don't understand why people are unable to acknowledge this massive advantage. 

Take heals out of the game for cruisers and dds at 9 and 10, and id prefer playing mogami and Cleveland any day. 

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,279 battles
1 hour ago, ChubbyLuver said:

I don't mind being uptiered at 5,6,7 etc but at 8 you're going at it with ships that are spamming the heal button while you have no heal to speak of. I don't understand why people are unable to acknowledge this massive advantage. 

Take heals out of the game for cruisers and dds at 9 and 10, and id prefer playing mogami and Cleveland any day. 

aye. thats true. tier 9 and tier 10 should most definitely have their own battle tier. maybe 8 should be dropped down with tier 7's

[SOFOP]
Members
728 posts
6,700 battles

Not saying T10 ships dont have an advantage over T8.  Dont be silly.  You just have to adapt and play differently.  Pick your shots and pick your targets.  If you play in T8 the same way versus T10 that you do against other T8, you are going to lose of course.  Adapt, overcome.

Members
22,283 posts
5,775 battles
1 hour ago, lungiwear said:

aye. thats true. tier 9 and tier 10 should most definitely have their own battle tier. maybe 8 should be dropped down with tier 7's

So T8 can be the new T10?

[TDRB]
Members
2,480 posts
7,219 battles
5 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I T8 the same way I do all other tiers. I take my ships, play the match and my ships as best I can. I really don't understand the "uptier" grief people have.

Do you try to understand? That is a rhetorical question. My point is some need a more even playing field tier wise. Others have more skill, more experience & commanders with 14 points or more to place on their T8 ships that help even the playing field.

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,279 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

Do you try to understand? That is a rhetorical question. My point is some need a more even playing field tier wise. Others have more skill, more experience & commanders with 14 points or more to place on their T8 ships that help even the playing field.

I just use the operation of the week to level up my captains. easiest way to do that since atleast you're guaranteed a win (almost....unless a team of taters) and you can earn more than 20k commander xp per game. 

[TDRB]
Members
2,480 posts
7,219 battles
2 hours ago, lungiwear said:

I just use the operation of the week to level up my captains. easiest way to do that since atleast you're guaranteed a win (almost....unless a team of taters) and you can earn more than 20k commander xp per game. 

I also use the operation of the week and, where I can, premium ships to accelerate commander training but it is still a long grind.

[BOTO]
Members
349 posts
9,326 battles
17 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Had no problem playing my Cleveland without IFHE after the line split.  I simply did more fire damage, once I got IFHE, less fire and more penetration damage. It works the same with any of the USN CLs.  Having IFHE is optimal but you can get by without it.