You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

WoWS Dev Blog: New CV Gameplay Coming With 0.8.0

310 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Members
2,156 posts
14,580 battles

This whole I can only control one thing at a time, is one of the Biggest lines I have heard from WG, that doesn't happen with all the other ships, when you are aiming you can't tell me players are not WASD hacking the ship, if it is good for the CV, should be good for everyone else.  I am okay with the 1 squad thing, but this no control over the CV while the squad is in the air is a total farce!!!!

[NAUTY]
Members
614 posts
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

"Commanders!

In version 0.8.0 of the game World of Warships, the new aircraft carriers will be introduced. The update will significantly change the gameplay of the whole class as players know it, moving away from the specific controls and gameplay, that is currently more in the realm of real-time strategy games. The main goals of the changes are to:
- increase the popularity of aircraft carriers,
- increase the entertainment factor when playing them
- improve the balance in comparison to other classes.

More than 5,000 players participated in the testing of aircraft carriers. Thank you for your feedback and the time spent on tests. You have allowed us to find, and fix, a lot of bugs as well as improve some mechanics.

Anyone will soon be able to try the new CVs. Their gameplay is gradually taking its final form. In this post, we'll tell you about a few recent changes implemented following test results.

The small opportunities of autopilot system is one of the reasons why players want to control the aircraft carrier independently and in parallel with the aircraft. It didn't allow the ships to move in reverse, so if the aircraft carrier crashed into an island, then you had to spend a lot of time to get it back on the right course. We have improved autopilot for all classes of ships. Now, if the player puts a navigation point in the stern sector relative to the current course of the ship, the autopilot will reverse. Thus, by plotting points in the tactical map view, you will be able to remove the aircraft carrier from the collision with the island, without the need to return/recall your active aircraft.

We know that there are other situations in which some players would like to use a squadron and an aircraft carrier in parallel. However, at the heart of the new gameplay is the management of only one game unit at a time - predominantly an aircraft squadron. This condition is necessary for not spreading the player's attention too thin in battle and reduce the current overload of micro management, making the class of aircraft carriers more accessible to everyone.

Another controversial point was the protection of the aircraft carrier from an enemy air attack. Players had to return the squadron, and only then, from the СV, use the necessary counter measures, including the fighters call. Not all players used this opportunity. Often they were unable to react in time or they were not ready to lose control of their planes. To solve this problem, we are working on an automatic activation system of the relevant CV consumables when it is in danger.

Speaking about fighters. The time during which they chased plane, has been reduced. Now it will be easier to run away from them. During tests, the circle on the minimap showed the trajectory on which the fighters were patrolling. Players couldn't figure out how far away from the fighters it was safe to fly. Now the circle will show the extreme boundary of the zone, the area within which your planes will be attacked. Thus, the working of the consumable "fighters" will become more obvious and understandable.

Balance is one of the hottest topics of discussion. It is important to understand that it is impossible to bring optimum balance to the final state of the class in the test environment, as players behave differently there than on the main server. That's why, the work on the balance settings of aircraft carriers will continue after their release. Within a few months, you can expect numerous changes to the parameters of aircraft, including the number of units and their types. As is the case with the initial test of new aircraft carriers, here we will count on your feedback and support to assist us in the 'fine-tuning' process.

Thanks to our joint efforts, the class of aircraft carriers will soon get a new life in World Of Warships. Thank you!

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary."

Now my only question is how they'll make the premium CVs unique.

Being a btester in all 3 phases I have to say I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the rework, because ITs jsut DAMn FUN PEOPLE..and actually made me play World of warplanes more. So side benefit.

I love RTS, but I was often yawning and twiddling my thumbs when CV's were RTS.. NOT the case in the rework.

Ok, that being said there is DEF one HUGE issue..You Must have independent control of the CV without having to recall the one squad you get to control.

WG says they dont want to distract the player, thats fine and dandy, but how am I suppose to handle CV sniping..when suddenly there is a DD near me, and I cant defend myself because Im somehow supposed to predict with WAYpoints where the Attacking DD is going launch PEdo salvos? SERIOUSLY?

Thats insane. NO, I need manual control of my CV so I can fake out the DD, where Im going to move with my CV.

Oh U have independent control of your CV anytime. YEah but then I have to recall the squad, therebye NOT being able to attack the DD that is trying to snipe me.

Many DD players caught wind of how easy it is to snipe CV's and they WILL be capitalizing on it. Also..where is right click waypoint setting control on the LARGE map. AND i had alternate interface turned on, so right clicking SHOULD be functioning.

• Cool 3

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

Howdy Folks!  This is obviously a very controversial change and we are monitoring your feedback to relay to the team.  Things are still in Testing and we have and continue to review every bit of data (including your thoughts) we can. 

We just ask you remain patient, participate in the upcoming Public Test and continue to provide us your experiences. 

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

The big issue is that WG will make the bulk of the balancing in the live servers. There will be a lot of OP and UP things going on. This will be very chaotic.

[SBS]
Members
5,202 posts
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

So basically, the player won't even have to actively use consumables to protect himself? Ehm... what? I think you are trying to oversimplify the gameplay at that point, seriously, this is getting way overboard.

I was surprised to have to scroll down so far before someone mentioned this.  Is it not bad enough CVs have the best survival rates in the game.  They can attack with no risk to being removed from the game.  They have unlimited planes.  They have greatly reduced fire and flooding duration.  And now they don't even have to manage consumables.  :Smile_facepalm:  The rework CVs are ships with permanent training wheels attach.  Seriously, compare the new CVs with how unforgiving DDs are to play and explain to me how that's even remotely balanced! 

12 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

Um, they did introduced the AA REWORK in the same tests for CV Rework. TDLR: AA is effective when you have buddies. IF you're alone, you're screwed.

Thank you for saying this.  I'm at a loss as to why people don't seem to understand the AA has already been "reworked".

6 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Have you paid attention to what the actual testers have said? it is not remotely close to release state.

Its funny, I was in the tests, I said at the close of the last test this was ready to go live, and it would hit the PTS next and live early next year. 

[NGA]
Members
1,968 posts
10,463 battles
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

The big issue is that WG will make the bulk of the balancing in the live servers. There will be a lot of OP and UP things going on. This will be very chaotic.

That's to be expected and in my estimation people are overreacting. This is a HUGE change that fundamentally changes how one of the four ship types operates. This is even bigger than artillery getting changed up in WoT. They kept the same basic controls, it was just some changes to how damage was applied. This is a complete reworking of how a fair number of ships are played. And in all honesty, that can't be cleanly projected with just a test server in which a  large number of bots are present.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,832 posts
11,233 battles

Now my only question is how they'll make the premium CVs unique.

Simple - they won't, because there is no actual way to make anything unique in this garbage gameplay model they cooked up and are shoving out. 

There is no real difference between IJN and USN tech trees, history is right out the window here with A5M's with rockets, really, any IJN plane with rockets, and even USN at tier 4 having them and not torps and so many unhistorical things that I wanna throw a history book at whoever thought this up. And UK will be the exact same too, another cardboard box with rockets and bombs at tier 4, and then those plus torps at tier 6, and likely missing a ton of historic aircraft of the war. 

More importantly -

- increase the popularity of aircraft carriers,
- increase the entertainment factor when playing them
- improve the balance in comparison to other classes.

- has a good chance of failing, rendering the rework pointless

- which, many testers have pointed out that for the first 5 minutes is fun and new - but after that is a boring damage farm that loses appeal fast when combined with inability to attack while defending your ship, against ALL THREATS not just aircraft, does not helps, and can likely lead to this failing to maintain people ergo again, point 1 becomes moot. 

- And which could be achieved by Wargaming pulling their head out, and actually listening to ALL OF US and not whatever group is saying what they want to hear, and nerfing USN DPS on fighters, rebalancing AA, changing and removing certain skills, lowering CV alpha, fixing strafe and a whole host of changes I detailed in a post last month with numbers for them to put in the appropriate slots in the coding as a ground work to rebalance them that would take time, and while I can't guarantee an increase of CV players, but let's face it WARGAMING CAN'T GUARANTEE IT EITHER WITH THE REWORK, would at the very least retain the CV players we have, and likely not drive away non-CV players as well as they are used to how it works now and most of the needed changes favour them a bit more. Even non-CV players have been threatening to leave if this rework goes through. Because it really changes nothing - AA is just as screwed up as ever, CV's still do the same damage because manual drop torps 24/7, but now, there is no real fighter cover. 

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-NACL]
[-NACL]
Members
1,194 posts
5,353 battles
4 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Simple - they won't, because there is no actual way to make anything unique in this garbage gameplay model they cooked up and are shoving out. 

If I know WarGaming, they'll find a way.

Watch:

USS Enterprise (example) will retain the old CV interface and mechanics. What better way to honor the Grey Ghost than by allowing her to dominate the skies with its mighty reach!

Or something along the line like that

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
3 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

That's to be expected and in my estimation people are overreacting. This is a HUGE change that fundamentally changes how one of the four ship types operates. This is even bigger than artillery getting changed up in WoT. They kept the same basic controls, it was just some changes to how damage was applied. This is a complete reworking of how a fair number of ships are played. And in all honesty, that can't be cleanly projected with just a test server in which a  large number of bots are present.

I understand this, is a big and needed change. And every big change has lots of issues. Test server are not great to finalize balance. But aparently there is still a lot to do and the bulk of the balancing will be in live servers. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,387 posts
10,918 battles

its going to be hilarious if/when this rework fails and theres even less CV players

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
777 posts
62 battles
11 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Howdy Folks!  This is obviously a very controversial change and we are monitoring your feedback to relay to the team.  Things are still in Testing and we have and continue to review every bit of data (including your thoughts) we can. 

We just ask you remain patient, participate in the upcoming Public Test and continue to provide us your experiences. 

Most of the testers in the CV beta told you that:

1) you need to be able to control your CV at any time 

2) the fighter mechanics SUCK

Why in hell do you believe the product is ready?? It was a good start but it isn’t done yet!! 

These two problems need fixing and we need probably another round of beta testing afterwards.

This change is far too important to pump out a half-done thing. Look at Graf Zeppelin - same story.

[NAUTY]
Members
614 posts
13 minutes ago, Xlap said:

And interesting..and Fun as hell. There is no way to properly balance things without live players, guys theres no way around this. Being a beta tester of many other things in the past I can tell you  IT IS this way in all industries when it comes to software release.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,915 posts
7,321 battles
17 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Give us our odd tier aircraft carriers back!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,095 posts
15,168 battles
1 minute ago, Phil_Swift_With_Flextape said:

Give us our odd tier aircraft carriers back!

They will.

Beta Testers
775 posts
13,283 battles

So much doom and gloom guys, wait till you get to try it (those of you who haven't already) and you might like it.

Very different to current CV and people don't like change hence the anger. Only annoying thing still in the rework is not being able to control your Carrier separately, that really needs to change.

AA has been reworked already in the CV rework and is quite effective.

• Cool 2

Members
909 posts
6,089 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I hope for your sake that you're not going to be like one of those people who sold their Belfast or Kutuzov only to wind up regretting it after the fact. Personally I think you're being petty.

The test server was not and never could be an accurate representation of what sailing the reworked carriers will be like; the population was too small and too narrowly selected. Play them for a patch with the full, representative population of players on the server. THEN decide you're not going to go near them again. Dare you.

Ditto. I think at this point it needs to be on the live server for us to really get a feel for what it will be like. I just WG dosent make us wait the full 4 weeks to fix any game breaking imbalances or bugs that may pop up. 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,697 posts
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I just want to know what the compensation is, because with the rework as it is, I have zero intention of ever playing a CV again.

Same here.

I will be hitting the PTS for that patch, and I will be filling up my feedback survey with just how big of a mistake they're making.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,697 posts
39 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

This whole I can only control one thing at a time, is one of the Biggest lines I have heard from WG, that doesn't happen with all the other ships, when you are aiming you can't tell me players are not WASD hacking the ship, if it is good for the CV, should be good for everyone else.  I am okay with the 1 squad thing, but this no control over the CV while the squad is in the air is a total farce!!!!

Yeap -- but evidently WG thinks so little of their customers that they assume controlling one squadron and the carrier at the same time is just too much for us to handle. 

In their own words:

"We know that there are other situations in which some players would like to use a squadron and an aircraft carrier in parallel. However, at the heart of the new gameplay is the management of only one game unit at a time - predominantly an aircraft squadron. This condition is necessary for not spreading the player's attention too thin in battle and reduce the current overload of micro management, making the class of aircraft carriers more accessible to everyone."

Translation -- "Our players are idiots who would fall out of their chairs if they got distracted."

Of course, WG trying to pass this console-compatibility move off as "balance" and "ease of play" is such a blatant lie that I'm not sure how every single player out there doesn't feel completely insulted. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[-NACL]
[-NACL]
Members
1,194 posts
5,353 battles
8 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And, as such, it is dangerous to drop such a monumental rework that many testers and community members feels is unfinished and rushed. This piecemeal implementation is ridiculous and yet ironic.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles
22 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

its going to be hilarious if/when this rework fails and theres even less CV players

No matter what happens, SOMEBODY will be happy, even if it's only the anti-CV crowd lol.

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,697 posts
23 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

When it fails, the only people who will be happy are the venomous players who want to see CVs gone and support anything that makes the game worse for those who play CVs. 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,697 posts
1 hour ago, Purg473 said:

We'll still have probably 2 public tests before 8.0 hits..maybe even 3 like last time...so there is that.

Regarding why they're running it live...I wasn't able to run the beta, wish'd I could, but that would require a 30 minute drive and sitting for a day to download, lol....but the impression I've gotten from feedback forums, is they were having a problem getting people to play the surface ships..maybe they're thinking this will let them give the AA adjustment a realistic balance? Just a thought.

They locked the test behind invites and the WGC malware -- of course they couldn't get enough testers.

• Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
5,123 posts

Many of you are still pushing the 'You must go back!' button as if that's something WG is going to do.  They're not going to.  For good or ill, it's WoWP 2.0 all over again.  The decision was made weeks or months ago, and they're not going back.  CV 2.0 is coming and CV 1.0 is going away, no matter how loud you scream or how loud you threaten to leave, or if you indeed leave.  

Wanting to keep the current CV gameplay, or just tweak it, and keep the RTS, is just tilting at windmills at this point.

Regardless of your opinion about new vs old, the old is not a choice.  Ranting or giving them tons of feedback how to 'fix' the old is wasting your and WG's time.  They're going to look at it, and toss it in the trash, and you'll just be pissed off.

If you want input, give constructive feedback toward fixing the new gameplay.  If you want to vent about them not keeping the old, that's fine, but that's all it is.  You will change nothing by doing so, except maybe being able to vent your spleen a bit.

Good luck.  

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
2,911 posts
9,606 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralPiett said:

They need to start talking AA. It is literally the other half of CV gameplay, and it will impact everyone.

For all people's complaints on the forum, this is really the biggest outstanding issue.  I've been in the tests and I never got a chance to see how fully-AA specced ships actually perform because you couldn't really do much AA speccing. Hopefully they'll enable all the captain skills and AA modules in the last couple of test phases so we can see. 

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,592 battles
41 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

To distill pretty much every concern I have:

What form does the counterplay take?

I cannot directly kill carriers until endgame in most matches.  I cannot avoid carrier strikes on many ships.  I have no or rudimentary control over AA, if the ship even has any meaningful AA in the first place.

I just don't understand how this isn't crystal clear when the whole goal is reintegrating carriers into the gameplay, yet the rework is imminent.  Carriers seem like they are turning into WoT arty where they play their own little minigame while the rest of the teams are victims for 15 minutes.  At least before I could spec and use DefAA to defeat some strikes.

• Cool 1