You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

WoWS Dev Blog: New CV Gameplay Coming With 0.8.0

310 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,173 posts
21,455 battles

I wish there was some word on how AA will work with this. The new way this works with a single squadron attacking over and over again, plus the CV never being deplaned, means AA has to work well AND it has to survive. It can't be wiped out by HE spam 3 seconds into the game like it is now. The new CV's while simpler to play it appears could be way too OP unless AA is adjusted accordingly. 

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,790 posts
14,656 battles

CV phase 3 playing feedback

I felt that I lost the distinction of playing the CV because both nation playing the same style, send fighter to rocket damage, then dive bomb to soften up and lastly torp to "mop up". When playing IJN CV, there is a distinction that I have 2 squad of torp so I can cross drop, the USN have only 1 torp squad but more planes. Consequence the fighter also 1 squad but more planes. This forced me to learn about the CV game mechanic "back then". I have to research for tactic, learnt about aa defend and when to attach, when not to attach, when/where/how provide perm spot on enemy dd, prioritise my target, I learn to strafe and manual drop. I then learn to auto drop from t4 and t5, then strafe/manual drop from t6 and up. I learn about the AP bomb and deep water torp (looking at the GZ) and now the Enterprise and go back and revive my tactics used again Enterprise don't use deep water torp but have AP options. Then I learned about the Kaga distinction of have more planes and the Saipan less planes

What WoWs can make in the CV in the future that the DISTINCTION still around ?

Further example of distinction through out the game, the cruiser line of USN strong aa, CA heavy AP nice auto bounce, CL rapid HE thin armour and no torp comparing to the Russian with nasty HE % fire chance flat AP arc and 4.5km and other characteristic.

How can I defend and help my ally while I am on the attack run when I can only have the option of summon guarding planes at the moment I press the button and I continue on? they only appear for the moment.

But with the current play, I have the option if playing IJN CV, I can spare 1 fighter squad guarding my ally and 1 fighter to guard my strike group; aka engage the enemy fighter and make them busy while my strike group can go ahead or withdrawal (depending on the situation); if playing USN I have to be more cunning and taking the opportunity when it present or use the advantage of ally aa bubble (only 1 fighter squad). These micro management is what make playing every tier CV fun and engaging, as a player each cv tier is different in their own play style. The game make me to look into detail of ships characteristic  at post battle screen, and having a spread sheet of their aa bubble, radar range, hydro range, and main gun range open. Each CV hangar capacity and how many planes, how many planes in reverse to make up a squad when replenish so that during the battle I can check if I have the air supreme or not, checking how many planes were shoot down and comparing the spread sheet. In doing so, I researching more into the game and learn game mechanic, if player don't need to research with the CV testing phase, players only need to learn to send planes on their attack run consecutively and lost the distinction of the CV characteristic, and it become boring.

The use of consumable and capt perk is great, testing playing CV is great, game style is what need to be looking at now. Please don't loose out each CV characteristic

regards,      

[FGNE]
Members
853 posts
4,025 battles

I do support the CV rework, and I'm looking forward to it... but, I kind of think its too early yet, I was expecting another TST round followed by several PTS ones, sure the 1st quarter of 2019, ... but January!?!?! (well I guess the release date is not set in stone yet).:Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,068 posts
12,562 battles
7 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I specifically said that if it goes live as it is, then I'm done with CV's.

Did you read a single thing about what they said regarding ongoing adjustments?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,085 posts
15,087 battles

WOW 8.0 ? Well that is right around the corner. Looks like WG is keeping busy. Should be a ton of fun. We will lose some of the current CV mains, some of the really good ones are just going to become artists at the new CV play. Should get a bunch of new CV players for sure. Lots of balancing as the data from the live servers roll in. Going to be a fun if bumpy ride.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,929 posts
13,249 battles

All good new to me...get CVs out of the game, thats the best re work....

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,915 posts
7,321 battles

This rework is a disaster. Like, seriously, WG needs to back the hell up and rethink some of this.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I'm kind of astonished they think it is ready for release, and they seem to be under the impression that its a good idea to be giving even less control of the CV when, seemingly, that was the only thing both sides agreed on - let me play my ship more.

Edited by Tanuvein
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
4,534 posts
10,663 battles

Live servers are now full test servers.

Great job WG.

Balance is one of the hottest topics of discussion. It is important to understand that it is impossible to bring optimum balance to the final state of the class in the test environment, as players behave differently there than on the main server. That's why, the work on the balance settings of aircraft carriers will continue after their release.

• Cool 1

[-NACL]
[-NACL]
Members
1,194 posts
5,349 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I disagree with that approach, at least in its current execution. While yes other forms of testing such as PT are not indicative of how of CVs and their interplay with other classes will work on the live server, dropping a change such as this and believing that adjusting on the fly will work is, imo, naive.

Now feel free to correct me as I've been comparatively out of the loop for most of WoWs since Graf Zepplin's "re-release" but despite this change going live, we haven't heard of the AA tweaks going live as well have we? Can we not surmise the reason behind such change is because the current AA model we have is either not effective or in some form incompatible with the CV rework? If that is the case, then why institute the rework without the "stopgaps" / "balances" / "changes" that should naturally accompany it? This isn't just a mechanic change, or a ship retweak, this is an entire class of ships being reworked here and their state of existence has significant kickback on the other 3 classes

Even though I've been a ghost for most of 2018 with WoWs even I am aware of the open hostility many have displayed towards this change. Can it not be inferred that releasing what seems, and can argued, to be an incomplete rework will garner a significant knee-jerk reaction by the community? There has been repeated instances of this in the past. 

The issues with CVs in the past were that they were not as accessible when compared to the other classes and had an extremely high skill ceiling, resulting in heavily one sided fights between CVs which could snowball in a unicum CV player decimating the enemy team. While I do believe that amendments had to be made, let me be honest: I see this as more of a change to put CVs in a playable format for WoWs legends and appease the community by saying it is the rework they have been asking for than I see it as an honest attempt to fix the imbalance that is CVs.

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 2

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,222 battles

We'll still have probably 2 public tests before 8.0 hits..maybe even 3 like last time...so there is that.

Regarding why they're running it live...I wasn't able to run the beta, wish'd I could, but that would require a 30 minute drive and sitting for a day to download, lol....but the impression I've gotten from feedback forums, is they were having a problem getting people to play the surface ships..maybe they're thinking this will let them give the AA adjustment a realistic balance? Just a thought.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,547 posts
6,167 battles

They need to start talking AA. It is literally the other half of CV gameplay, and it will impact everyone.

Edited by AdmiralPiett
  • Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles
17 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

CV phase 3 playing feedback

I felt that I lost the distinction of playing the CV because both nation playing the same style, send fighter to rocket damage, then dive bomb to soften up and lastly torp to "mop up". When playing IJN CV, there is a distinction that I have 2 squad of torp so I can cross drop, the USN have only 1 torp squad but more planes. Consequence the fighter also 1 squad but more planes. This forced me to learn about the CV game mechanic "back then". I have to research for tactic, learnt about aa defend and when to attach, when not to attach, when/where/how provide perm spot on enemy dd, prioritise my target, I learn to strafe and manual drop. I then learn to auto drop from t4 and t5, then strafe/manual drop from t6 and up. I learn about the AP bomb and deep water torp (looking at the GZ) and now the Enterprise and go back and revive my tactics used again Enterprise don't use deep water torp but have AP options. Then I learned about the Kaga distinction of have more planes and the Saipan less planes

What WoWs can make in the CV in the future that the DISTINCTION still around ?

Further example of distinction through out the game, the cruiser line of USN strong aa, CA heavy AP nice auto bounce, CL rapid HE thin armour and no torp comparing to the Russian with nasty HE % fire chance flat AP arc and 4.5km and other characteristic.

How can I defend and help my ally while I am on the attack run when I can only have the option of summon guarding planes at the moment I press the button and I continue on? they only appear for the moment.

But with the current play, I have the option if playing IJN CV, I can spare 1 fighter squad guarding my ally and 1 fighter to guard my strike group; aka engage the enemy fighter and make them busy while my strike group can go ahead or withdrawal (depending on the situation); if playing USN I have to be more cunning and taking the opportunity when it present or use the advantage of ally aa bubble (only 1 fighter squad). These micro management is what make playing every tier CV fun and engaging, as a player each cv tier is different in their own play style. The game make me to look into detail of ships characteristic  at post battle screen, and having a spread sheet of their aa bubble, radar range, hydro range, and main gun range open. Each CV hangar capacity and how many planes, how many planes in reverse to make up a squad when replenish so that during the battle I can check if I have the air supreme or not, checking how many planes were shoot down and comparing the spread sheet. In doing so, I researching more into the game and learn game mechanic, if player don't need to research with the CV testing phase, players only need to learn to send planes on their attack run consecutively and lost the distinction of the CV characteristic, and it become boring.

The use of consumable and capt perk is great, testing playing CV is great, game style is what need to be looking at now. Please don't loose out each CV characteristic

regards,      

Your post pretty much sums up why CVs are being reworked.

It's an overly complicated playstyle that's vastly different than any other ship type, and holds far too much influence over the outcome of the battle.  Being on a team with a <40% WR CV against a team with a >70% WR CV essentially guarantees that your team will lose, irregardless of what you do in any other ship.  No other ship holds that much influence, and it's bad for the game to allow CVs to continue to do so.

Sure it'll be a rough couple of patches while they work on getting the balance down, but the CV rework is necessary if the class is going to stay in World of Warships.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[ARGSY]
Members
18,068 posts
12,562 battles
4 minutes ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

While I do believe that amendments had to be made, let me be honest: I see this as more of a change to put CVs in a playable format for WoWs legends and appease the community by saying it is the rework they have been asking for than I see it as an honest attempt to fix the imbalance that is CVs.

We'll be agreeing to disagree on that one. It certainly serves the doctrine of double effect, but something had to be done to nerf the born multitaskers and this seems the best way. I don't think it will take long for them to go back to giving us a 1 button to trigger the CV consumables.

I have to admit that at my level of (lack of) CV expertise, I hardly ever control the carrier directly; and by the time I'm under fire, the rest of my team is in ruins and I am pretty much doomed no matter what I do.

If this fails, then rework CV's go through to Legends and we revert back to what we have now.

• Meh 2

Members
3,057 posts
2,518 battles
57 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Very true, they haven't said anything about how AA is going to reworked. Which is rather important for ship and captain builds.

59 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Still no mention of how current AA-ship mechanics will work against the revised carrier gameplay.

Um, they did introduced the AA REWORK in the same tests for CV Rework. TDLR: AA is effective when you have buddies. IF you're alone, you're screwed.

[PVE]
Members
11,173 posts
21,455 battles
4 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

Um, they did introduced the AA REWORK in the same tests for CV Rework. TDLR: AA is effective when you have buddies. IF you're alone, you're screwed.

Then they need to work on that a LOT! That is not right.

• Meh 1

[FGNE]
Members
853 posts
4,025 battles
3 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

I participated in the 2nd and 3rd TST rounds, on the 2nd one (in my experience) even single DD AA could slaughter an squadron... on the 3rd AA was like you described... hopefully we'll find something in between as a starting point for the AA balancing.

[O-PN]
Members
9,122 posts
10,582 battles
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Have you paid attention to what the actual testers have said? it is not remotely close to release state.

Members
3,057 posts
2,518 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Then they need to work on that a LOT! That is not right.

Um the game is team-based and this rather reflect history rather well specifically. You are going to get wrecked if you let the carrier CATCH YOU ALONE. Not even an AA cruiser is immune when facing CV strikes alone. But when she is in a group, the group's AA is exponentially boosted.

The AA Rework is almost good. I'm much more concerned with the state of the CVs though.

Edited by Hurlbut

[WOLFG]
Members
27,102 posts
7,217 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

sorry that I ping you, but I wanted that section highlighted

So basically, the player won't even have to actively use consumables to protect himself? Ehm... what? I think you are trying to oversimplify the gameplay at that point, seriously, this is getting way overboard.

Yeah, that seems a bit much.

I see no reason that there couldn't be a "summon fighter" consumable that calls fighters to your squadron, and a separate "launch CAP" consumable to protect the CV.

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles

ST. «Fly! Strike! Win!» event

During the update 0.8.0 there is a new event in the game – «Fly! Strike! Win!» - which was dedicated to CV and «Lunar New Year».

There are 4 stages of the event. Each stage consists of 4 directives. Each Directive contains 6 to 8 tasks. There is a corresponding reward of camouflage, signal, «Lunar New Year» containers and even goal. (coal?)

Rules for completing directives are similar to the Royal Navy event. After the completion of all directives, access to the Hall of Fame is unlocked, for which points can be earned in co-op, random, ranked, clan, scenario or special battles.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Edited by Kizarvexis

Members
541 posts
14,232 battles

I'm grossly disappointed at WG for the CV rework. It's a disaster. CVs have been broken in the game since they were added and over two years later this is what we get? Come on. They've spent a year of time and money on this. It's very sad and at this point disrespectful to the players who have waited patiently for it.