You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

WoWS Dev Blog: New CV Gameplay Coming With 0.8.0

310 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,678 posts
9,097 battles

"Commanders!

In version 0.8.0 of the game World of Warships, the new aircraft carriers will be introduced. The update will significantly change the gameplay of the whole class as players know it, moving away from the specific controls and gameplay, that is currently more in the realm of real-time strategy games. The main goals of the changes are to:
- increase the popularity of aircraft carriers,
- increase the entertainment factor when playing them
- improve the balance in comparison to other classes.

More than 5,000 players participated in the testing of aircraft carriers. Thank you for your feedback and the time spent on tests. You have allowed us to find, and fix, a lot of bugs as well as improve some mechanics.

Anyone will soon be able to try the new CVs. Their gameplay is gradually taking its final form. In this post, we'll tell you about a few recent changes implemented following test results.

The small opportunities of autopilot system is one of the reasons why players want to control the aircraft carrier independently and in parallel with the aircraft. It didn't allow the ships to move in reverse, so if the aircraft carrier crashed into an island, then you had to spend a lot of time to get it back on the right course. We have improved autopilot for all classes of ships. Now, if the player puts a navigation point in the stern sector relative to the current course of the ship, the autopilot will reverse. Thus, by plotting points in the tactical map view, you will be able to remove the aircraft carrier from the collision with the island, without the need to return/recall your active aircraft.

We know that there are other situations in which some players would like to use a squadron and an aircraft carrier in parallel. However, at the heart of the new gameplay is the management of only one game unit at a time - predominantly an aircraft squadron. This condition is necessary for not spreading the player's attention too thin in battle and reduce the current overload of micro management, making the class of aircraft carriers more accessible to everyone.

Another controversial point was the protection of the aircraft carrier from an enemy air attack. Players had to return the squadron, and only then, from the СV, use the necessary counter measures, including the fighters call. Not all players used this opportunity. Often they were unable to react in time or they were not ready to lose control of their planes. To solve this problem, we are working on an automatic activation system of the relevant CV consumables when it is in danger.

Speaking about fighters. The time during which they chased plane, has been reduced. Now it will be easier to run away from them. During tests, the circle on the minimap showed the trajectory on which the fighters were patrolling. Players couldn't figure out how far away from the fighters it was safe to fly. Now the circle will show the extreme boundary of the zone, the area within which your planes will be attacked. Thus, the working of the consumable "fighters" will become more obvious and understandable.

Balance is one of the hottest topics of discussion. It is important to understand that it is impossible to bring optimum balance to the final state of the class in the test environment, as players behave differently there than on the main server. That's why, the work on the balance settings of aircraft carriers will continue after their release. Within a few months, you can expect numerous changes to the parameters of aircraft, including the number of units and their types. As is the case with the initial test of new aircraft carriers, here we will count on your feedback and support to assist us in the 'fine-tuning' process.

Thanks to our joint efforts, the class of aircraft carriers will soon get a new life in World Of Warships. Thank you!

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary."

Now my only question is how they'll make the premium CVs unique.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles

I just want to know what the compensation is, because with the rework as it is, I have zero intention of ever playing a CV again.

• Cool 18
  • Boring 1

[2CUTE]
Members
201 posts
2,496 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I just want to know what the compensation is, because with the rework as it is, I have zero intention of ever playing a CV again.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,221 battles

Huzzah unkillable permanent radar that turns into a 160 kt destroyer instantly whenever it wants.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Members
5,378 posts
6,106 battles

I haven't participated in the tests, but why do I have this suspicious feeling that the current concept is nowhere near ready to be on the live server? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 6

[-K-]
Members
6,124 posts
10,290 battles

Still no mention of how current AA-ship mechanics will work against the revised carrier gameplay.

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles
Just now, GhostSwordsman said:

I haven't participated in the tests, but why do I have this suspicious feeling that the current concept is nowhere near ready to be on the live server? :cap_hmm:

That would be because it isn't. it isn't even close. In fact, it isn't even in the same galaxy as close.

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Still no mention of how current AA-ship mechanics will work against the revised carrier gameplay.

Very true, they haven't said anything about how AA is going to reworked. Which is rather important for ship and captain builds.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,294 posts
6,746 battles
7 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Now my only question is how they'll make the premium CVs unique.

Three options come to mind:

1) Better aircraft/a different mix.

2) A shorter cooldown time for the same type of aircraft, if the squadron is destroyed.

3) More aircraft, if the hangars are not unlimited.

My only question is, what happens to people like me, who only have odd-tier carriers in the game right now?

IIRC, the way this works is that the jump from T4 to T6 is going to be bigger than either T4 to T5 OR T5 to T6, but not as big as both put together; i.e. someone who just got their Langley when the rework drops will not have to earn as many XP to get to the Independence. So I will probably have my Bogue removed and all its XP credited to the Langley.

I do not think they would be so generous as to kick me upstairs into the Independence, but stranger things have happened. I appreciate their honesty that some rebalancing will have to occur on the fly. This was obvious; even the PTS can't model this sort of thing adequately. I respect the level of risk they're undertaking. 

It also gives me a fixed window of time in which to enjoy my last gasp of RTS CV play, a mode which I enjoy but sadly am not very good at. I'm going to keep the Bogue until the very end, because I can still earn Dailies XP in her and because I want to see for myself exactly what happens when 0.8.0 goes down.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,248 posts
7,214 battles
14 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

To solve this problem, we are working on an automatic activation system of the relevant CV consumables when it is in danger.

sorry that I ping you, but I wanted that section highlighted

So basically, the player won't even have to actively use consumables to protect himself? Ehm... what? I think you are trying to oversimplify the gameplay at that point, seriously, this is getting way overboard.

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
10,294 posts
6,746 battles
6 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I just want to know what the compensation is

IIRC, players who voluntarily turn their ships in after the rework (mechanism TBA) will be given the XP back as free XP. The thing is, if you turn a Tier IV CV in, you turn in every CV above it as well. 

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC, players who voluntarily turn their ships in after the rework (mechanism TBA) will be given the XP back as free XP. The thing is, if you turn a Tier IV CV in, you turn in every CV above it as well. 

Not an issue, as I said I had no intention of ever playing a CV again. I'm more concerned with the compensation for my premium CV's. I spent actual money on those.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,460 posts
2,486 battles
5 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

sorry that I ping you, but I wanted that section highlighted

So basically, the player won't even have to actively use consumables to protect himself? Ehm... what? I think you are trying to oversimplify the gameplay at that point, seriously, this is getting way overboard.

In addition, it may turn them on when you don't want them, like when on fire, but the ship setting you on fire can do it again.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,405 posts
10 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Because it appears WG is pushing this hard, and ignoring most of the feedback? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[NGA]
Members
1,678 posts
9,097 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Not an issue, as I said I had no intention of ever playing a CV again. I'm more concerned with the compensation for my premium CV's. I spent actual money on those.

As I recall, you are given the value of the ship in doubloons.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
778 posts
2,015 battles

All I need for them to do is completely detail had any refunds will work. Can I get my XP refunded even if I dont own any of the CVs anymore?

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,194 posts
11,696 battles

From previous experiences, any premium ships refund doubloons, any tech tree ships refund credits.

I will keep all my precious .... babies in port 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,294 posts
6,746 battles
7 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Not an issue, as I said I had no intention of ever playing a CV again.

I hope for your sake that you're not going to be like one of those people who sold their Belfast or Kutuzov only to wind up regretting it after the fact. Personally I think you're being petty.

The test server was not and never could be an accurate representation of what sailing the reworked carriers will be like; the population was too small and too narrowly selected. Play them for a patch with the full, representative population of players on the server. THEN decide you're not going to go near them again. Dare you.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
clarification
  • Cool 8

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,248 posts
7,214 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

In addition, it may turn them on when you don't want them, like when on fire, but the ship setting you on fire can do it again.

Yeah, from all the attempts to simplify the gameplay, I feel like this one is probably the worst one I have seen. It denies any skill when managing your CV's consumables for the vast majority of the game.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles

I am looking forward to trying them out. I am horrible at multitasking so CV's were never a good option for me. The way the current model looks I will just hunt DD's exclusively. If I can get the enemy DD's out of the game early my team will almost always win.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I hope for your sake that you're not going to be like one of those people who sold their Belfast or Kutuzov only to wind up regretting it after the fact. Personally I think you're being petty.

The test server was not and never could be an accurate representation of what sailing the reworked carriers will be like; the population was too small and too narrowly selected. Play them for a patch with the full, representative population of players on the server. THEN decide you're not going to go near them again. Dare you.

Um, how'd you even get to there from what I said. I specifically said that if it goes live as it is, then I'm done with CV's. Virtually no-one thinks the current rework is workable. This isn't like the smoke firing nerf, it isn't even close, that was worked around, easily, and I sold none of the ships affected. 

This is an entire class being wrecked, and completely not fun to play. I paid real money for those ships, and now, for me, heck, for most, they'll be all but unplayable. That's not being petty, that's being an unsatisfied customer and wanting a refund.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,217 posts
7,783 battles

Well, that tears it. Sounds like they actually just didn't [edited] listen to anything that the testers told them.

What a joke, this is going to harm the game even more than the current system.

• Cool 1

Members
1,193 posts
4,504 battles

Well folks, seems like we have another powder keg ready to explode when 0.8.0 drops...

...guess we can equate this as the assassination of the Archduke CV

Can't wait for my Enterprise to be compensated, use that gold for something better

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 1