You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11C4O

The Gearing

15 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
306 posts
202 battles

I dusted off the Gearing so I could derp around. I hadn't played it since clan battles season one. 

I immediately realized that after over 3 years Gearing and Shima being the plank owner tier 10 DD's have been power crept by Gimmicks. The new Daring has so many gimmicks you have to actually look at your keyboard to not mash the wrong one. Yet here is the Gearing DFAA or speed boost. Come on WGing give the plank owner DD's some gimmick love like all the rest.

PS: it's smoke I know used to be it's gimmick but that's pretty irrelevant unless you play in COOP.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
6,109 posts
10,244 battles

Does this game really need more gimmicks?  

How about we take some away before we start adding more.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
34 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I dusted off the Gearing so I could derp around. I hadn't played it since clan battles season one. 

I immediately realized that after over 3 years Gearing and Shima being the plank owner tier 10 DD's have been power crept by Gimmicks. The new Daring has so many gimmicks you have to actually look at your keyboard to not mash the wrong one. Yet here is the Gearing DFAA or speed boost. Come on WGing give the plank owner DD's some gimmick love like all the rest.

PS: it's smoke I know used to be it's gimmick but that's pretty irrelevant unless you play in COOP.

I still think that the Gearing is the best general-purpose DD out there. Sure, the Shima has more torps and a couple of the gunboat DDs can take it 1v1 in a fight but overall the Gearing's "bag of tricks" still make it a force to be reckoned with. Those long-range torpedoes excel at area denial and being able to harass radar ships while staying outside radar range.  The stealth Legendary module makes it as undetectable as a Shima, which means that there is only one DD that can detect it while remaining undetected. When the radar is done, its guns can do significant damage to even BBs. I've sunk tier X cruisers 1v1 in gun battles by staying ahead of their turrets.

It can ramalamadingdong and kill a Yamato too (no ramming flag, either).

shot-18_12.17_13_26.14-0024.jpg.4dc625a2421df011736b1ffca336f815.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles

Come on, you know how this game is, if a USN ship is in anything but last place everyone screams USN BIAS.....especially the weeboos.

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,015 posts
8,371 battles
4 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Sweet mercy, this.

Also, Gearing doesn't need gimmicks, you just have to learn how to play her in the new environment.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,849 posts
4,153 battles
39 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

IMO , as much as I want to see a Radar jamming gimmick on Gearing or USN DD's. With the addition of the mk 16's Gearing is in a sweet spot right now. 

Outside of the model discrepancies which should be fixed at some point, i do not think we will see any changes to her especially with the CV rework coming in 8.0 which by default makes DF AA DD's that much more potent. 

[KP]
Members
306 posts
202 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I still think that the Gearing is the best general-purpose DD out there. Sure, the Shima has more torps and a couple of the gunboat DDs can take it 1v1 in a fight but overall the Gearing's "bag of tricks" still make it a force to be reckoned with. Those long-range torpedoes excel at area denial and being able to harass radar ships while staying outside radar range.  The stealth Legendary module makes it as undetectable as a Shima, which means that there is only one DD that can detect it while remaining undetected. When the radar is done, its guns can do significant damage to even BBs. I've sunk tier X cruisers 1v1 in gun battles by staying ahead of their turrets.

It can ramalamadingdong and kill a Yamato too (no ramming flag, either).

shot-18_12.17_13_26.14-0024.jpg.4dc625a2421df011736b1ffca336f815.jpg 

Nice

[-BRS-]
Members
402 posts
12,299 battles
4 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Give it radar, smoke, and heal.

AND Hydro

• Cool 2

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,530 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

it's smoke I know used to be it's gimmick but that's pretty irrelevant unless you play in COOP.

Try smoking your team in Randoms, I doubt they will find it irrelevant. I'm not even good and I know this.

[DEP]
Members
221 posts
15,837 battles

when ships are made properly and devs care more about gameplay than making an extra dollar, we all win. The gearing doesnt need a gimmick, and imo most of the gimmicks should be stripped off and the ships redone properly as the majority of the gimmicks are garbage (ie:french reloader)

[187]
Members
1,254 posts
7,830 battles
10 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Give it radar, smoke, and heal.

I even trained the extra "Large" smoke screen just for the heck of it....if I'm going to smoke up I smoke up.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Supertester
1,983 posts
9,196 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Amen Brother.:cap_like:

B

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,084 battles

I don’t think it really needs any. It’s got the best close range DD vs DD guns. It’s got one of the best torpedoes (both 16.5 and 10.5km torpedoes are comparable to Shimas 12km torps when compared across reload, range, detection range, and damage, although shima’s extra set of five torpedoes help). Everything else about it is pretty middle of the pack.

Sure, gimmicks might make it situationally better, but the gearing is undeniably the best generalistz