You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

How hard to impliment Tier=Tier MM Opt In

67 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
829 posts
1,888 battles

Just wondering how hard it would be to enable an option to select Tier = Tier Match Making if the player was willing to wait longer.

If you are in a Tier 5 Battleship and wanted to play Tier 5 ships only, and you are willing to wait 5 minutes for a battle, would it be that hard to enable a switch that allows you to wait longer for an even tier match?

Just thoughts if such an option would be feasible with WOWS.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

Modder, Beta Testers
1,576 posts
2,652 battles

While you may be willing to wait five minutes for your match, the problem would be the impact to standard queues if a chunk of the population is opting out of regular match making.  MM could certainly be improved but I don't think special same tier spread would be the solution.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

1 to 1 likely won't ever happen. 1+/-1 could though.

In high population times I would mind them having MM only seperate ships by 1 tier. Right now the biggest issues are seen at Tiers 5 and 8. I honestly don't find Tier 8s to be very bad, but I do find Tier 5s to be in much worse shape.

BBs at Tier 5 are much worse off vs Tier 7 BBs, and the same goes for Cruisers and DDs. Tier 8 may still not be great against Tier 10 but they have more benefits to play with at 8 than at Tier 5.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,731 posts
11,087 battles

Would not be hard at all and no way is WG going to do that nor should they.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
31 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Just wondering how hard it would be to enable an option to select Tier = Tier Match Making if the player was willing to wait longer.

If you are in a Tier 5 Battleship and wanted to play Tier 5 ships only, and you are willing to wait 5 minutes for a battle, would it be that hard to enable a switch that allows you to wait longer for an even tier match?

There should never be any opt ins or opt outs.  Every player should have to play with normal MM (whatever it happens to be), on all of the maps, and with whatever battle modes (i.e. Standard, Domination, Epicenter, whatever) exist.  None of this opt in or opt out nonsense.

Edited by Crucis

[NMKJT]
Members
3,597 posts
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

There should never be any opt ins or opt outs.  Every player should have to play with normal MM (whatever it happens to be), on all of the maps, and with whatever battle modes (i.e. Standard, Domination, Epicenter, whatever) exist.  None of this opt in or opt out nonsense.

WOT is planning opt out for maps in 2019, so that's going to put it on the table. I would opt out of Epicenter if I had a choice. Win or loss always rage quit after a match.

Op has a point that T5 MM is the worst, being +1/-2 and usually -2. WG doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it, which has got to cause attrition with new players. Boggles the mind this has not been addressed

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,182 posts
10,513 battles
13 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Op has a point that T5 MM is the worst, being +1/-2 and usually -2. WG doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it, which has got to cause attrition with new players. Boggles the mind this has not been addressed

They would have to admit that they made a mistake with the protected T4 MM in the first place. They don’t do that. 

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,172 posts
10,290 battles

WOWS especially NA just does not have the server population to do that nor even +1 -1 as the queue times would just be too long.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
54 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Its not about being hard or easy, its impraticable. We dont have a player base large enough. This would completely f**k with the MM. 

Players should jsut care less about the MM and more about their own gameplay and the ships thye like. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts

just think about it, everyone will be happily playing t6 or t8 games, forever, for FREE, who is going to pay the bills for WG?

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

They would have to admit that they made a mistake with the protected T4 MM in the first place. They don’t do that. 

They specifically said they wanted it like that.  In the Old MM we had Tier IV Phoenix, Kuma, Wyoming staring at the gun barrels of Tier VI Arizona, Molotov, Warspite.

They wanted the newer players to be protected in Tier IV.  It also appears Imperator Nikolai I needed MM Protection, also.  WG even said they knew Tier V-VI gets shafted because of this, and they were fine with it.

[KP]
Members
306 posts
202 battles
41 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

1 to 1 likely won't ever happen. 1+/-1 could though.

In high population times I would mind them having MM only seperate ships by 1 tier. Right now the biggest issues are seen at Tiers 5 and 8. I honestly don't find Tier 8s to be very bad, but I do find Tier 5s to be in much worse shape.

BBs at Tier 5 are much worse off vs Tier 7 BBs, and the same goes for Cruisers and DDs. Tier 8 may still not be great against Tier 10 but they have more benefits to play with at 8 than at Tier 5.

Not really. 9-10 get range and reload mods tier 8 doesn't. Now with many completing there grind for the Legendary Mods it makes the disparity even wider at tier 8. Tier 5 ships face no ships that get these "artificial" buffs.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,366 posts
9 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

WOWS especially NA just does not have the server population to do that nor even +1 -1 as the queue times would just be too long.

If they don't do something to hold onto players, you won't have to worry about waiting for matches....:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,366 posts
12 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

just think about it, everyone will be happily playing t6 or t8 games, forever, for FREE, who is going to pay the bills for WG?

That the same warped logic WG seems to operate under....

I wonder what would happen if they actually invested in game play, and offered the players something fun and exciting, rather than aggravating and annoying....:cap_hmm:

Perhaps people would simply pay for a good game, rather than a bunch of shiny objects...:Smile_trollface:

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

That the same warped logic WG seems to operate under....

I wonder what would happen if they actually invested in game play, and offered the players something fun and exciting, rather than aggravating and annoying....:cap_hmm:

Perhaps people would simply pay for a good game, rather than a bunch of shiny objects...:Smile_trollface:

i actually started a poll before how many want to pay monthly subscription fee, in exchange for making the game fun rather than annoying, i remember most of players said no, lol

Edited by Happy668

[NGAGE]
Members
3,071 posts
8,073 battles
12 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

People have said this often but I'm really skeptical.

The reason I'm skeptical is that most often, I'm nearly instant queued (except when diving with a CV). This means that some combination of this list is true:

• the matchmaker loves me and always drops me in a game
  • the matchmaker already has very short queue times
  • most games which are problematic would only need 2-3 more ships to replace (ie replacing all T8 ships in a mostly T9/10 game with other 9/10s)
  • this is true nearly all normal day hours
    • 7am CST - 10pm CST are primarily when I play and this is nearly always my experience anytime in that interval

Now it's entirely possible that my luck in matchmaking times is not representative. But I really do not understand anyone who says that queue times in this game are remotely long currently nor do I understand how +/-1 MM would add much more than a few seconds to the majority of times people spend waiting for a game.

can see this happening for times when the server pop is really low but my experience suggests that the queue time is already so fast that this hardly would have any impact.

Maybe I will start tracking my queue times for randoms (since WG will never release this info).

[WOLF5]
Members
1,990 posts
2,743 battles
38 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

They specifically said they wanted it like that.  In the Old MM we had Tier IV Phoenix, Kuma, Wyoming staring at the gun barrels of Tier VI Arizona, Molotov, Warspite.

They wanted the newer players to be protected in Tier IV.  It also appears Imperator Nikolai I needed MM Protection, also.  WG even said they knew Tier V-VI gets shafted because of this, and they were fine with it.

That's true, but the biggest reason they protected T4 was the CVs (as usual, CVs screwed up everything else). Brand new T4 CV players could come in, and be facing a Cleveland division. Think how much fun that would be. So they made it T5 max, and screwed over the T5s.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,015 posts
8,371 battles

The issues are A) Not enough players are willing to wait, I know I'm not, and B) The more players wait for specific queues, the longer the wait for all queues. It just isn't going to work.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,419 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, Fodder4U said:

You ever stop to think that the MM is one of the reasons behind the server population, via player attrition at tier 5?

OP's idea isn't great, but +1/-1 was mentioned further down and that would solve several problems and very likely help with playerbase growth.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[SQUAD]
Members
8,015 posts
8,371 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

You ever stop to think that the MM is one of the reasons behind the server population, via player attrition at tier 5?

Honestly, no, I'd have to disagree with that. I feel that the server population is what it is simply because the overall game just isn't as popular as it could be. It's a niche game, it just isn't for everyone.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,419 posts
3,895 battles
10 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Honestly, no, I'd have to disagree with that. I feel that the server population is what it is simply because the overall game just isn't as popular as it could be. It's a niche game, it just isn't for everyone.

That's only part of it.

A large number of players who are interested in the niche game appeal hit tier 5 and quit after repeated games against Nagatos and Scharnhorsts in their stock Omahas and Emeralds strangle the interest right out of them.

No, the game will never reach League of Legends or Overwatch appeal, but it should be pulling more than 10k in prime time. The game has a 45-50% churn rate, dude. Most companies lose their minds over a 5% churn.

If you don't know what churn is, you probably have no business discussing this subject, because it's pretty integral to costumer growth.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

WOT is planning opt out for maps in 2019, so that's going to put it on the table. I would opt out of Epicenter if I had a choice. Win or loss always rage quit after a match.

And WOT should not be caving in to the whiners either.

And what boggles the mind to me is the great number of self-entitled little crybabies who refuse to man up and face the world, who would spit in the eye of MM and show that they can succeed in the face of the worst that MM can throw at them.  Instead, it's easier for these crybabies to whine endlessly and quit the game, rather than man up!

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,419 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

And WOT should not be caving in to the whiners either.

And what boggles the mind to me is the great number of self-entitled little crybabies who refuse to man up and face the world, who would spit in the eye of MM and show that they can succeed in the face of the worst that MM can throw at them.  Instead, it's easier for these crybabies to whine endlessly and quit the game, rather than man up!

I can't fault anyone for wanting to play a good game instead of wasting their time and money on a bad one.

I for one don't play games with the intent of being frustrated while things beyond my control dictate my game experience. That's called a bad game.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I can't fault anyone for wanting to play a good game instead of wasting their time and money on a bad one.

Neither can I.  But WoWS is a good game.