You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Weezil

Flamed for using AP on The Conqueror.

64 comments in this topic

Members
112 posts
8,720 battles

What does the community expect from those using this ship? I was in a match yesterday and just for a change of pace i used AP exclusively, im a little bored with the whole "pew pew pew burn burn burn" style of play, and even though i put out 168k of damage some on my team seemed offended, even asserting that of being one reason we lost the match, one comment made to me that "Conquerors were made just to burn things". Well maybe so, but they can AP quite well too, IMO. What do you guys think?

• Cool 5

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles

They're idiots.  AP firing Conquerors have more impact on the outcome of the match than HE firing Conquerors.  A large percentage of this playerbase cannot wrap their heads around the idea that different kinds of damage have different values.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
5,875 posts
2,867 battles

I have honestly never seen a ship in the game that makes people as toxic and vitriol-filled as the Conqueror does.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,370 posts
10,928 battles

It is known for spamming napalm but last night in CB we ran into one that was not afraid of using AP and he was tearing us up until we started bow tanking him. It isn't that he ignored HE but AP was his go to and he rocked with it.

• Cool 1

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
603 posts
13,149 battles

Dude, it is strangely funny, people complain about the Conq endlessly but make no effort to attain one.  And what does WG do, they nerf the Conq!   Here are the Conq nerfs:

• increased Citadel
  • increased susceptibility to Fire
  • All BBs AP nerf to DD's
  • increased susceptibility to incapacitations to guns (so you cant use them)
  • decreased potential to set fires unless target ship has repair party available
  • frequency to set 2 fire increased (when target ship has repair party available)
  • Map initial positioning is poor usually on ends of the map but not always +- 70% of the tim

You can get around a lot of blockers that WG throws at you but you need to work at it.  

There is no reward to use AP even the 488 AP is worthless.  My w/l rate in the Conq when from 53 to 45 

Members
1,195 posts

RN tier VI and above BB's I seldom use HE, though I may select HE at the very start of the match if there is a high proportion of DD's in the game, but most games HE is never used.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,548 battles

Only legitimate reason I can see is if they are shooting at someone bow-on or if someone called out on chat that they used DC. 

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles
Just now, HooplaJones said:

Dude, it is strangely funny, people complain about the Conq endlessly but make no effort to attain one.  And what does WG do, they nerf the Conq!   Here are the Conq nerfs:

• increased Citadel
  • increased susceptibility to Fire
  • All BBs AP nerf to DD's
  • increased susceptibility to incapacitations to guns (so you cant use them)
  • decreased potential to set fires unless target ship has repair party available
  • frequency to set 2 fire increased (when target ship has repair party available)
  • Map initial positioning is poor usually on ends of the map but not always +- 70% of the tim

You can get around a lot of blockers that WG throws at you but you need to work at it.  

There is no reward to use AP even the 488 AP is worthless.  My w/l rate in the Conq when from 53 to 45 

I dare you to provide supporting data for the bolded "points". 

And no, how it feels to you doesn't count.

• Cool 3

[TBOW]
Members
361 posts
4,462 battles
30 minutes ago, Weezil said:

What does the community expect from those using this ship? I was in a match yesterday and just for a change of pace i used AP exclusively, im a little bored with the whole "pew pew pew burn burn burn" style of play, and even though i put out 168k of damage some on my team seemed offended, even asserting that of being one reason we lost the match, one comment made to me that "Conquerors were made just to burn things". Well maybe so, but they can AP quite well too, IMO. What do you guys think?

Just ignore the haters, AP Conq is powerful. Since many players expect HE to be heading their way (because its a conq) they feel safe when they turn broadside to your guns, not expecting a full salvo of AP. Just like the Spanish Inquisition, nobody expects the AP Conqueror.

unknown.png

[CAST]
Members
1,555 posts
8,005 battles

HE is just the go to shell type in these UK BBs.  It doesn't mean it should be the only ordinance being used.  I don't have the Conqueror, but when playing the other UK BBs I routinely shoot AP at opportunistic targets.  AP at a nice broadside BB or Cruiser will do much more damage than HE will at the same target.  However, if a BB shows up and bow tanks or angles, I switch over to HE and fire up the barbeque. 

[-K-]
Members
6,126 posts
10,290 battles
29 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I have honestly never seen a ship in the game that makes people as toxic and vitriol-filled as the Conqueror does.

A well played Khab or Haragumo may be a close second.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,548 battles
8 minutes ago, mfumukoskoldpadda said:

Just ignore the haters, AP Conq is powerful. Since many players expect HE to be heading their way (because its a conq) they feel safe when they turn broadside to your guns, not expecting a full salvo of AP. Just like the Spanish Inquisition, nobody expects the AP Conqueror.

unknown.png

Technically, the Spanish Inquisition had to give 20 days notice to the accused. :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Members
454 posts
8,650 battles

Conqueror has awesome AP, the ship is most effective when dynamically adjusting ammo type for the circumstances.

If people think the ship is OP using HE all the time then really the ship is extremely OP when using both HE and AP

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,191 posts
14,312 battles
47 minutes ago, Weezil said:

Your post title is a pun right? 

Sounds like you can't win no matter what. IF you stay in the back and spam HE like a Cruiser you get blasted for ineffectual damage and not helping the team win. IF you load AP and play like a BB should, doing good damage (168K is good),you get blasted for not spamming HE?

And people wonder why I have no use for PVP in this game.

• Angry 1

[TF-62]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,498 posts
4,146 battles

I run double trouble and use AP with the 457s. 
I usually catch some flak from the non-believers but by the end of the match, I generally earn a high place on the scoreboard. 

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

Conquerors have an excellent heal and I wish they would take advantage of it and push in rather than sitting 25 km from the fight as most do. Also, their fire-starting potential, while good, isn't exactly magnitudes better than other BBs using HE.  The Conqueror has a 48% chance of starting a fire with HE, the Montana has a 36% chance, the Kurfurst a 38% chance. Try using HE with your non-British BB sometimes and you usually will get a fire every two or three salvoes.

Edited by Snargfargle

[TAZ]
Members
437 posts

I burn the 1st 50K damage then switch to AP for the 2nd 50K, then back to HP for the remainder of the battle. It surprises the other team when you fire AP and rack up the cits.

[YORHA]
Members
4,047 posts
7,017 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

Graf Zeppelin smiles and waves from the corner.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,140 posts
19,989 battles
46 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

A well played Khab or Haragumo may be a close second.

I was thinking more like Harugumo or Worcester.  I think that a lot of the Khab hate has melted away with the introduction of both the Harugumo and Worcester.

[WORX]
Members
3,362 posts
14,753 battles
1 hour ago, HooplaJones said:

All BBs AP nerf to DD's

^^^^ I dont think this is a nerf by any stretch of the imagination. Data is showing BB are over performing DDs in tier 10. This is due to the recent armor/AP changes in all tiers however, its visible/detectable/noticeable  disparity  starts at tier 8.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

I think its generally a bad idea to use one ammo type exclusively in any ship, but yea, nothing wrong with using Conqs AP.