Sign in to follow this  
Kami

Sharing Some Holiday Cheer With a Veteran!

18 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles

Hello Captains,

With the holidays coming up and everyone getting ready to spend time with their families, I would like to propose we all share a little joy with Duane Sherman. 

Duane Sherman is a WWII veteran who is almost 96 years old and had one special request for his birthday. All of his friends have passed away (30 in a kamikaze attack) and he would be grateful to receive some cards from people to celebrate his birthday. 

https://www.wjbf.com/news/u-s-world-news/wwii-vet-wants-cards-for-96th-birthday-daughter-turns-to-internet-for-help/1640591818

iEarlGrey posted this request on Reddit and we would like to extend this to everyone on the forums!

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/a5fz1a/extremely_proud_of_wows_community_right_now/

• Cool 3

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles

Thanks for reposting this. I let my fleet know when I first saw the Reddit post.

Bravo Zulu

Lets all send cards!

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
308 posts
8,785 battles

@JollyRoger6969, @iEarlGrey, @iKami, Will do our best in both of my Clans to help out, myself being a 30 Year Vet, and some of our members are 70 Years old we understand to well this time of the year, Thank You for bringing this up to our attention gentlemen.

Safe Seas, and Happy Holidays,

Sere_Pj

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,736 posts
4,384 battles

I sent my card about a week ago.  It would be wonderful to flood his mailbox with well-wishes and merriment :fish_cute_2:.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles
2 hours ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Thanks for reposting this. I let my fleet know when I first saw the Reddit post.

Bravo Zulu

Lets all send cards!

Nice! Thanks for spreading the holiday cheer!

1 hour ago, Sere_Pj said:

@JollyRoger6969, @iEarlGrey, @iKami, Will do our best in both of my Clans to help out, myself being a 30 Year Vet, and some of our members are 70 Years old we understand to well this time of the year, Thank You for bringing this up to our attention gentlemen.

Safe Seas, and Happy Holidays,

Sere_Pj

Thank you for your service sir! 

1 hour ago, Amracil said:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. This gentleman served aboard a highly decorated Mahan-class destroyer. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lamson_(DD-367)

(*Edit to add: shared with all ICOP personnel)

Thank you for spreading the word to your clan and have a great holiday!

46 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I sent my card about a week ago.  It would be wonderful to flood his mailbox with well-wishes and merriment :fish_cute_2:.

That is very generous of you!

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
244 posts
4,033 battles

I shared with my clan too and my wife and I sent in a card. I hope they say how many get there. Hope he has a great birthday!

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles
1 hour ago, Capn_Nugget said:

I shared with my clan too and my wife and I sent in a card. I hope they say how many get there. Hope he has a great birthday!

Thank you captain for spreading some joy during the holidays!

• Cool 1

[NAM-4]
[NAM-4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
157 posts
5,797 battles

Posted the info to my group and on my works website as well. People are already making a card out to him while doing Christmas cards as well.

Alpha Tester
5,852 posts
2,864 battles

I guess I'll have to make another stop on my errands tomorrow. Also, I just realized that the ship he served on is in Neptune's Inferno, the book I'm reading right now.

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles

Bumping this as its probably the most important topic on the forums right now! xD

I'd love to somehow see the look on his face.

Also.. Sending two batches. One for X-mas and the other for his B-day on the 30th.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles
On 12/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, NAVYSEABEEPETE said:

Posted the info to my group and on my works website as well. People are already making a card out to him while doing Christmas cards as well.

Thanks! 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:22 PM, 1Sherman said:

I guess I'll have to make another stop on my errands tomorrow. Also, I just realized that the ship he served on is in Neptune's Inferno, the book I'm reading right now.

Nice, thanks for doing that! Btw that book is a really good read. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, JollyRoger6969 said:

Bumping this as its probably the most important topic on the forums right now! xD

I'd love to somehow see the look on his face.

Also.. Sending two batches. One for X-mas and the other for his B-day on the 30th.

Nice work captain! Should bring some cheer to his day!

Alpha Tester
5,852 posts
2,864 battles
Just now, iKami said:

Btw that book is a really good read. 

Ikr. I'm basically a Norman Scott fanboy now because of it.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
244 posts
4,033 battles

If anyone happens to find a followup on the story in early 2019 please post it. I'd love to hear the results and see how his birthday went. Thanks to all helping out. O7.

[PNG]
Beta Testers
185 posts
8,404 battles
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, iKami said:

Hello Captains,

With the holidays coming up and everyone getting ready to spend time with their families, I would like to propose we all share a little joy with Duane Sherman. 

Duane Sherman is a WWII veteran who is almost 96 years old and had one special request for his birthday. All of his friends have passed away (30 in a kamikaze attack) and he would be grateful to receive some cards from people to celebrate his birthday. 

https://www.wjbf.com/news/u-s-world-news/wwii-vet-wants-cards-for-96th-birthday-daughter-turns-to-internet-for-help/1640591818

iEarlGrey posted this request on Reddit and we would like to extend this to everyone on the forums!

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/a5fz1a/extremely_proud_of_wows_community_right_now/

iChase had this on his video week ago too

Sign in to follow this