Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sparviero

Imperatritsa Mariya - Russian Arc reward ship?

16 comments in this topic

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,407 posts
68 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_battleship_Imperatritsa_Mariya

Juat a premium to be named later or premium/gated reward ship? Seems like a popular enough ship to serve as a way to fast forward through parts of the Russian arc ala other ships like Cossack and Warspite for the RN arc. 

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
16 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Juat a premium to be named later or premium/gated reward ship? Seems like a popular enough ship to serve as a way to fast forward through parts of the Russian arc ala other ships like Cossack and Warspite for the RN arc. 

I think the Nikolai was already released and got pulled for being massively overpowered. Wargaming has a poor history of implementing Russian ships into the game. They are so biased hey believe heir ships were light years better than everyone else in the world and they were a major naval power.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
2 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

They are so biased hey believe heir ships were light years better than everyone else in the world and they were a major naval power.

The Russians were formidable on paper until the Japanese showed that what you had mattered less than how well you used it. The Japanese Navy was modelled on the Royal Navy because Togo worshipped Nelson and everything he stood for, and it showed in the results all the way up to the first half of 1942, but Yamamoto had always said he couldn't guarantee results past then anyway.

• Cool 1

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Russians were formidable on paper until the Japanese showed that what you had mattered less than how well you used it. The Japanese Navy was modelled on the Royal Navy because Togo worshipped Nelson and everything he stood for, and it showed in the results all the way up to the first half of 1942, but Yamamoto had always said he couldn't guarantee results past then anyway.

remember reading that during the battle Togo did not go into the conning tower but stood out on the bridge wing unprotected. So did the Russian Admiral. The Russian Admiral was killed by a incoming shell which threw the command and control of the Russian unites into disarray. How brave were those gentlemen. I would have been in that conning tower peaking out of those little slits lol. 

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Russians were formidable on paper until the Japanese showed that what you had mattered less than how well you used it.

It was really a little complicated than that. The Russian navy had just sailed halfway around the world, had not had any chance to refit in 7 months. In the initial stages of Tsushima the Russians were winning the long range gunnery duel until the Japanese managed to close the range to about 6000 meters and the rest as they say was history.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
3 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

It was really a little complicated than that.

The Russian Navy had deeper problems, one of which related to the fact that the other half of it had to go halfway round the world in the first place. They were not very well led, and I suspect the British could have done a lot better under the same circumstances. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Russian Navy had deeper problems. 

But not generally in design. Looking after the ships once they had been delivered was problematic, but the 4 'new' battleships present at the battle where good ships, that if allowed to act as an independent squadron could have given a good account of themselves.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
3 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Looking after the ships once they had been delivered

...is everything. 

Alpha Tester
2,233 posts
1 hour ago, Sparviero said:

Doubtful as we already have Okt Rev, unless the VMF BBs prove popular enough to merit a campaign. Considering the Mariyas were the last battleships ever built in Russia, I'm a bit surprised they left her out of the tech tree in favour of a paper/fake ship. But she is my most favourite warship so I'm actually relieved she's not in the tech tree. I wouldn't want to see her in a fake Soviet refit like Izmail.

56 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I think the Nikolai was already released and got pulled for being massively overpowered. Wargaming has a poor history of implementing Russian ships into the game. They are so biased hey believe heir ships were light years better than everyone else in the world and they were a major naval power.

Well at least WG learned their lesson with Okt Rev, I hope. Personally I like to believe they were still a major naval power during WW1 when they had 4 Ganguts and 4 Mariyas in service, with 4 Izmails and the Nikolai under construction. But thanks to the revolution those ships were never completed. It's WG glorifying the Soviet Navy as if they were a major naval power (when it was them who scrapped Nikolai and the Izmails) that make me cringe.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,164 posts
10,799 battles
40 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Doubtful as we already have Okt Rev, unless the VMF BBs prove popular enough to merit a campaign. Considering the Mariyas were the last battleships ever built in Russia, I'm a bit surprised they left her out of the tech tree in favour of a paper/fake ship. But she is my most favourite warship so I'm actually relieved she's not in the tech tree. I wouldn't want to see her in a fake Soviet refit like Izmail.

Well at least WG learned their lesson with Okt Rev, I hope. Personally I like to believe they were still a major naval power during WW1 when they had 4 Ganguts and 4 Mariyas in service, with 4 Izmails and the Nikolai under construction. But thanks to the revolution those ships were never completed. It's WG glorifying the Soviet Navy as if they were a major naval power (when it was them who scrapped Nikolai and the Izmails) that make me cringe.

And then just before WWII Stalin got bit by the battleship bug and tried to go nuts building them. It wasn't til he died that the Soviets stopped trying to build a battleship surface navy.  Sure would have been easier had they not scrapped the navy they had half finished already.

[NUWES]
Members
2,137 posts
6,761 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Exactly. The Russian ships were actually pretty decent. They also had more ships. Not all of them were great ships, but the same was true of the Japanese. The Japanese won mostly because Togo was a far better commander than all the Russians save perhaps Makarov, and the Japanese crews were far better trained. Truthfully, I think Togo was Japan's best ever naval commander. Yamamoto was highly regarded but he made poor tactical decisions of splitting up his forces unnecessarily throughout the early part of the war that cost Japan dearly, and went completely against Togo's views of consolidate and strike with overwhelming force. 

I used to have and old computer game that replayed Tsushima and I could never figure out how the Japanese ever won … until I read up on the battle and realized the poor state of Russian morale, the overloaded ships, the poor training and the general ineptitude of Admiral Rozhdestvensky. You could only play the Japanese side and the game  started with you having to deploy your fishing boats to figure out which of three approaches the Russians would use. To hedge your bets you usually had to deploy warship squadrons to help cover the approaches. Once the Russians were spotted you then had to hurriedly consolidate your smaller force and then do battle with the Russians before they steam past Japan. It was so complicated I could never get my forces together in enough time to meet the Russians with even close to my full force. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

Alpha Tester
2,233 posts
2 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

And then just before WWII Stalin got bit by the battleship bug and tried to go nuts building them. It wasn't til he died that the Soviets stopped trying to build a battleship surface navy.  Sure would have been easier had they not scrapped the navy they had half finished already.

Thank goodness they never came to fruition. It's just nice knowing the Imperatritsa Mariya were the last Russian BBs ever built, forcing WG to rely on papers and/or fakes for the Soviet Navy.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,164 posts
10,799 battles
18 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Thank goodness they never came to fruition. It's just nice knowing the Imperatritsa Mariya were the last Russian BBs ever built, forcing WG to rely on papers and/or fakes for the Soviet Navy.

Yeah. As it stands, it's now:
T3: Design
T4: Built
T5: Obscure Design
T6: Unfinished
T7: Design
T8: Design
T9: Unfinished
T10: Design

They could have had T5 as a built ship >:C

[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,322 battles

I have every confidence that we’ll see this ship as a premium, eventually.

Alpha Tester
2,233 posts
12 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

They could have had T5 as a built ship >:C

I guess WG is too ashamed to have Russia's last ever built BB at T5 whereas other nations have theirs placed at higher tiers (e.g. Iowa T9, Vanguard T8, Yamato T10).

12 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

I have every confidence that we’ll see this ship as a premium, eventually.

Whether she will have her historical WW1 hull remains to be seen though.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,164 posts
10,799 battles
9 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Whether she will have her historical WW1 hull remains to be seen though.

True. She blew up at anchor in 1916, after all. Imperatritsa Ekaterina Velikaya was scuttled in 1918, and Imperator Aleksandr III went through a few owners before being scrapped in 1936.  You might be able to put one of them at T4, but without fictional refits, I can't see T5.

Sign in to follow this