You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_HatTrick_

Kiev or Ognevoi first?

11 comments in this topic

[ADPT2]
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Thread title pretty much says it all.  I'm at about 41k xp on my Minsk.  Not sure which one of these tier 8s I should unlock first.  I'd welcome any suggestions and reasons why to go with one over the other.  For the record on my Soviet DD experience so far, I really like Minsk so far.  I've had some pretty good games in it with a few clunkers mixed in.  Gnevny, I have mixed feelings about.  My winrate in Gnevny was really good, pushing almost 70%, but I had trouble getting consistent damage in it.  

[RLGN]
Members
9,408 posts
18,821 battles

For what my saying so is worth; whichever leads to Grozovoi.

Because of being shot to hell by it so much, my dislike of Khab is as deep as the sea, and I avoided it for that irrational reason alone.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,068 posts
14,860 battles

Kiev is a good Tier 8 gun boat. But the Ognevoi will get you to the Udaloi which is a very good Tier 9 Destroyer. 

• Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I would do Kiev first. It is a traditional RU gunboat and fairly simple to do well in. Ognevoi takes much more skill. If you want to play a more traditional DD role of spotting and torping with a little gunboating thrown in there, then go Oggy. If you want to play hair-on-fire russian gunboating, then you need the kiev. It leads to Tashkent which is tied with Khaba for best gunboat in game. They each have their strengths. Tashkent and Khaba are my absolute favorite boats in the game, but you have to learn the style or you will get sunk quickly and frequently as other posters have mentioned. They are not traditional DDs. They are fire support. You don't cap until late game and you stay waaaay the heck back and light everything on fire. It's an absolute riot.

[AAA]
Members
545 posts
6,430 battles

Kiev. Xp past oggy. Ud, Tash, and Kiev all play the same. Well they are RU gun boats. Oggy is a weird dd. Torps were tough to use and only two main guns. I played it like a gun boat with occasional torps landing. 

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
362 posts
8,435 battles

Kiev is a blast to play and seems to follow a trend with the gun boat part of the line. OG is way different its a Russian Japanese dd with some what good concealment when spec'd for it. 

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
325 posts
16,935 battles
On 12/15/2018 at 7:42 PM, _HatTrick_ said:

Thread title pretty much says it all.  I'm at about 41k xp on my Minsk.  Not sure which one of these tier 8s I should unlock first.  I'd welcome any suggestions and reasons why to go with one over the other.  For the record on my Soviet DD experience so far, I really like Minsk so far.  I've had some pretty good games in it with a few clunkers mixed in.  Gnevny, I have mixed feelings about.  My winrate in Gnevny was really good, pushing almost 70%, but I had trouble getting consistent damage in it.  

I like Kiev and play her a lot even though I completed both RU DD lines.

You drive Kiev at full speed and derp  enemies from from a distance- I would emphasize "full speed" and "from a distance".  She has ~8-km torp so you dump them when enemies are coming towards you (people miscalculate range of Kive's torps) or into smoke  from the side where unsuspecting ships are hiding (again people don't expect someone will zoom in to torp).  You use WASD hack at full speed to dodge incoming shells so your enemies think something wrong with their internet speed. You keep pressing your left-mouse button until it breaks or you need to bandage your fingers from skin abrasion.

You play smart by keeping some brave morons on your team  between you and enemies as baits. The point here is that you are trying to keep front line ships on your team alive  so enemies will shoot at them instead of you in a fast moving small ship behind them. And you can stabbed enemies DD to death while they are busy fighting your friendly DDs. It's extremely important to help DD on your team with better concealment since you are effectively blind once they are dead. 

I generally use smoke for cruisers on my team since you NEVER stop Kiev. Just remember, smoke consumable is WG's way of nerfing Kiev.

If you happen to be the only DD on your your team,  you tell your team that you are not a DD and WG wrongly classify a cruiser as a DD. 

You spec your Kiev and her commander to improve your speed and gun power so you can zigzag the map like a really annoying pest.

ps both RU DDs lines are good. Kiev-Khabar line is suitable for people who don't want to sit still irl.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1