You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anij

DD Suicides Creating Game In-balance

37 comments in this topic

Members
235 posts
5,836 battles

More and more DD players are charging into the caps and then they get blasted before the slower CA and BBs can get into a position or even effective range to support properly. For example last nite on Shattered a Fletcher, Khab and Gearing were all sunk in under 5 minutes. Even the other team asked us wth happened! Of course we lost but unfortunately this is not some isolated case. This happens repeatedly and more so at the higher tiers then in the lower tiers though im not sure why this is the case.

This kind of behavior throws the whole battle out of balance.

Your team

Loses its scouts

Loses its prime source of torpedo launchers

Loses some cap capability but more importantly

35% of your team is gone and now your team is at a very serious disadvantage

I am not sure how this problem can be addressed but from the top of my head there are 2 things that can be done:

Since DDs have such a huge impact on a team’s chance to win either:

• Increase the rewards for DD drivers to stay alive longer possibly getting XP for battle longevity. I probably scout, cap then torp and shoot if I have too and it is very situational but scouting is a priority and hopefully my team takes the advantage of my spotting to sink enemy shipd but more importantly I figure the longer I live the better chance my team has to win. It doesn’t always go that way but it works most of the time. This actually is really demanding and can be a lot of work and requires a lot of patience. What is clear the rewards that you get at the end of all this effort quite frankly even on a winning team sucks ape nuts!

• Finally Reduce the number of DD per battle to a hard cap of 3 to lessen their impact.

While the first option is possible, the 2nd clearly isn’t so I rather propose something to even it all out

Increase the number of Consumable slots

• Give all Ships Smoke

DDs get 3, CAs 2 and BBs 1

• Give all ships Hydro

DDs get 1, CAs get 3 and BBs 1

• Give all Ships speed boosts

DDs get 3, CAs 2 and BBs 1

At least teams that lose all their DDs due to suicide can at least now have a fighting chance to either defend themselves or take offensive action.

I am really fed up that a large bunch of lazy DD drivers can affect the game so badly because they need to rush their double XP for the day or they don’t like the map or team match up.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[CHASE]
Members
4,565 posts
12,043 battles

There have always been poor dd players problem is there are more poor ones then good ones. I get frustrated by that same thing so I have to take my dds out just to get more wins. They don't seem to take account of radar and just charge in like idiots. I try to do hit and run which works good when there is lots of radar. Just have to keep in mind where the cruisers are that have it and what their range is with that radar. Most players don't know that and that is where we get those who complain about radar. I play dds and yes radar is a pain but I learn from it.

• Boring 1

[H_]
Members
2,173 posts

Affect the game?  Like the no skill radar?  Affect the game.........like surviving at a cap at tier 5 and up now has nothing to do with your skill; but rather, whether someone, somewhere hits a consumable button and you immediately die???

Oh, a DD problem?  Now, no matter how good you are.........it doesn't matter.  Radar is 100% accurate and it takes zero skill to use it.....of course, that is the DD's problem....

And, you wonder why there are DD issues or problems?  Are you blind to the meta that has completely eliminated traditional DD roles and completely disrupted game play since the cruiser line split?

DD suicides?  Ah, caps are where we are suppose to be and radar get us destroyed...........and, if we fail to go to the caps, all we hear is crap from everyone else whom expect us to die so they have something tho shoot at........or else...

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts

There are....'poor players' who play all ship types, it's just the game mechanics mean a mistake in a DD can be more costly.

Keeping with the topic, I suppose the DD players will either learn from their mistakes, move to a ship type that more suits their play (no I am not saying other ship types are easier), carry on dying early, or just leave the game.

In a team based game you have to learn to play with both the good and bad. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles

Just a "DDs no need to rush into caps and die" message will avoid that a lot of times. Many DDs would have been forced to do that by previous team mates. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,277 posts
18,607 battles

People that don't play Destroyers do not understand how risky playing them are.  Even a decent DD player makes one little slip, he's dead.  If you guys really think it's easy being a Destroyer, I highly suggest playing them.  You'll appreciate the sh*t they go through.

The idea of giving everyone smoke, hydro, engine boost is not a good idea.

Lessening the amount of DDs in a game does not diminish their impact.  Their job is still too vital.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 5

Members
978 posts

DD Suicides is a North American tragedy. You can help put an end to DD Suicide by just talking to your DD. Stress their impotence. Help them overcome feelings of inadequacy. Tell them there are cures for erectile dysfunction.

With your help we can get DD’s to go longer than thirty seconds. Perhaps someday reach a full minute before they explode. 

Thank You

#DDLIVESMATTER

• Funny 6

Members
978 posts

The concept of giving all DD’s Players Engine Shaft Boost, Marlboro Smokes and Hydro lubricant is noble but we are trying to keep these playas in the game not doing what comes after the game. 

Let’s be honest. Many DD playas need the Enterprises Shields, Klingon Disruptors and Luke Skywalker to steer their ship just to make it to the Cap!!!   Nothing short of a cloaking device is going to keep these radar and hydro junkies alive. 

Members
70 posts
2,196 battles

When you play a DD there is pressure to get the caps and scout what ever is stealing your own cap. Many get tunnel visioned though, and lose awareness of radar cruisers and just yolo.

Always have to keep track of where radar is on the map and their distance to you. At the same time, keeping track of enemy DDs. If you get spotted in front of two cruisers you're still going to get blapped for 3/4 health. You have to recognise your opportunities to be aggressive and pick when it's better just to keep things spotted.

DD play changes so much as you go up tiers with the intro of radar, probably more than any other ship type. How you played in lower tiers doesn't work in high tier.

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

All ships do not need hydro and smoke; it's like alleviating one supposed inbalance with a clear and obvious inbalance.

If you're having problems with DD's, simply talk to them in chat...seriously. I am a cruiser main, if I intend to support a DD, I say so in chat, I also tell them to slow up some so the cruisers can get closer. If I have radar, I tell them to get ready, if the cap is opposed. If I am in a DD, as another example, I tell cruisers what cap I am heading to etc. I even share oddities, as in Haida, I let them know if they want to use my smoke, it's creeping smoke.

The point is, communication is key.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts
2 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

All ships do not need hydro and smoke; it's like alleviating one supposed inbalance with a clear and obvious inbalance.

If you're having problems with DD's, simply talk to them in chat...seriously. I am a cruiser main, if I intend to support a DD, I say so in chat, I also tell them to slow up some so the cruisers can get closer. If I have radar, I tell them to get ready, if the cap is opposed. If I am in a DD, as another example, I tell cruisers what cap I am heading to etc. I even share oddities, as in Haida, I let them know if they want to use my smoke, it's creeping smoke.

The point is, communication is key.

:cap_yes: Hmmmm, what is this thing called 'communication' you talk about? :cap_wander: You know, it might just work! :cap_win:

[A-D-F]
Members
1,532 posts

So, the fact that roughly half your battles are in battleships wouldn't have anything to do with your desire to cap the number of destroyers in a match?

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,606 posts
4 hours ago, Anij said:

More and more DD players are charging into the caps and then they get blasted

Yet, when you don't everyone on the team complains and your Karma goes down by 4 because it's well known that this is what DDs are supposed to do, right?

Snarkiness aside, it's taking some time for the playerbase to get used to how DDs must now act under the new radar meta.

Videos may contribute to this for new players as they see content creators succeeding in DDs and follow their tactics. However, the videos may be from a year or two ago and the tactics shown may not apply to how the game is played today. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[-BRS-]
Members
2,820 posts
16,334 battles

I would have to say if you don't like the DD drivers on your side get out and drive one yourself

there's a lot of bad play for of all types of drivers Out there not just destroyers

It's a hard knock life for us in in upper tiers it's  Very difficult to do that job well

• Cool 3

[UN1]
Members
586 posts
2,138 battles

The reality is that most players - battleship, cruiser, and destroyer players alike - simply don't understand the core mechanics of how to actually win games.  Statistically, the team who loses the first destroyer is at a much higher percentage chance of losing the game, and that's directly related to the vision control that destroyers provide.  Good destroyer players know this, and that's why they can almost single-highhandedly win games for their teams.  Bad destroyer players who think it's just all about "dat ph4t t0rp dr0pz", well, they lose games for their team.  It's no different than cruiser players who opt to "farm" a battleship over focusing a destroyer, or a battleship player doing the same.  If you want to consistently win games, you need to win the vision game.  It's true in WoWS, and it was true in real life as well.

I realize people get really salty and blame their team for losing matches, but the truth is that games are most often dictated in the first 3-5 minutes.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,771 posts
29,303 battles

Spotting damage yields very low XP rewards. That needs to change. 

It’s very difficult to perform a DD’s functions when your cruisers and BBs hang back and hide behind rocks. 

• Cool 2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,958 posts
16,025 battles

Demand demand demand! I can only hardy har har since all my laugh emojis are used up

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
313 posts
7,064 battles

The funniest part of this to me is that many players complaints about DD impact sound a lot like previous comments about CV impact. I think the BB drivers need to just accept that they are there to look flashy and intimidating, but they really don't mean much to final victory, just like in real life...

[KWC]
Members
297 posts
8,057 battles
4 hours ago, Toxic_Potato said:

DD Suicides is a North American tragedy. You can help put an end to DD Suicide by just talking to your DD. Stress their impotence. Help them overcome feelings of inadequacy. Tell them there are cures for erectile dysfunction.

With your help we can get DD’s to go longer than thirty seconds. Perhaps someday reach a full minute before they explode. 

Thank You

#DDLIVESMATTER

LOL!

[WOLFC]
Members
1,145 posts
2,774 battles

Last game I just played, had a DD player at start say...I’m rushing C point. Needless to say he was first to die. And he didn’t care one bit, saying sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. 

Well his F up cost us left side of map.

Members
923 posts
5,209 battles

DD plays aggressively = gets yelled at for dying early.

DD plays cautiously = gets yelled at for not spotting/capping.

DD attempts best of both worlds = gets chewed out by all parties.

• Cool 4

Members
4,537 posts
7,377 battles

Some DD players believe what they are told in the forums - that they should cap, cap , cap  and if they don't - they get crapped on.  BBs have some of the same issues when people insist they should be at the front tanking multiple red ships because - that is what they should do - blindly.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,368 posts
8,370 battles

There was a Mino on my team recently that had several hundred games and a 36% WR in the Mino.

I was surprised someone could actually accomplish that until I realized their strategy was "sail towards cap in no camo and get devastated for first blood." Assuming that strategy is what that player does frequently it means that his team is basically down a CA every game.