You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Camo preferences...

Camo preferences...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Choosing the right camo

• Keep it dark and subdued because I want to hide my bacon.
    • Say it loud and proud...I dare you to come and take my bacon.
    • Make the bonus good enough and I'll buy my own bacon.

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,150 posts
14,783 battles

What got me to thinking about camos was a 20 bundle of big Santa Crates. Nine of which contained this year's New Year Streamer paint jobs. Along with the mandatory Krispy Kreme that everyone seems to be getting and no chance of getting any premium time this year it'll be the only bundle I buy this year. After all I'm still working to get rid of some of the Frosty Fir Tree camos from last year.

While comparing this years to last years camo and deciding I like this year's better not because of the marginally better bonuses but because it wasn't as loud and obvious.

All the camos(except the first two) have the same benefits in terms of computer generated visibility and shell dispersion. It's still a combination of human eyes and brain that have to put the gun sights in the right place. Does the camo we use help or hinder those red devils trying to put the gun sights on us.

Now as we all know the game provides us with a number of weather and lighting conditions to help confuse the eyes and brains. It may not happen often but when the first indication I have that a dark quiet ship is sitting or sailing next to a dark island is I notice it on the mini map then it means the camo they chose is working. It's not like those loud neon day glow ARP ships or the other bright candy cane colored camos we get to use that can be spotted anytime, anywhere.

Certain camos I'd sell and never use except they come with some really good bonuses. Need XP. FXP or commander XP there's a camo that'll help get you there even if it does make you a better target. 

What do the rest of you think about when choosing your ship's paint job.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver
  • Cool 1

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

It better be a statement piece. I love seeing camos like these. Sometimes I buy permacamos simply because they look so good. Here are some examples (wg pls add these, you already teased them):

Spoiler

867f1460-6699-11e8-99f0-d89d6715223c_1200x.thumb.jpg.d486403d48db224ba09808983257e22c.jpg

86819ab4-6699-11e8-a9c4-d89d6715223c_1200x.thumb.jpg.a755204bc3141c777240c0b937df8480.jpg

3f00627c-9cab-11e8-87c0-d89d6715223c_1200x.thumb.jpg.4dae38ce9ac6c2a1840e09c4108c76bc.jpg

11558f08-7dcc-11e8-8bc0-d89d6715223c_1200x.thumb.jpg.c483ed64788d15a39774963fb21c10bb.jpg

[MLPVA]
Members
273 posts
3,479 battles

I really like the Shadow Lurker camo that was in the Black Friday crates. I wouldn't mind those getting added to the Arsenal to buy for coal. Großer Kurfürst looks amazing decked out in black.

Edited by DarfTarts421

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles

I like the historical or at least in a historical style, may absolute favorite it the De Grasse's dazzle.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,987 posts
21,068 battles

I never sell camos.  I'll always use them, no matter how loud or subdued.  Overall, I'm with @BrushWolf and prefer historical or historically inspired camos.  But anything that has relative subdued colors is preferable, aesthetically speaking, to loud and obnoxious color palettes.   Still, I never sold a single one of those obnoxious Frosty Fir camos because their benefits were too good to be thrown away.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
31 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I never sell camos.  I'll always use them, no matter how loud or subdued.  Overall, I'm with @BrushWolf and prefer historical or historically inspired camos.  But anything that has relative subdued colors is preferable, aesthetically speaking, to loud and obnoxious color palettes.   Still, I never sold a single one of those obnoxious Frosty Fir camos because their benefits were too good to be thrown away.

The darker subdued colors seem to me to actually have some concealment value in some situations.  The loud ones, seems to me, just announce here I am!  Seems to me. :Smile_unsure:

[SALVO]
Members
20,987 posts
21,068 battles
5 minutes ago, dmckay said:

The darker subdued colors seem to me to actually have some concealment value in some situations.  The loud ones, seems to me, just announce here I am!  Seems to me. :Smile_unsure:

When cyclones first came out, the visual effects were much better, similar to the current storm  visuals where a ship can blend into the "fog", particularly at the edge of detection range.  And when you have a darker, grayer toned camo, ships would blend into the fog a LOT easier than ships with bright, loud camos.  Frankly, the way it should be.

On a related side note, I think that the devs aren't showing much originality and outside the box thinking with the camos.   All they're doing is taking that simple, basic Type 5 camo, i.e. the one with the -3%/+4% benefits and nothing more (and costs 22,500 credits), and slapping on some credit and/or XP benefits, and that's all.  Very little variation outside of the credit/XP benefits.

What I think they should consider doing is creating a lot more benefits variety.  For example, maybe subdued camos could have slightly better concealment but at the cost of the dispersion benefits.  Perhaps -4% to concealment but only +2 to dispersion.  And on the flip side, maybe louder camos might have worse concealment but better dispersion benefits, like perhaps -1 or 2% to concealment but +5% to dispersion.  And for that matter, they shouldn't just settle on those two possibilities.  You could have a hardcore concealment camo (with very subdued color palette) with -5% to concealment but no bonus to dispersion.  And a hardcore dispersion camo (with loud color palettes) with no concealment benefits but something like +6% to dispersion.

Overall, the idea would be to create a much wider array of camos that weren't all mild variations on the exact same -3%/+4% theme.

Anyways, just a thought.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,701 posts
10,034 battles
2 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

What do the rest of you think about when choosing your ship's paint job.

I always take realistic camouflages over funky carnival camouflage; unless i direly need a ship or module out of the way then i cover my eyes and focus om the mini-map.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,701 posts
10,034 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Overall, the idea would be to create a much wider array of camos that weren't all mild variations on the exact same -3%/+4% theme.

Anyways, just a thought.

And a very good one, i suggest you drop this one on @Pigeon_of_War doorstep!

Edited by Crokodone

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
742 posts
11,045 battles

There are some garish camo's, but at the same time there isn't a camo I do not like.

The first camo to stand out for me was Myoko's permanent camo.  Out of every single ship (ARP not being included due to their camo not actually being camo), her's stands out (even after the introduction of new ships), especially within the IJN line.  When that black camo for Dunkerque was released, it was a close tie between her's and Myoko's, though I still favored Myoko's.  Then the 4 B's came out...  For me they top even those two.  They did an absolutely amazing job with them. :Smile_medal:

[WDS]
Members
1,710 posts
8,699 battles
3 hours ago, DarfTarts421 said:

I really like the Shadow Lurker camo that wad in the Black Friday crates. I wouldn't mind those getting added to the Arsenal to buy for coal. Großer Kurfürst looks amazing decked out in black.

This ^

Members
923 posts
5,220 battles

Anyone else still miffed about that gallant alternate premium camo?

Also... sailing my ice/snow edi camo is great and stealthy... until i wind up in the warmer pacific maps and stick out like a broadside smokeless minotaur.

I'll sail in hyper neon dayglo pink if the bonuses rock... otherwise give me dark and subdued.

Members
1,150 posts
14,783 battles
12 hours ago, DarfTarts421 said:

I really like the Shadow Lurker camo that was in the Black Friday crates. I wouldn't mind those getting added to the Arsenal to buy for coal. Großer Kurfürst looks amazing decked out in black.

I totally agree. The Shadow Lurker camos look amazing on all the ships. It's a shame there's no way to stock up on them.

[DIEBL]
Members
556 posts
6,360 battles

Have Halloween Camos, want more Space Camos, NEED PIRATE SHIP CAMOS.  We’re talking The age of sail with giant cannonball launchers for Khab, Shima, Henri, Hindi, Yamato, and Montana and whichever carrier didn’t get the spaceship (Taiho?)

So, in essence, I prefer ship geometry-altering camos.