You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

Attacked for mounting Spotter on DM

172 comments in this topic

Members
842 posts
3,792 battles

798873047_statshamer1-Copy.thumb.png.cd781ddcd63ef7a73de68dae1bb70728.png

1092115060_statshamer2-Copy.thumb.png.aa20858e5b2c9e7beced8b70e791eb8b.png1705210690_statshamer3-Copy.thumb.png.e6d02cbeedceab9488fb557327849d18.png

So this is my first case of being personally attacked while using spotter plane Des Moines, which I actually somewhat anticipated.

I have already sent a ticket to WG.

Basically what happened was that I was behind an island overlooking B on the Sea Of Fortune map, completely safe, having retreated after killing a Salem. I warned his Grosser Kurfurst (assuming it was his different account because he seemed to be the only one that "died for me" that match), to not overextend. He didn't comply and went right into the middle of B, being concentrated by smoked Destroyer and Cruiser classes, and a handful of Battleships. He eventually lost enough health and was finished by a torpedo. After that he simply cursed in the chat and didn't say anything after that.

Or he actually could've been a Shimakaze that was behind me and was completely unsupported, and he ate a torpedo behind me, and got finished off by another Destroyer's gun without trying to conceal himself.

Is it necessarily a bad idea to mount Spotter Plane on Des Moines? I've seen Yuro do well in it and I don't seem to be doing bad in it either. It's more useful than Radar sometimes because Radar can really only benefit my team, that is if they are still intact with me. While Spotter can support both my team for spotting, and myself for longer range and to shoot over obstacles. I have Hydro still which is to compensate if I'm rushing a smoke. But often in my matches there are a good supply of radar ships that are still on my flanks. 

Edited by TitanicMan2
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 2

Members
266 posts
2,743 battles

Yes. You should feel bad for using the spotter.

Radar grants you a 40-48 second aura where you detect DDs or hidden ships or smoke for the entire team to obliterate. The damage done there vastly exceeds your attempts to lob shells with horrible flight time a teeny bit further. Likewise, the spotting of the plane is nowhere remotely near as good as the Radar. 

DDs win games when they are left uncountered. You are the counter for your team to win the game.

• Cool 22
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Too many people too concerned with how other people play, rather than themselves.

If you want competitive play, go to Ranked/CB.  Random is exactly that.  Random.

• Cool 21

Members
842 posts
3,792 battles
Just now, Neph said:

Radar grants you a 40-48 second aura where you detect DDs or hidden ships or smoke for the entire team to obliterate. The damage done there vastly exceeds your attempts to lob shells with horrible flight time a teeny bit further. Likewise, the spotting of the plane is nowhere remotely near as good as the Radar. 

DDs win games when they are left uncountered. You are the counter for your team to win the game.

Spotter at times can spot destroyers over islands (albeit not guaranteed but for a longer duration) and it also gets me the benefit of even doing a DD's role of scouting and spotting enemies.

There's also no shortage of radar ships at tier 10 on both sides generally and they can sometimes fill in the roles.

I've been switching between using spotter and radar on my Des Moines and while radar has proven itself time to time, spotter seems to have the better flexibility overall.

Then again you also shouldn't underestimate the importance of radar. It is indeed a powerful and effective consumable, but often it's too situational.

• Cool 3

Members
266 posts
2,743 battles
1 minute ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Spotter at times can spot destroyers over islands (albeit not guaranteed but for a longer duration) and it also gets me the benefit of even doing a DD's role of scouting and spotting enemies.

There's also no shortage of radar ships at tier 10 on both sides generally and they can sometimes fill in the roles.

I've been switching between using spotter and radar on my Des Moines and while radar has proven itself time to time, spotter seems to have the better flexibility overall.

Then again you also shouldn't underestimate the importance of radar. It is indeed a powerful and effective consumable, but often it's too situational.

The plane's orbit and the distance a DD can be spotted without doing something foolish is smaller than what Radar covers. Also, Planes can't spot targets in smoke, and the orbit means the DD even if caught is off-scope in about 15 seconds instead of 40. Worse yet, the plane could be shot down or orbiting the wrong side of your ship. 

Really, there's a reason why Radar is the go-to. If you want to use the plane, use a different ship instead of throwing away possibly the most powerful single consumable in the game.

• Cool 3

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,770 battles

You do you man. I suggest you give radar another chance because it is the stronger consumable. Ultimately, it's your ship, to fit it how you want to though. 

• Cool 5

[ADPT2]
Members
98 posts
12,016 battles

I disagree with you when you say DM is not a destroyer hunter. DM is great for that. about the limited time of the radar, you have to learn when it is the right time to use it, it will surely be beneficial for you and your team.

Members
842 posts
3,792 battles
4 minutes ago, Neph said:

The plane's orbit and the distance a DD can be spotted without doing something foolish is smaller than what Radar covers. Also, Planes can't spot targets in smoke, and the orbit means the DD even if caught is off-scope in about 15 seconds instead of 40. Worse yet, the plane could be shot down or orbiting the wrong side of your ship. 

Really, there's a reason why Radar is the go-to. If you want to use the plane, use a different ship instead of throwing away possibly the most powerful single consumable in the game.

There's a skill that allows up to 2 planes to be launched and they travel slower, allowing you to keep targets tracked which can prevent the problem of having the plane orbit the wrong side of the ship.

Your point is correct: planes cannot detect ships in smoke. But would it be willing for a DD to deploy smoke for just one plane if it wasn't in cover? It would be a waste of smoke. Or if it doesn't need the element of surprise, I guess it could shrug it off.

Another point that I think was made by Yuro was that using radar often forces you to get too close to the enemy, which can draw you out of position. DM being a fragile cruiser, won't survive well this close.

Edited by TitanicMan2

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

Yea... radar is absolutely what you should be running (and the module that extends its duration) It is INCREDIBLY powerful, it can win games. The spotter is... basically garbage.

Before I got bored and stopped reading, I saw you say something very wrong.. DM is not a DMP ship, playing any ship as a damage farmer means your doing it wrong, knocking out enemy DDs is vastly more important to winning the game then you damage farming som BB at the back of the map.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[WOLF9]
Members
138 posts
5,153 battles

Spotter can be viable.  The question comes down to are you good enough to make it viable?  Its like the center rush on 2 brothers, it can be viable if you are good enough to understand what the implications are.

With that said, radar is so useful that its hard even for the extremely competent players to run spotter regularly, but do what you want. You can always ignore/block and do your own thing.

Abbye

Members
266 posts
2,743 battles
Just now, TitanicMan2 said:

There's a skill that allows up to 2 planes to be launched and they travel slower, allowing you to keep targets tracked which can prevent the problem of having the plane orbit the wrong side of the ship.

Your point is correct: planes cannot detect ships in smoke. But would it be willing for a DD to deploy smoke for just one plane if it wasn't in cover? It would be a waste of smoke. Or if it doesn't need the element of surprise, I guess it could shrug it off.

Again, other ships can do this. You have Radar, which does it but BETTER even with that skill point. Longer range, no dead zones. 

The range increase hardly matters. Equipping slot 6 range boost is more than enough given the time to travel. Likewise, the planes can and will get shot down if you're using if ro this purpose. 

If a DD deploys smoke and escapes, yes that's worth a smoke. But if you catch him with radar, he has no countermeasures whatsoever except to run and hope he doesn't take huge damage.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

I've played my DM only a few times, but it seems radar and spotter are for 2 different playstyles:

Radar-DM does his best to detect DDs for the team, ofc he depends on team being competent since not all T10 players are familiar with WOWS.

Spotter plane is ideal if you enjoy long-range HE/AP bombardment. DM's SHS is actually capable of getting the 33% pens on broadside BBs--been a victim of it before. Takes practice, but spotter plane allows for hitting distracted BBs at range, and DM's RoF is ideal for it.

So play with what you prefer. That sorry elitist was just trying to make you play WOWS his way.

• Cool 3

[PQUOD]
Members
2,163 posts
9,827 battles
15 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

660132060_statshamer3-Copy.thumb.png.8482337308d0b273f4f090620660ceed.png

Might want to do some more editing, can see his name in the IM box. Sorry you had a bad encounter like that.

Members
842 posts
3,792 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Might want to do some more editing, can see his name in the IM box. Sorry you had a bad encounter like that.

Oh, right. I'll fix it

[PVE]
Members
8,719 posts
15,549 battles

It always amazes me, even after all this time, how people can lose their mind over a stupid game and act like such asshats. Wow.

OP - it's your ship. Outfit it as you see best and play it your way.

• Cool 7

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
Just now, Reymu said:

So play with what you prefer. That sorry elitist was just trying to make you play WOWS his way.

Yeah, to the min-max "Muh stats!!!" players there's only one way to play, and anyone who doesn't do what they say should uninstall, they think.

They can do that all they want in Clan Battles, or Ranked.

In Random Battles, it's exactly that.  Random.  People like to experiment.

• Cool 1

Members
376 posts
5 battles
16 minutes ago, Neph said:

It's a game dude, not real life or death. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,342 posts
18,644 battles
16 minutes ago, Neph said:

I would not PM someone that had a Spotter Plane DM after the match.  But me and my buddies laugh at those guys.  I came across one a good while back and it still makes me laugh.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,342 posts
18,644 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

That video is a Troll Video to get guys to do a dumb build and remove one of the greatest strengths of Des Moines.  Eurobeat has done tons of good videos in the past, but that is a straight up, Troll Video to get people to do dumba** stuff, and using his name in the community to do it..

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
266 posts
2,743 battles

Of course it's a game. If someone asks how to play 'good', you answer how to play good. I mean, if it made me laugh to run around and throw every match but get in sick ramming every game with my Missouri, more power to me right? Doesn't mean that's a good way to play if you wanted to 'play good'.

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
533 posts
22,648 battles

I gotta be Honest, I never even realized that a Des Moines had a spotter plane. LOL

• Cool 1

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles

"I picked an objectively worse consumable for a ship who's primary utility is radar, which resulted in my teammates dying, and I got flamed for it!"

Like I don't know what you were expecting. Des Moines is good because of it's radar, if you want to lob shells at long range in a cruiser pick a different ship, because the DM has garbage shell velocity and is very poorly suited for it. And there is no such thing as too much radar. In the end you can pick whatever you want, but don't be surprised when people are pissed because you picked mounted an objectively worse consumable.

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
Members
20,342 posts
18,644 battles

What's a Destroyer going to be more worried about?  A Des Moines with 9.9km Radar range and 40 second base active time?  Or some DM with catapult fighter / spotter plane flying around it?

DDs one way or another, through their success or failure, greatly determine which team wins or loses.  Anything that affects the DD game, anything that torments enemy DDs and makes the life of your own DDs easier is a big deal.  DM with Radar is one of such combination of tools to do that.  A DM with no Radar is just... Nothing.

• Cool 1