You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ThRiLl_GmYr

When does WG typically start their Xmas sales?

33 comments in this topic

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
19 minutes ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

Want to buy my first premium but want to get a good price.  When does the sale usually start?  Thanks.

I urge you to spend $12 bucks on the 5 middle sized crates

You have a really good chance of getting 2 premiums, The Xmas crates are insanely good... you may have to drop another 12 bucks but you will get ships

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[RAN]
Members
44 posts
19,775 battles

The last couple of years there has been a tech tree doubloon premium sale around New Year. Was 50% off low tiers (some of which are terrific, like Ischizuki and Campbeltown) an 30% off mid tiers.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,835 posts
13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

You have a really good chance of getting 2 premiums, The Xmas crates are insanely good... you may have to drop another 12 bucks but you will get ships

Opinions vary...

I bought 30 big crates, since I had some extra cash. One Kreepy Creme.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Glad to hear they are insanely good for you, but some people's claims of really poor drops are clearly not just an anomaly....

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,167 posts
11,750 battles
30 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The odds don't seem to be as good this year.  Only buy crates if you are okay with a lot of good camo and some great signal flags (and the New Year Streamer is a good camo!).  If you get a ship...bonus.  Many people are throwing tantrums because they bought crates expecting to get ships.  That isn't a guarantee, and is a fool's folly.  I bought 10 of the Big Santa crates...no ships.

So, no, don't recommend he buy Santa crates to get a ship if what he really wants is a ship.  He will be MUCH better off picking a ship, spending money on it, and being guaranteed to get it.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 3

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Opinions vary...

I bought 30 big crates, since I had some extra cash. One Kreepy Creme.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Glad to hear they are insanely good for you, but some people's claims of really poor drops are clearly not just an anomaly....

I am literally calling 911 for a Defib and a beer... you bought crates?

• Funny 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

The odds don't seem to be as good this year.  Only buy crates if you are okay with a lot of good camo and some great signal flags.  If you get a ship...bonus.  Many people are throwing tantrums because they bought crates expecting to get ships.  That isn't a guarantee, and is a fool's folly.

So, no, don't recommend he buy Santa crates to get a ship if what he really wants is a ship.  He will be MUCH better off picking a ship, spending money on it, and being guaranteed to get it.

so.... maybe there is something to drop rates vs how much you spend, throughout the year... I spent enough to send a family  to Breckinridge on a holiday weekend and bathe in champaign… but I get ships when I buy crates.

61-39, el terrible, gascogne, Nueve and boise, roma, Krispy, Aigle, and ashitaka (would like a refund on the ashitaka) prob missing one or two, and have all the rest cept Haida and Abruzzi but got enough gold to buy the Abruzzi. im out close to $160 ish this xmas

and prob will never play any of these ships more than ten times.... but for a new player to get a chance at an Atago, a Tirpitz, Kutuzov Belfast Missouri.... for 12 bucks... your insane to not try. 

[O_O]
Members
5,167 posts
11,750 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

so.... maybe there is something to drop rates vs how much you spend, throughout the year... I spent enough to send a family  to Breckinridge on a holiday weekend and bathe in champaign… but I get ships when I buy crates.

61-39, el terrible, gascogne, Nueve and boise, roma, Krispy, Aigle, and ashitaka (would like a refund on the ashitaka) prob missing one or two, and have all the rest cept Haida and Abruzzi but got enough gold to buy the Abruzzi. im out close to $160 ish this xmas

and prob will never play any of these ships more than ten times.... but for a new player to get a chance at an Atago, a Tirpitz, Kutuzov Belfast Missouri.... for 12 bucks... your insane to not try. 

If you spend enough money, sure, your chances of getting a ship a pretty good.  I just spent another $12.75 for 5 more Big Crates (15 total, now, and almost $40).  No ships.

"...your (sic) insane not to try"?  That would entirely depend on if you have money to burn.  If the OP can only spend $20-40 and really wants a ship, he would be MUCH better served to spend that money on a ship.  If a ship is what he really wants and he burns his play budget on Santa crates and gets NO SHIP, which is quite likely, he will feel like he threw that money away.  Perhaps he will get lucky and score a ship, or two, or more...but maybe he won't.  Only the OP knows how badly he wants a premium ship, how much money he can afford to spend, and if he is willing to gamble on the Santa crates.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,144 posts
2,774 battles

buy them in bulk and you will have a better chance (atleast from my experience). Bought x80 mega crates and got 11 ships. Just have to be willing to part with the money for the chance of getting some good ships. 

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
42 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

The odds don't seem to be as good this year.  Only buy crates if you are okay with a lot of good camo and some great signal flags (and the New Year Streamer is a good camo!).  If you get a ship...bonus.  Many people are throwing tantrums because they bought crates expecting to get ships.  That isn't a guarantee, and is a fool's folly.  I bought 10 of the Big Santa crates...no ships.

I sometimes think I am the only person buying mega crates for the flags..........If you get a ship great.........but 30  x various dragon flags. My heart skips a beat. And yeah the camo is excellent but I cant stack that :(

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
18 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

If you spend enough money, sure, your chances of getting a ship a pretty good.  I just spent another $12.75 for 5 more Big Crates (15 total, now, and almost $40).  No ships.

"...your (sic) insane not to try"?  That would entirely depend on if you have money to burn.  If the OP can only spend $20-40 and really wants a ship, he would be MUCH better served to spend that money on a ship.  If a ship is what he really wants and he burns his play budget on Santa crates and gets NO SHIP, which is quite likely, he will feel like he threw that money away.  Perhaps he will get lucky and score a ship, or two, or more...but maybe he won't.  Only the OP knows how badly he wants a premium ship, how much money he can afford to spend, and if he is willing to gamble on the Santa crates.

no arguments.. but if you are willing to buy a 30-40 dalla ship.... buy the crates. and in the end... the camo and flags are more beneficial than any one ship, no matter the drop. At some point you get tired of playing the same ship, or most do anyway.

But for 12bucks...… its worth the risk. In the end, tech tree ships are more satisfying 

[LOU1]
Members
3,653 posts
9,853 battles

He may have a better chance because he doesn't have any Premium ships.  At the very least, he will get a stock of signals, camos, maybe some Doubloons (to use on buying a ship on sale), or some coal (to use buying a ship or something else in the Arsenal).   With the amount of consumables he probably has at 127 battles, it will be difficult for him to not get a good deal even if no ship drops on 10 big crates?

A lot depends on his budget, too.  If it is buy crates or buy a ship, buying the ship would probably be the better choice.  Mainly because it guarantees receiving the ship.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[BUOY]
Members
347 posts
9,670 battles
1 hour ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

Want to buy my first premium but want to get a good price.  When does the sale usually start?  Thanks.

Looking at the premium shop, the tier 2 Smith and Tachibana Lima are on sale for 99 cents each, and they are worth checking out at that price, as is the T4 Yubari for $4.99. The Texas for $9.99 is a good deal and a good ship, but T5 and 6 run into the problem of matchmaking going from +1/-1 to +2/-1. I would avoid the Marblehead since it is an old premium that wasn't well liked even back then and has been power crept since then as well as the Huanghe since although it can perform well and some people really like it, it is very beginner unfriendly in needing a 10 point captain for the IFHE skill and preferably a 14 point captain for IFHE + Concealment Expert.

The 'zero rng' sale on premium ships generally will probably start on the 19th when .7.12 drops. You can also try your luck with Santa Boxes now, but since you're looking for your first premium you'll probably be pulling either not so desirable premiums like the Krasny Krym (a T4 ship given hydro and bumped up to T5... when in fundamentals it is still a T4) or even if you are 'lucky' and pull one of the T7's, T8's or even T9's (all of which are honestly pretty well balanced for those tiers aside from the thankfully not for sale CV's) that will probably be well beyond your current level of skill in PvP... The Tirpitz has the moniker Derpitz since it is one of the oldest premiums in the game and lots of people back then went from T1-2 to T8 back then and got stomped by those who had ground their way to that tier... heck I went from the Arizona (my first premium) to the Tirpitz since I thought the T6 - T8 jump was fine... and my stats with the Tirpitz are still substantially below that of the Bismarck for that thinking.

OTOH if you do go for boxes AND if you do pull a higher tier premium, it's a good 'investment' for the future when you do have the experience... as well as probably being fun while still making (or at least not losing as many) credits in co-op games.

As for the T5-9 premium I would get, it would be the T7 Scharnhorst (again though with the caveat that if you're going to be playing PvP, you should probably get experience by leveling up through the tech tree rather than diving in head first with a premium ship).

Members
718 posts
45 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

buy them in bulk and you will have a better chance (atleast from my experience). Bought x80 mega crates and got 11 ships. Just have to be willing to part with the money for the chance of getting some good ships. 

I wish I could afford 80 mega crates lol not everyone can do that.  Its all luck of the draw odds of a ship is 1/10 roughly and odds of it being kransy krym are damn high if you dont have it already.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,163 posts
4,777 battles
2 hours ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

Are you playing on Steam by any chance? May be able to help.

[CYPHR]
Beta Testers
26 posts
7,051 battles

IMHO this is the first year the WOWS crates have been terrible for ships. If you want a premium ship, buying crates is stupidity. If you want the chance (just like winning the lotto) at a ship and don't mind getting flags and camos 90% of the time, then by all means go for it.

I've bought 40 mega crates, 20 big crates, and gone back and bought 5 more megas and 10 more bigs.

I got Kryspy, T-61, Monaghan and Sims for my ~$250 outlay plus 7,000 doubloons.

You can buy 5 T8 prems for what I blew on crates (and got 2 T5s, a T6 and a T7). So if it's ships you want, just buy them when the sale hits.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,362 posts
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

HYPE

BA6D69C3-3E52-4CCC-B436-70DEC48992B1.jpeg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,362 posts
12 minutes ago, CaesarO said:

IMHO this is the first year the WOWS crates have been terrible for ships. If you want a premium ship, buying crates is stupidity. If you want the chance (just like winning the lotto) at a ship and don't mind getting flags and camos 90% of the time, then by all means go for it.

I've bought 40 mega crates, 20 big crates, and gone back and bought 5 more megas and 10 more bigs.

I got Kryspy, T-61, Monaghan and Sims for my ~$250 outlay plus 7,000 doubloons.

You can buy 5 T8 prems for what I blew on crates (and got 2 T5s, a T6 and a T7). So if it's ships you want, just buy them when the sale hits.

This. A thousand times (or $110 of [edited] camo and flags so far) this.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 2

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
1 minute ago, thebigblue said:

HYPE

BA6D69C3-3E52-4CCC-B436-70DEC48992B1.jpeg

Dunno what to say, every xmas I get a ton of ships. I'm chat banned more than any plyer in the game so it isn't karma. I am not lucky, every time I get a black jack in Vegas, I push. maybe there is mojo in yearly spend concerning these crates. I am about to log on to my alter account and buy 20 mid crates and see the results.... curios yes, stupid more so, interested to see full virgin results  

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,662 posts
20,661 battles

I wouldn't buy crates if you are looking for a ship or especially, a particular ship. Bilious is right, they put some nice premium ships on the tech tree available for doubloons and at a substantial discount (30-50% off). Last year I totally avoided crates and used discounted doubloons to buy discounted ships so I saved a bundle of real money and got all sorts of stuff I wanted or had an interest in. Granted it wasn't as exciting as getting a ship in a crate, but I didn't feel I wasted one penny of my money either. Also watch for discounted port slots. They have offered them for half price in doubloons and in the store for cash over the holidays. Slots at half price are a good deal IMHO. My best advice is just to be patient and buy discounted doubloons when you have the opportunity. The packages of doubloons and premium time are usually a decent deal and a way to accumulate doubloons over time as well as reduce the grind. I like the "Weekend" package that give you a couple of days of premium time (I can play on my days off) and 500 doubloons for $4. The larger packages offer a much better savings though. 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Don't ever buy Santa Crates if you're going to be pissed off if you don't get a ship.

You're just setting yourself up for failure.  Also, if you think anything that isn't a ship or doubloons is trash, don't buy crates.  Ever.

[WOLF7]
Members
40 posts
1,149 battles

My plan is to buy a Scharnhorst.  It seems to be recommended by quite a few people and I like that it is kind of a mix between a battleship and a cruiser.  I also hear that tier 7 is one of the most favorable tiers for MM.  It is one tier higher than I am on the tech tree, but that shouldn't be too bad.

I just prefer to buy it on sale.  So they typically go on sale around New year's?

• Cool 2

[RAN]
Members
44 posts
19,775 battles
2 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

Looking at the premium shop, the tier 2 Smith and Tachibana Lima are on sale for 99 cents each, and they are worth checking out at that price, as is the T4 Yubari for $4.99. The Texas for $9.99 is a good deal and a good ship

As for the T5-9 premium I would get, it would be the T7 Scharnhorst (again though with the caveat that if you're going to be playing PvP, you should probably get experience by leveling up through the tech tree rather than diving in head first with a premium ship).

This. I had forgotten about the small change deals.

Members
180 posts
2,725 battles
1 hour ago, Bilious said:

This. I had forgotten about the small change deals.

Plus, you'll get a snowflake bonus next patch even on the T2 dollar store premium DDs.