NaviNavi2742

Unsporting Conduct - A particular player peels into torpedo spread over and over.

48 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
353 battles

4 ships in a line hitting a BB, Lyon. I am the last in a line and slow down to make sure I have a clear spread for torpedoes to launch. two of the four ships launch torpedo spreads at the BB. The BB drops from half health to none, there are two torpedo spreads in the water. The player in question peels into my spread immediately without looking. I have my game settings warnings going off from torpedo being dropped from the ship two spots ahead, and I am sure that this setting is on by default for all players. The player in question that immediately peeled into the spread did not heed my f9 warnings, nor bothered to look around. The player went straight into the spread without even trying to avoid it. That player got sunk and then starts raving at me that I do this all the time. This is the second time I have played with this person. The first time, the player actually did a 180 degree turn into someone else torpedo spread, not mine. This player immediately starts mouthing off at other players for no reason, but calms down when we win the match.

I'm still stuck with a penalty.

I see this all the time with people not checking mini-map, and not panning the view to get a gist of what is going on around them. Last week I was shot in the back twice by two different BB's using spotting and not checking line of sight.

I normally play on Asia servers with friends, however I live in NA and am trying to get more friends into the game on the NA servers. This lack of map awareness is not an issue on Asia. It's like a quarter on people on NA servers have no idea of no idea of what map awareness is, and this is the cause for players that over extend and sink. Often this leads to players raging. 

There should be a mandatory training match for NA players that specifically teaches the basic concepts of awareness in general. Hopefully resulting in less grief for everyone. Thanks. 

Edited by NaviNavi2742
Took out grieving section.
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[O_O]
Members
5,190 posts
11,795 battles

Turbotush is right.

It isn't your team mates' job to watch where you launch your torpedoes.  It is YOUR job to watch where you launch your torpedoes.

Your team mate may have to turn around to dodge incoming red torpedoes (you know, the ones he is supposed to be looking for), to prevent showing broadside, or any number of reasons.  If he can no longer turn around because your torpedoes are coming in behind him, you may have killed him without even hitting him.  Don't do that.  If a team mate could possibly steer into your torpedoes and you launch them anyway, it is YOUR fault.

This seems to be a tough lesson for new players to come to grips with.

• Cool 5

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
6 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

You, and no one else, are responsible for your torps.

This, that player may not have known about your torps or had other things on their mind like dodging gunfire and over corrected or maybe they just did it on purpose but whatever the reason they got into your torps it is your responsibility to ensure that friendlies down range will not be affected by your ordnance no matter what they do.

• Cool 2

Members
5 posts
353 battles
7 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Thank you for your post. I am glad to get input from a senior member of the community. But, I am not dropping these all over the place without looking. I learned right away what the result are if just dropping. I was considerate of the situation. The player I am talking about in question, even after being warned ran into the spread. 

If this is the policy of NA player in general. Then I will kindly move back to Asia. Thanks.

• Funny 1

Members
5 posts
353 battles
4 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

He deserves it....good shootin!

If you see him again torp him at the start. Show him who is boss. 

We need more Captains like you. No tolerance for Chat screamers!

That attitude is literally spreading cancer. The best this to do is just blacklist, which I have done. I am trying to level my captains to get into rank. Hopefully I will not have to see this player again.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,113 posts
16,156 battles

All I can do is laugh at this! If you feel that he intentionally intercepted your torpedoes to grief you then report him in a support ticket with the match replay. Now I will go finish working off my penalty for sinking our bot DD that intercepted my torps used to sink a reds bot DD! Boo Hoo for me!

Members
5 posts
353 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Turbotush is right.

It isn't your team mates' job to watch where you launch your torpedoes.  It is YOUR job to watch where you launch your torpedoes.

Your team mate may have to turn around to dodge incoming red torpedoes (you know, the ones he is supposed to be looking for), to prevent showing broadside, or any number of reasons.  If he can no longer turn around because your torpedoes are coming in behind him, you may have killed him without even hitting him.  Don't do that.  If a team mate could possibly steer into your torpedoes and you launch them anyway, it is YOUR fault.

This seems to be a tough lesson for new players to come to grips with.

There where no enemy spreads. The lyon was the last ship in the area, the return fire was all dropping on our bb, and not the player in question. I launched my spread and there was a good period of time before the person decided to do a turn and travel on an intersect. Again, I was not the only person that dropped torpedoes.    

Members
2,944 posts
3,742 battles
16 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

This, because apparently it bears repeating.

If you fire a torp and it's hits a friendly it's your fault, period.

• Cool 2

Members
5 posts
353 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

All I can do is laugh at this! If you feel that he intentionally intercepted your torpedoes to grief you then report him in a support ticket with the match replay. Now I will go finish working off my penalty for sinking our bot DD that intercepted my torps used to sink a reds bot DD! Boo Hoo for me!

Ya. I do feel sad, but I keep reminding my self this is only the first time I have done this to someone, and now I know that I need to take even more precaution.  But this is happening in EVERY match. Every match there is friendly fire warnings going off either someone dropping torpedo, and agreed there are people who do not pay attention to where they are dropping, or some hitting someone from a barrage from batteries. 

Now, the consensus it pretty straight forward from the feed back that has been given. It's my fault, period. I know I can't argue it. But still, anecdotally, what is up with all the friendly fire and penalties?  

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
4,227 posts
15,313 battles
26 minutes ago, NaviNavi2742 said:

But, I am not dropping these all over the place without looking. I learned right away what the result are if just dropping. I was considerate of the situation. The player I am talking about in question, even after being warned ran into the spread. 

If this is the policy of NA player in general. Then I will kindly move back to Asia. Thanks. 

From what I understood, friendly was in front You had the mini map awareness to know a friendly was in torp range,  yet it was your choice to send torps with a friendly in front of you knowing full well there was a "chance/gamble" he might get hit. 

If I am understanding this than, its your fault. There is no friendly torps once you fire them. IF a marine fires a grenade at an enemy at close proximity of friendly marines one thing for certain, its NJP =NON Judicial Punishment if he causes any injuries to his fellow marines. Military tribunal  if he kills someone.

In game you get 3 games pink. Do your penance and move on. One thing for sure, a game with out consequences breeds out bad behaviors of "Nothing will happen to me if I become a jerk and fire at friendlies."

In that regard WOWS did great deed in giving warning  out on that  toxic behavior. 

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 3

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
903 posts
13,874 battles

It has been, for as long as I have been playing the game, generally accepted that we are each of us responsible for our friendly fire. And that we take a calculated risk, often seemingly for the best of reasons, when we use torpedoes to finish off an enemy despite there being a friendly that may turn into (for whatever reason) our torpedoes. In answer to your comment about whether is is NA policy, I do not believe there is a policy. Only a fairly widespread understanding among longstanding veterans of the game. This sort of accepted practice, or shared perspective about an action in game, is perhaps going to differ from region to region. While I cannot see this being reason enough to leave the NA server, if you will have a hard time accepting that others will consider you responsible should this happen again, it may be best for you in the name of your continued enjoyment of the game.

Many of us, myself included, have made that calculation, sometimes in a "this is the only way to win the match" moment and had it turn sideways when a friendly inadvertently turned into our spread. We can warn them, we can use the F3 key, we can type out "My torps on your port side!" or any other attempt at making them aware. But the generally accepted way of viewing this here is that they should be able to focus on the enemy ships to the exclusion of all else, even communication from friendlies, and that each captain must be free to block out everything but the enemy from their mind without also having to watch for friendly torpedoes. This has been a social construct on the NA server that I believe helps to grease the wheels of our little gaming society. When it happens to me (not often, but it does happen) I apologize and move on. Few players will feel the need for vendetta over it.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,830 posts
5,953 battles
11 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

that was some good torp shooting in that battle (what, 4 kills?)... I nearly laughed myself off my chair re: your comment in battle chat after the penalty. :o)

btw it was the bot's fault, and he did it with malice toward you.

• Cool 1

[HARU]
Members
77 posts
1,628 battles

There is so much going on to the front when I play that torp warnings from behind and chat become invisible to me. Please NEVER expect chat to solve your torp dilema. It is just a minor penalty play your two games and enjoy.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,099 posts
30,889 battles
9 minutes ago, NaviNavi2742 said:

Thank you for your post. I am glad to get input from a senior member of the community. But, I am not dropping these all over the place without looking. I learned right away what the result are if just dropping. I was considerate of the situation. The player I am talking about in question, even after being warned ran into the spread. 

OK, you only have 350 battles, so yes you have a ways to go.  I can tell you that I was in your shoes once and it took a while to understand the mindset of the other players that were with me in my first random battles.  You have to take it to heart that others will not look at the chat and will not notice that you ping the map for them.  When you are just starting this game, trying to keep track of all the visual input is a little tricky, you get better at it, but it takes a while.  That being said, when you have played a few more games and are playing in higher tiers, you will notice that you can shot torps closer to team mates more often, but it still is a risk.  You are responsible for your torps, no if's and's or [edited] about it.  If you do hit another player then just say "Sorry man!" and try not to do it again.  Most players that I have hit (yes even I have derped that way) are cool about it and you move on.

Now if you join a clan, and do clan battles things change and you will be shooting your torps in between team mates because you all play together and communicate, but in randoms it is different.

Good luck, you'll get it, or you will GTFO.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,099 posts
30,889 battles
7 minutes ago, NaviNavi2742 said:

Ya. I do feel sad, but I keep reminding my self this is only the first time I have done this to someone, and now I know that I need to take even more precaution.  But this is happening in EVERY match. Every match there is friendly fire warnings going off either someone dropping torpedo, and agreed there are people who do not pay attention to where they are dropping, or some hitting someone from a barrage from batteries. 

Now, the consensus it pretty straight forward from the feed back that has been given. It's my fault, period. I know I can't argue it. But still, anecdotally, what is up with all the friendly fire and penalties?  

New guys...…..

Members
2,944 posts
3,742 battles
3 minutes ago, NaviNavi2742 said:

People not paying attention, mostly. Other times it's folks in your position; thought they had a clear shot, turns out they didn't. 

When you fire torps at enemies, you don't just rely on the aim indicator, because they might turn, or slow down, or whatever. Right? Because you can never know for sure what they're going to do. Same for friendlies. If there is any friendly at all in your torp arc and in range of your torps, you can never be sure that they wont end up on the receiving end, so as annoying as it might be, you need to find another spot to shoot from or wait until you have a clear shot. 

I've seen DDs heading away from a friendly torp spread do a complete 180 degree turn and end up getting hit. I don't know why they turned, but it must have made sense to them to do so, so I'm not going to second guess them. I'm sailing my own ship, not theirs.

Members
981 posts

In all honesty the OP seems to have a rage issue. Torping teammates is a bit extreme as a first recourse. 

Proper NA Etiquette 

1. Click lots of squares 

2. Make coy remark in chat

3 Shoot at the water near him

4 ram the bastard

5 ....only after many explicit comments about his parentage...torp him.  

6. Apologize profusely to the now sunk teammate.

7. Come on Forum and blame your victim. 

• Cool 2

[AAA]
Members
675 posts
8,068 battles

As a DD main I agree that my torps are my responsibility. I also get in front of my fleet and launch north to avoid friendlies. 

However there are situations beyond my control. I have launched from Zao after the dd cleared the area but dd doubles back and caught two. I hailed him several times but he didn’t respond. My fault. If I’m firing with friends in front I have to accept blame. I apologized in game and out of game. The captain in question accepted and acknowledged it happens. 

I have struck a couple of teammates at plus 10 km on gearing torps. That’s a minute after launch. Those torps were thrown more east/west but what to do. Yeah that’s an accident. Missed the bbs I was aiming at then caught a friendly due to their long run. Do angle those more north today. 

The situation that angers me and happens a lot. I’m in front of the fleet. Oriented east/west and launching and a friendly zips from behind me cutting across my dd. I watch map and my surroundings but don’t cut in front of a dd at close distances. Not much I can do. 

Members
2,177 posts
5,998 battles
1 hour ago, NaviNavi2742 said:

4 ships in a line hitting a BB, Lyon. I am the last in a line and slow down to make sure I have a clear spread for torpedoes to launch. two of the four ships launch torpedo spreads at the BB. The BB drops from half health to none, there are two torpedo spreads in the water. The player in question peels into my spread immediately without looking. I have my game settings warnings going off from torpedo being dropped from the ship two spots ahead, and I am sure that this setting is on by default for all players. The player in question that immediately peeled into the spread did not heed my f9 warnings, nor bothered to look around. The player went straight into the spread without even trying to avoid it. That player got sunk and then starts raving at me that I do this all the time. This is the second time I have played with this person. The first time, the player actually did a 180 degree turn into someone else torpedo spread, not mine. This player immediately starts mouthing off at other players for no reason, but calms down when we win the match.

I'm still stuck with a penalty.

I see this all the time with people not checking mini-map, and not panning the view to get a gist of what is going on around them. Last week I was shot in the back twice by two different BB's using spotting and not checking line of sight.

I normally play on Asia servers with friends, however I live in NA and am trying to get more friends into the game on the NA servers. This lack of map awareness is not an issue on Asia. It's like a quarter on people on NA servers have no idea of no idea of what map awareness is, and this is the cause for players that over extend and sink. Often this leads to players raging. 

There should be a mandatory training match for NA players that specifically teaches the basic concepts of awareness in general. Hopefully resulting in less grief for everyone. Thanks. 

Here's the thing. 

The players in front of you should have not expect that allies behind them will be launching torpedoes they can run into, nor do they have any time to spare seeing if some idiot behind them is launching such torpedoes.  They are properly and appropriately directing their attention towards the red ships in front of them in the expectation that players like you know better and will not send torpedoes flying where they can run into them.  It is not their job to be looking over their shoulder for the torpedo armed morons to their rear, it is those torpedo armed players who are responsible for not launching torpedoes where their allies could potentially run into them.  

Period.   

Of course the worst of these players come here to whine about how that friendly ship they just sank ruined their perfect torpedo set ups and how unfair it is to drive around in a pink ship because a friendly ship blundered into their torps.  

Accidents will happen, you will sometimes mistakenly launch torpedoes in a place where you think they are safe and find out that they are not.  But in each of those cases, it's not the fault of the ship you torped, it's yours, so stop blaming others for your own mistakes, work your ship off till you are no longer pink and try to learn from your mistakes rather than perpetuate them as you are now doing. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

DON'T FIRE ON YOUR ALLIES!

Then especially don't come to the forums and minge about how its not your fault (when it totally is).

• Cool 2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,113 posts
16,156 battles

@NaviNavi2742 @Spud_butt Yea I feel real bad when such things happen that is why I play my torp ships primarily in co op! Perhaps the battle Spud mentioned was mine but likely not! It was early this morning in my Midway and my 1st kill was the friendly bot DD! I did get my target DD a BB, CA and the CV for the win but it was close since others on the team played stupid! 

Members
2,944 posts
3,742 battles
15 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

DON'T FIRE ON YOUR ALLIES!

Then especially don't come to the forums and minge about how its not your fault (when it totally is).

I think you mean "whinge". Minge is... something else.

• Funny 1