Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BladedPheonix

Cruiser tone coming after CV update?

16 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

Howdy sailors!

So although I'm not partaking in the testing for CV reworks (no room for it on the PC, please don't judge) I have been following a few players on youtube for information and observation. during 1 match i noticed that a Yamato had what looked like a squad of at least 3-4  float plane fighters protecting it from a CV's torpedo strike.

This got me thinking. If this current change to float fighters stays as is, will this change finally be enough for WG to add the very wanted Tone and Chikuma?:cap_hmm: Maybe even the IJN BBs Ise and Hyuga as well?

Video for players who don't know what the ship is about.

what are you thoughts on the matter? please comment below!

Until next time, 

I'll C'ya on the Seas!:cap_look:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,807 posts
9,795 battles

How long was she in the Client for? I can see them looking at CAV and BBV after the rework gose live. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles
23 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

How long was she in the Client for? I can see them looking at CAV and BBV after the rework gose live. 

if memory serves, she was tested in very early alpha? and was used to test and perfect scout and fighter float planes? :cap_hmm:

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,691 posts
15,645 battles

Nice, informative video clanmate. Do you expect WG to put fighters on the Tone? Or, for some reason, give it the ability to put numerous spotter aircraft up at one time with greater vision? What tier would it be a best fit for?

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles

YIKES Mini Izumo... My the WOWS gods have mercy on us all for having two black sheep of the IJN ship line (all 4 gun batteries up front).

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

Maybe even the IJN BBs Ise and Hyuga as well?

I could see making the Tone viable with lots of spotters AND fighters at the same time at mid tiers (6-7). Maybe throw in another gimmick too like nearby ships can benefit from its spotters too. A good support cruiser. I can not see any way to make  the hybrid BB's viable.  Assuming the planes are just scout and fighter, losing 1/3 of you guns and all of your ability to fire to the rear (those middle turrets would have horrendous arcs) would not be worth it. You'd have good (for tier) AA but a really gimped BB otherwise, even at T5. Most of the game you are a either 4 gun BB or  a citadel magnet and a huge target for the HE spammers. A DD gets behind you and you can't do anything. Even your secondaries are blocked by the flight deck.

[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles

The Tone was a scout plane cruiser.  It should NOT be treated as a carrier in any way, shape, or form.  It should only carry either Cat Fighters and/or Spotter planes.   Frankly, I don't know why it hasn't be released already.  It shouldn't be that hard to fit it with cat fighters and/or spotter planes, and release it as a tier 7 or 8 premium.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
645 posts
4,814 battles

One idea I posted long time ago was to give Tone enhanced spotter planes that give entire team 100% intel over mini map where they are flying.  Mini map only, not vision to target and fire.  Yes sort of like airborne radar that can’t be used to target, but can be used for blind shots using mini map cursor. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,378 posts
6,453 battles

To my knowledge there is no official mention of tone (or any other aviation hybrid) returning from the devs at this time.

[DLC]
Members
1,193 posts
4,597 battles

I can't see the Tone using the new plane UI/setup whatever you wanna call it.

Therefore I see the main selling point for this VII (VII would be the best fit) is that its planes operate using the old plane mechanics (aka the RTS model). So it'll be a Heavy cruiser with good concealment, good HE, IJN torps with poor AA offset by the ability to use planes for recon or defensive purposes.

That's not how I would implement it but its definitely a gimmick or "selling point" that WG would definitely pitch if they saw no creative to implement the Tone

• Cool 1

[F1RE]
[F1RE]
Beta Testers
689 posts
16,601 battles

I do not remember her being tested in early Alpha but maybe someone else can chime in on that....  I do know that it would be good to see her in game and that is why I have her in my signature line.  IIRC, they wanted to have the CV rework complete prior to going back to the Tone and Ise as their number of fighters put up could be potentially used as a roaming fighter squadron - I am looking forward to seeing how they bring her in - depending upon how she enters, I would imagine either tier 7 or 8.

Members
1,918 posts
9,960 battles

Hey

I think it would work quite easily to make it a spotter ship being able to put up to 4 catapult aircraft in the air at one time or have the ability to launch 2 at once and then something like 30 seconds being able to launch another 2 sets, give them slightly more range, say 6-8km of spotting, and let them stay in the air for 2 min. like the standard catapult aircraft now, maybe have the first set go one direction and the second set go opposite direction (if that's possible).  Give them a 3 minute cool down before being able to launch again.  I think T7 or T8 would be reasonable depending on armor and such.

Pete

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

The best thing they could do with the ship is treat it as the gun cruiser that it was.  If anything, give it a three float fighter squadron to help with AA.

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
On 12/14/2018 at 12:49 PM, Crucis said:

It should only carry either Cat Fighters and/or Spotter planes.

I agree that trying to turn it into some sort of CV with attack planes would be unworkable and pretty useless anyway. No reason one of its gimmicks couldn't be having both fighters and spotters at the same time AND launching 2 at a time of either (3 with the skill). Allow the player to pick his load out. Each consumable could be fighters or spotters chosen in port. Double fighter load out if you expect CVs. Double spotters if you don't. One each if you want to be prepared for anything.

I suppose another gimmick could be you launch a scout plane and can immediately right click once on the minimap at a location within some distance, (say 12-15k) and your plane(s) fly there, turn around and come back to orbit the ship for their remaining duration (assuming they survive the Cleveland you just had them overfly). No midflight corrections or diversions but possibly having a recall capabilty when they first spot that Cleveland. This would give Tone the unique ability to scout for opposing DDs or other ships outside the range of normal spotters. Not as good as radar, which is omidirectional but would be longer range (eventually, planes have to fly there) and spot torps. This would require WG making a whole new capability (as opposed to modifying an existing one like adding aircraft or additional aircraft consumables) which might not appeal to them.

Looking at ship that is probably going to be a T7 at least. Have to give it something to make up for have 2 less guns  than Myoko with no rear-fire capability.

Edited by Sabot_100

[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

No reason one of its gimmicks couldn't be having both fighters and spotters at the same time AND launching 2 at a time of either (3 with the skill). I agree that trying to turn it into some sort of CV with attack planes would be unworkable and pretty useless anyway.

I suppose another gimmick could be you launch a scout plane and can immediately right click once on the minimap at a location within some distance, (say 12-15k) and your plane(s) fly there, turn around and come back to orbit the ship for their remaining duration (assuming they survive the Cleveland you just had them overfly). No midflight corrections or diversions but possibly having a recall capabilty when they first spot that Cleveland. This would give Tone the unique ability to scout for opposing DDs or other ships outside the range of normal spotters. Not as good as radar, which is omidirectional but would spot torps. This would require WG making a whole new capability (as opposed to modifying an existing one like adding aircraft or additional consumables) which might not appeal to them.

Looking at ship that is probably going to be a T7 at least. Have to give it something to make up for have 2 less guns  than Myoko with no rear-fire capability.

To me, this is a reason to give it spotter planes, so that it could have that extra range, fairly often.

As for scout planes, they should be on a timer.  Send them out to a location or on a flight path, and they'd return when the timer was up, assuming that they hadn't been shot down, of course.  But as you say, this would require a new capability.  It should be a lot simpler to just use a combination of cat fighters and spotter planes to make the Tone work a lot more quickly.

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As for scout planes, they should be on a timer.

I called it a scout plane but was really thinking it would be a standard spotter with that long range option. If you don't click the map, it just orbits like normal and you get the range increase. When not orbiting, you don't get the range benefit. But since radar STILL goes through mountains, not expecting WG to develop something that requires a whole new mechanic. (Look how much FUN they are having with the CV rework!

Sign in to follow this