You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

This is why there is no such thing as kill stealing

44 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,637 posts

The enemy team would have been better served had someone "stolen" a kill on me. After losing most of my health to cruisers when I was first radared, I played the remainder of the match with 29 hitpoints.

shot-18_12.14_13_10.33-0639.thumb.jpg.846a483934d9d555717f33ea232a26c1.jpg

• Cool 12

Members
23,165 posts
5,841 battles

Agreed. Some of my best games have occurred when everybody not manning guns or making the ship go are sitting in the lifeboats, waiting for the order to abandon ship....

Played a game yesterday where there were 4 of us focussing a spotted IJN DD. Once he got down to 65HP, he was able to dodge everything thrown at him for a good 30 seconds until he went dark.

He proceeded to stealth torp and sink 2 BBs and a CA, until he misjudged how fast my 48-knt Minsk was closing, and popped up at 7km just before going behind an island. He did NOT dodge my shells at that point lol.

Edited by Skpstr

[CRMSN]
Members
8,255 posts
8,702 battles

I remember a match in De Grasse back in the spring where I got smacked hard as soon as I was spotted. I spent the rest of the match with 743 HP, over 100k damage, and top of the match in scoring.

That was the day I mastered the art of dodging incoming fire.

• Cool 2

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

My reload in my dd is faster than most ships shooting a a target so f i squeeze in the kill shot between bb barrages its because the red ship was turning guns toward me.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,729 posts
7,526 battles

Kill stealing is what happens when I recover from pulling a Notser in time to get a perfect barrage off at the 3/4 strength British cruiser coming around the corner to kill me... and a Nelson shoots over my shoulder an instant before my torpedoes hit and blaps him for everything. Then I am left with empty tubes, no way to defend myself against the next angry thing coming to kill me, and nothing whatsoever to show for having fired them all off. That's the sort of kill-steal that makes me sick.

The only worse one is when the enemy ship that WOULD have taken two of my torpedoes gets exploded just short of the kill and the torps go on to do team damage.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
55 posts
4,367 battles

So when someone spends their 30 seconds to reload salvo on something a tick or two away from dying to flooding/burning/torp damage instead of blAPping the broadside cruiser right next to the target it's a kill secure not a steal, duly noted. /S

Edited by Musouka
  • Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

IMO, KS = Kill Secure

Getting the kill is always nice, but i rather see some one else getting the kill than run the risk of the enemy ship escape or heal or even kill a ally ship. 

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,321 posts
11,303 battles

They really need a new achievement for anyone that survives and wins a battle with less than one or two percent health. I call it ""Timex", "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking"" but because of trade marks they would have to call it something else.

• Funny 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,314 battles

i dont think kill count really matte more than the damge done to that ship.  

happend to me last night.  In my ATL and was raining hell fire on them...we lost that with only killing 3 ships on the enemy team. two of the kills were mine...the 3rd one was stolen from me...but it didn't matter.  ended in 2nd in for the team. the one that stole my kill ended up 2nd to the last on the team.  

funny thing was...there were chatter on the line saying, "our CLs are shet...!" :( yet...that guy didn't do any better...i think he was in a BB and was in last place over all...:Smile_facepalm:

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
742 posts
11,039 battles

It's really funny in Operations when someone starts going off about "kill stealing".  Thing is, it's extremely annoying when folks "leave the kill".  Though it's also quite nice, as OP has posted, since you can make them pay severely for it when you've been left alone.  I know I've done the same, just not on that level of insane.  If you were running AR, well, it was at it's max ability that's for sure! :Smile_izmena::cap_rambo:

A motto I go by: "If it's Red, It's dead."  Hasn't bit me on the tail yet.:Smile_playing:

Members
717 posts
8,084 battles

If I land 5 out 6 torpedos on a Nelson and knock there health down to a sliver, for the love of Pete, %$#* shoot at him before he prints a new ship!

British battleships are like flatworms, cut one in half to kill it and you get two flatworms.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[ARGSY]
Members
11,729 posts
7,526 battles
17 minutes ago, Volron said:

It's really funny in Operations when someone starts going off about "kill stealing".

In Operation Newport, I don't complain much. I still get a bit annoyed when my entire complement of torps is wasted by the target being fragged by someone else just before they get there, but the sooner we can kill those bots before the next lot arrives, the better.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In Operation Newport, I don't complain much. I still get a bit annoyed when my entire complement of torps is wasted by the target being fragged by someone else just before they get there, but the sooner we can kill those bots before the next lot arrives, the better.

Not so much in ops, but in Randoms, I've seen ships die to shells *because* they exposed their broadsides while turning to avoid torpedoes, whether mine or someone else's.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,729 posts
7,526 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

I've seen ships die to shells *because* they exposed their broadsides while turning to avoid torpedoes, whether mine or someone else's.

Yeah, but that's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. The torps are the dominant threat; the enemy gunnery might yet miss. The target in my case was full broadside and the entire double rack was going to smack him. It can't have been more than a dozen pixels away from the hull.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, but that's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. The torps are the dominant threat; the enemy gunnery might yet miss. The target in my case was full broadside and the entire double rack was going to smack him. It can't have been more than a dozen pixels away from the hull.

i've seen it happen both ways, and I've been the victim, and the 'thief', as it were.  I just shrug and move on.  I had a DD kill with 10 hp the other day, but, there was 3 of us shooting at him.  

I can't speak for others, but in none of those situations have I consciously set out to 'steal' a kill.  I just wanted a red ship off the board.  I've also been the one with torpedoes feet from the hull of the target as well.

Edited by mavfin87

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,055 posts
16,036 battles

There is no such thing as kill stealing. Because every kill is mine and I can't steal from myself

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,642 battles

If I'm parked of the goalpost, and my teammate rips a shot that bounces off the goaltender's knee and the ball/puck is dribbling into the net, do I just stand idly by and hope that the goal will be good because I don't want to "steal" my teammate's goal, or do I bang it home? Any high level athlete will answer that, 100% of the time, you bang 'er home and get a point on the board. This is not a debate.

• Cool 1

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles

Anyone who complains about kill stealing is an absolute moron who has no business even playing this game to begin with.

[90TH]
Members
967 posts
8,763 battles
3 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Anyone who complains about kill stealing is an absolute moron who has no business even playing this game to begin with.

Same with the morons who brag about their kill numbers they didn’t earn.

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles
5 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Same with the morons who brag about their kill numbers they didn’t earn.

True, I had a guy bragging about getting a Kracken with 40k in damage. He couldn't understand that he was picking off low health ships.....not quite the same thing as the guy with 198k damage and a Kracken. Personally I would rather have a terrible game and be on a winning team than have my best game ever and be on a losing team. 

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,082 battles

Kill stealing is when a ship is holding back fire to get the killing blow which means the red ship is alive longer than it needs to be and can end up get a green ship/ships killed that would not have been if the kill stealer keep his guns going.

I have seen a des not shooting for 30 seconds then blap perfect kill stealing.

Edited by Final8ty

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts
2 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Kill stealing is when a ship is holding back fire to get the killing blow which means the red ship is alive longer than it needs to be and can end up get a green ship/ships killed that would not have been if the kill stealer keep his guns going.

I have seen a des not shooting for 30 seconds then blap perfect kill stealing

Not stalking....honest lol.

That isn't kill stealing, that's just p-poor play.

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,082 battles
3 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Not stalking....honest lol.

That isn't kill stealing, that's just p-poor play.

Well its both, i have seen it a lot.

Edited by Final8ty