You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Flank Bell Fridays - Most Effective Destroyer

40 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,322 posts
7,541 battles

Image result for destroyer full speed

*pictured - Gearing class destroyer USS Douglas Fox participating in Operation Springboard 63 near Cuba in the Caribbean Sea in January 1963*

Which destroyer in your Fleet do you consider the most effective or powerful when taking her into battle?

Destroyers help provide crucial intelligence and observations for the big guns of your team.

They also can be lethal first strike options with stealthy concealment and torpedoes as well as being armed with rapid fire guns with often blistering effects on anything in her gunsights.

Of all of the destroyers in your Fleet, which one brings home the bacon and completes the mission for Team Green?

"This ship is built to fight. You had better know how." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#flankbellfriday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[MLPVA]
Members
273 posts
3,467 battles

While I can't ascribe the term "successful" to any of my endeavors in destroyers, the Z-23 has been very comfortable to play in.

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles

Shimakaze - I can't count the number of times I've stealthed my way to the enemy base or spotted all their ships from behind enemy lines or sunk a cruiser who thought he was hiding behind an island. Or, most effectively, causing at least three ships of the enemy fleet to chase me all the way to A1 while my fleet kills the rest of their fleet and caps everything. 

Sure, other boats can do those things, but Shima is really good at it. 

For low tier, the Isokaze was the best murder boat until the great IJN nerf. It's still fun for its tier, but not the elemental force of nature that it was two years ago. Isokaze remains the only ship I've ever gotten an earned Solo Warrior in. 

[-BRS-]
Members
2,826 posts
16,366 battles

Well since I've played them all I have to say Japanese work the best in this game but for general purpose the Americans  Can do everything fairly well, and the germans with hydro next

[RNG]
Members
279 posts
3,437 battles

Easily the cossack for me, recently got it from the event and don't have many games but I find it by far to be the most effective DD I have and the most effective in my overall fleet other than my DM.

While nothing about it is super OP, all its abilities synergize so well together and I find I have no problem performing extremely strongly, some of this could be due to it fitting my playstyle unexpectedly well.  I haven't been able to play it as much as I want to though, so hopefully when finals are over I can do some top tier clubbing with it.

Edited by TheBeefKid

[H_]
Members
2,173 posts

Of all the IJN DD's, I find myself most effective in the Fabuki....  Yes, the Kagero is the best of the lot but, I like the way the Fabuki has enough to be effective and not enough to force you to be humble....

As said earlier, the Shimmy is a great ship fully tricked out but, it's as large as a CL....    The Fabuki, on the other hand is "just right..."

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

That's a hard call.

Lo Yang is a excellent cap contester (when not bottom tiered) and is great for scouting.
T-61 is also a great cap contester and scout plus she's a good torpedo ambusher.
Kamikaze is a excellent torpedo boat, scout, and capper but a poor cap contester due to the slow rate of fire of her guns and slow turret rotation.
Vampire is a excellent scout, capper, and cap contester but lightweight as a torpedo boat.

BTW, those are my 4 favorite DDs with honorable mention to Z-39 and Blyskawica.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 1

[DIEBL]
Members
556 posts
6,357 battles

Lightning, T-61, Z-39, Fujin/KamiR. While detroyer play makes me nervous (especially when one of my young’ns might wake up in the middle of a game), I never feel outclassed in these and know there’s a good chance of making some reds feel inadequate.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,108 posts
8,357 battles

For scouting, either speed or concealment. Early game speed is very useful so Khaba or lower tiered Terrible. They excel at scout flank role too (pity Terrible doesn't have the consumable options of Khaba). But I am more often than not, a handicap to my team, when in a dd. I need to git gud.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,936 posts
10,829 battles

Kitakaze. The recent bb AP change has made her a better ship than harugamo

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,971 posts
3,895 battles

The destroyer most effective at terrorizing the USN would have to be USS William D. Porter

Happens to be one of my favorite ships, her story is great.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

kagero is my goto boat for xp an credits. I am a lousy shot so gunboats don,t work well with me.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
894 posts
13,834 battles

Much to my surprise, the recently acquired Cossack has been a perfect fit for my play style. Granted, I don't have many games in the ship. But damn... it just feels perfect.

Cossack   Cossack 8 U.K. 7 85.71% 3 135 63 700 1.57

[CUTER]
Members
810 posts
21,321 battles

Tier 2: Not enough games to evaluate

Tier 3: G101

Tier 4: Clemson

Tier 5: Fujin

Tier 6: Anshan

Tier 7: Gadjah Mada

Tier 8: Asashio

Tier 9: Tashkent

Tier 10: Gearing

Members
686 posts
5,656 battles

The answer is clearly Grozovoi.

None of this stealthing around pretending to be useful with your inferior Japanese torps. None of this trebuchet shells.

Guns. Good guns. A well played grozovoi will burn down a flank, obliterate DDs who try to engage it, tank potential damage, heal actual damage, halt CV strikes, and, like any other good destroyer should, puts the IJN DDs in the trash bin where they belong.

• Funny 4

[HEROS]
Members
1,626 posts
14,099 battles

For myself is HSF Harekaze followed closely by Yugumo.  It's interesting in that Harekaze is THE most fragile DD in the tier yet she can hold her own even in tier X fights.  And those that see me running about in my "No Smoke" build IJN DD's know full well I rarely skulk about the edges.. much prefer to be up front and in the OPFOR's grill.   A lot of fights are low damage in Harekaze but the ship proves very effective at making BB's turn away or play defensively (and where the BB's go, the CA's are not far behind.  And oh yea I do use the guns!    Getting high damage numbers is all well and good, but influencing and controlling the battle space counts for just as much in team based play. 

(and  of course I must thank the person who gifted me with Harekaze so long ago.  I've done my damdest to make sure you got your gifts worth!) 

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I would have to say Kamikaze R is the most effective flanking DD in the game. If you're any good, using her is basically cheating.

In the right hands, at Tier 10 I would have to say Gearing or Shima. The Gearing does everything decently well which allows her to simply poke around long enough for an opening.

Shima is simply next level good in skilled hands. Her ability to deliver devestating strikes with walls of torpedoes into the enemy flanks is unmatched. She can drive enemy fleets off caps and into corners while providining amazing spotting. A good Shima can only be countered by another DD on the hunt for her, preferably with backup.

Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles

My DD of choice will always be the Blyskawica. For a time, a 143k damage game I had in her was the highest damage I'd ever done. I love speedy gunboat DDs, and the Blyska epitomizes that. Afterwards, I'd have to go with the Haida, then the Mahan, and then the Kiev.

• Cool 1