WOWS moves on, so do CPUs

11 comments in this topic

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,216 battles

Season's Greetings:

After a number of co-op matches at various tiers, I have come to the conclusion the Macintosh computers built in 2014 using Yosemite OS becomes very unstable when playing a match at Tier 5 or higher.  The program is often prone to crashes at any time during, before, or after a match.  I do not observe this phenomena at Tiers 1-5 playing co-op.  I also noted that the CPU does not get hot enough to warm the aluminum casing at the lower tiers.  It get warm enough to maintain coffee temperature at high tier gaming.

It appears that the time is right for a computer upgrade to Macintosh Mini 2019 standard and OS.  I choose not to go the game computing PC route because I have too many job related applications on the Mac that do not transfer to PC  (I am an educator).

You can play a Tier 8 match in co-op as long as you do not play more than 2-3 matches.  The processor cannot handle all of the parameters for the match for a long period of time.

I hypothesize that random matches with 12 ships per team, scenario matches, and Tier 10 Clan battles overwhelm the vintage machinery after 1-2 matches.  Tier 6 Co-op is playable for perhaps 7-8 matches before WOWS has to be restarted.

I have been testing this hypothesis for about 5 months and I believe my findings are accurate.

I will probably upgrade the Mac over the x-mas holidays using a little bonus money from work.

Cheers, Astrosaint

Edited by Astrosaint

[SFBG]
Members
1,601 posts
8,443 battles

If the the Mac you use for work meets your needs, why not just get a cheaper Windows machine just for gaming? 

WOWs doesn't have that high of machine requirements, and I'm pretty sure the Mac wrapper is not supported by WG. 

So, it will always be an on-going issue, no matter what Mac you get.

But, if you need a new Mac for schoolwork, give it a shot.

• Cool 3

Members
2,900 posts
6,011 battles

As OtterWolf said...probably better to buy a Win PC and forgot the hassles of using the MAC.  There will ALWAYS be issues using the MAC no matter what.   GREAT machine but emulation always has problems.  Even a used game laptop can fill the bill as well.  

[XBRTC]
Members
2,774 posts
8,843 battles

The symptoms you’re describing don’t get better with a newer Mac. Until I did boot camp and windows 10, wows was unplayable on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

[SYN]
Members
561 posts
2,988 battles
9 hours ago, Astrosaint said:

Season's Greetings:

After a number of co-op matches at various tiers, I have come to the conclusion the Macintosh computers built in 2014 using Yosemite OS becomes very unstable when playing a match at Tier 5 or higher.  The program is often prone to crashes at any time during, before, or after a match.  I do not observe this phenomena at Tiers 1-5 playing co-op.  I also noted that the CPU does not get hot enough to warm the aluminum casing at the lower tiers.  It get warm enough to maintain coffee temperature at high tier gaming.

It appears that the time is right for a computer upgrade to Macintosh Mini 2019 standard and OS.  I choose not to go the game computing PC route because I have too many job related applications on the Mac that do not transfer to PC  (I am an educator).

You can play a Tier 8 match in co-op as long as you do not play more than 2-3 matches.  The processor cannot handle all of the parameters for the match for a long period of time.

I hypothesize that random matches with 12 ships per team, scenario matches, and Tier 10 Clan battles overwhelm the vintage machinery after 1-2 matches.  Tier 6 Co-op is playable for perhaps 7-8 matches before WOWS has to be restarted.

I have been testing this hypothesis for about 5 months and I believe my findings are accurate.

I will probably upgrade the Mac over the x-mas holidays using a little bonus money from work.

Cheers, Astrosaint

Like everyone has said, Macs are not meant for gaming. They are created for office solutions and they don't have the ability to carry high graphic games like WoWS. I once spoke to some developers who produce the Farming Simulator series, and they were telling me that macs should not be used for games as issues start to arise. They also mentioned that macs are meant for office solutions and not for games. As the other have said, I would highly recommend buying a PC instead of a Mac.

• Cool 1

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,216 battles

I have upgraded my Mac Mini to 2018 grade OS.  No difference in performances.  Since I do not pay WOWS competitively, I can live with the quirks that come with the platform I use.

macmade-.gif.fc209b87e12530de84db82da66fd2a41.gif

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles
21 hours ago, Astrosaint said:

, I can live with the quirks that come with the platform I use.

You have more patience the Mother Theresa. I use to play WOWS on a Mac till I defected and never looked back. I still have my Mac book (version 2011). I can;t  even use it to play games on Ninja Kiwi any more.

I guess I have to buy a new PC to replace that one, bottom line I recommend you defect to PC South Korea, Mac North Korea is fill with bugs and problems you dont really need to face.

A cheap PC is around 1k, or even on sale for less.. as long as you have a good GPU, great CPU, decent ram, you're good.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
379 posts
7,296 battles

I use a Mac for everything other than gaming.  It’s not that Macs aren’t meant for gaming—it’s all standard Intel hardware.  It’s that game developers don’t have the resources to properly port their games to a Mac.  It’s a different OS with different technologies, and most game studios don’t have the capability to work outside of Windows.  That leads to things like this game running in a wrapper—not an emulator.  It’s a poor compromise.

If your Mac is fine for the rest of what you do (and a 2014 likely will be for a few more years), consider buying a cheap Windows box.  You don’t need much in terms of performance to play WoWs.  It’s meant to run on really low-end hardware.  If you’ve currently got a mini, you should be able to use the same monitor for both.

I really enjoy doing my gaming on one computer and everything else on another.  While I’m waiting for matches I can use the other computer and monitor for other tasks.

• Cool 1

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,216 battles

I have upgraded my Mac Mini to 2018 grade OS.  No difference in performances.  Since I do not pay WOWS competitively, I can live with the quirks that come with the platform I use.

Navalpride33--"You have more patience than Mother Theresa"--Being an educator for 5-6 grade USA students, one needs to have such patience:Smile_glasses:

macmade-.gif.fc209b87e12530de84db82da66fd2a41.gif