You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dmal

Des Moines Armor Pattern compared to other US Heavy cruisers

6 comments in this topic

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
40 posts
6,538 battles

So I was taking a look at the armor layout of the Des Moines compared to the other US Heavy cruisers and I noticed a rather interesting pattern about US Heavy cruisers armor scheme that Des Moines doesn't follow. I'm going to use the Baltimore as my example screenshot and because it has a similar hull and overall layout to the Des Moines However all the other US Heavy cruisers follow this layout including both Pensacola and Indianapolis. So what I'm trying to point out is the fact that the citadel makes a drop on both the bow and aft of the Baltimore, a pattern that is repeated throughout all US Heavy cruisers except for Des Moines which has a single flat line citadel. I'm wondering why Des Moines doesn't continue the obvious armor trend of the US Heavy cruisers. Is it because the Des Moines Model hasn't been updated in a while or is it like this to balance out the ships high rate of fire. I don't know but I was wondering what others thought about this. Should Des Moines continue the armor layout of the US Heavy cruisers or does that risk it becoming overpowered?

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

• Cool 1

[KKM]
Members
808 posts
9,383 battles

Great question! And I will wait for the resident experts to weigh in since my knowledge regarding armor schemes on naval vessels is fairly limited

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles

The simple answer is the Des Moines is not a treaty cruiser. She is 17,000 ton cruiser where the treaty cruisers topped out around 14,000 tons. That is 3,000 more tons that can be dedicated to armor and equipment.

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,291 posts
6,166 battles

In reality the more extensive coverage of the armor belt on the CA-134 was a good thing. The magazines weren't any higher up on the ship as far as I know but WoWS seems to consider everything under the armor belt as part of the citadel so it actually works out to being a bad thing in game.

Post-treaty US heavy cruiser development seemed to value heavier armor than most contemporary cruisers. The CA-B design had a 7.5" armored belt for example. WG says it was reduced to 6" at some point but I can't find any information about that.

Edited by Lampshade_M1A2
  • Cool 1

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,538 posts
7,560 battles

D0E53B5F-32C1-40DC-9F83-AC8F13B07269.thumb.jpeg.1357f76db4f32db86524a528a8245e51.jpeg

That is a scheme of Des Moines‘ internal arrangements. As you can see, unlike on the older ships, her armored deck does not make a step down outside the boiler spaces but it is one deck from the front of the citadel until the rear.

• Cool 1