You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
riverslq

have they fixed radar yet? ya know, so it doesn't work through land?

28 comments in this topic

[LEGO]
Members
145 posts
4,073 battles

hahahahahahahahahahahah....

sorry, it was my attempt at a joke.

but seriously.  :p  

• Boring 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles

Both radar and hydro are simply an extension of the assured detection range from the stock 2.0 to whatever that ship has for a short period. They have said they have no plans to change this.

Members
1,195 posts

given it works the same for everyone with radar, and new people soon guess it works through land, there is no need for a change.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
Just now, b101uk said:

given it works the same for everyone with radar, and new people soon guess it works through land, there is no need for a change.

Changing it would require a completely new method of implementing it.

Members
1,195 posts
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

I know that - and changing it wasn't my point, my point was it works the same for everyone at the moment.

[RLGN]
Members
10,641 posts
19,797 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Say like; as a a secondary function after the program checks/measures line of sight; like it always should have been in the first place.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Say like; as a a secondary function after the program checks/measures line of sight; like it always should have been in the first place.

That is one heck of a lot more complicated than the line of sight tests because land does not move while ships and smoke can and do.

[RLGN]
Members
10,641 posts
19,797 battles
5 minutes ago, b101uk said:

I know that - and changing it wasn't my point, my point was it works the same for everyone at the moment.

Everyone except bots; who because of their programming always know where everything is anyway.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,718 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't believe that is so any longer. I think in one of the dev blogs they changed it and tested it, but didn't like the results and are going to look at other means to balance radar. IIRC they didn't like the strobe effect of a ship passing through islands, and are going to come at it another direction

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

I don't believe that is so any longer. I think in one of the dev blogs they changed it and tested it, but didn't like the results and are going to look at other means to balance radar. IIRC they didn't like the strobe effect of a ship passing through islands, and are going to come at it another direction

That sounds like a more complicated system to me.

2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Everyone except bots; who because of their programming always know where everything is anyway.

Yeah, it is beyond irritating to fire torpedoes from stealth and have the target react as soon as they are fired.

Members
1,195 posts
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Mr stating the obvious :Smile_facepalm:

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

Really I'm kinda over radar, the majority don't know how or when to use it, or can't get into a spot where it's truely effective. And it's made for lots of fun while people complain that a DD won't cap, and the DD says "find the radar ships" and the crusiers and BB ships are lost because they have never had to spot for themselves. Lol

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
41 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They have said they have no plans to change this.

I don't have it on hand, but if I looked I can find a dev stream where they did say that they "were interested in changing the way radar detects ships" or something along those ends.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,246 posts
12,042 battles

gaming radar work is different from real life radar work

Degree in game/coding is different from the Degree in Naval Academic

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
54 minutes ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

I don't have it on hand, but if I looked I can find a dev stream where they did say that they "were interested in changing the way radar detects ships" or something along those ends.

They have experimented with changes and none of them have panned out for various reasons. I don't see fixing/changing radar without a complete rework of the system.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

how would my radar work then with me hiding behind an island?

Members
2,070 posts
78 battles
1 hour ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

The intended change goes like this:

1. radar-equipped ship uses radar
  2. all enemy ships in the radar-detection radius gets detected by the radar-equipped ship only for a time interval
  3. after said time interval elapses, all enemy ships in the radar-detection radius will now be revealed to the radar-equipped ship's teammates. 

This is probably to reduce the "instantly get focus-fired and die when radared" effect radar currently has, and I highly approve this change.

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

[SIDE]
Members
2,363 posts
22 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

This is probably to reduce the "instantly get focus-fired and die when radared" effect radar currently has, and I highly approve this change.

You mean reduce it from “almost never really happens this way” to “ almost never really happens this way”. Yeah, I can see them dumping hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on it then. Not

Members
180 posts
2,725 battles

I'm pretty sure the radar waves pass through land via the same hyper-dimensional wormhole that delivers an infinite supply of reload torpedoes to ships that had no reloads whatsoever in the real world....

• Cool 1

Members
623 posts
7,296 battles

I haven't see that much radar lately anyway.  Seems that BB's and DD's have been dominating in terms of numbers in the games I've played in recently.  That could just be my luck with matchmaking tho.  No idea at all if it's a trend.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,969 posts
16,148 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Both radar and hydro are simply an extension of the assured detection range from the stock 2.0 to whatever that ship has for a short period. They have said they have no plans to change this.

Actually they said they were reworking the entire mechanic last I'd heard, and it's coming along at the same breakneck pace as the CV rework. Don't get dizzy at the rework's blazing speed.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,969 posts
16,148 battles

You mean like the completely new method of allowing a ship to hide behind an island so you can't see it?

3 hours ago, b101uk said:

my point was it works the same for everyone at the moment.

And OPs point is that it works WRONG for everyone at the moment, and every other moment.

That is one heck of a lot more complicated than the line of sight tests because land does not move while ships and smoke can and do.

And yet, somehow, when a ship moves behind an island, you can't see it; absolutely freakin' astonishing!

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As anyone who has ever played one game in co-op can assure you.

Yeah, it is beyond irritating to fire torpedoes from stealth and have the target react as soon as they are fired.

And almost as annoying as having planes come directly to your position despite not knowing you are there; fun and engaging!

2 hours ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

It exists; it came out about the same time as the CV rework began to gather both speed and complaints.

1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

gaming radar work is different from real life radar work

Degree in game/coding is different from the Degree in Naval Academic

Really? Maybe we can get shells that pass through islands too, because game shells would certainly work differently than real life shells.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't see fixing/changing radar without a complete rework of the system.

Because while it's not possible for players to see through islands it's also not possible for radar NOT to see through islands. Yeah, that must be it.

1 hour ago, Ron4ja said:

how would my radar work then with me hiding behind an island?

The same way your eyes work when you're hiding behind an island.

1 hour ago, RyuuohD_NA said:
  • radar-equipped ship uses radar
  • all enemy ships in the radar-detection radius gets detected by the radar-equipped ship only

This would work, just eliminate the rest.

• Cool 1

Members
923 posts
5,209 battles

DD 101... always have an escape plan. Always assume the radar ships are on your side of the map. Bail if you have to. Bait them if you can. Roll with KM ca/bbs who aren't afraid of scratched paint. Rinse. Repeat.

Members
376 posts
5 battles

Until wargaming can figure out a way to divorce radar from assured detection, it's not going to happen. Until then shut up and go away. 

Oh and a note Estimated_Prophet, you make it sound soooo easy with your statements, and that shows how pathetically ignorant you are of how coding works and how the more qualifiers you give to any intended event the more likely it's going to explode catastrophically with bugs and errors. 

Edited by TheNargacuga