You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
garpikedw

close quarters expert in a carrier!

27 comments in this topic

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,884 posts
6,590 battles

I have a pretty good explanation.

• Your CV has a secondary gun.
  • You piloted your CV towards an enemy (or vice versa).
  • The secondary gun fired, struck the enemy ship, and sank it.
  • This rewards the "Close Quarters Expert" award.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,321 posts
11,303 battles

Because CV's only have secondaries.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,718 posts

I was in a game in my Gaede, closed in on a CV, aimed my torpedoes  boom, secondary shell hit me and it was both fun and engaging.

And I run mag mod 1 on all my dd's.

Enjoy it, I would

[PQUOD]
Members
2,150 posts
9,816 battles
26 minutes ago, garpikedw said:

I have no idea how i did it.

carrier close quarters expert.jpg

Congratulations! You lived the CV dream. Your secondaries killed your enemy. DD I presume. I've seen it before. Was in a match and the T5 Bogue that was on our side was about to meet his doom by a chasing low health DD, can't remember the nation. Anyways, the two secondaries on the Bogue are mounted on the stern, one fired and took it out. The prey turned the tables on the predator in that match.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,200 posts
15,552 battles

A CV getting a Close Quarters medal while funny isn't rare. Heck I've even helped a few CVs get Solo Warriors. But than I've also helped an AFK ship get Solo Warrior. 

If you want a rare CV medal its Die Hard. Those are rare to see. The first one I witnessed was a T5 CV slamming the ship into reverse and a T5 DD ran into the CVs stern. I laughed so hard after that one. 

Now the funnest Close Quarters I've ever seen was an enemy AFK Yammy who's Secondary gunners manage to sink Two Low HP T10 destroyers who some how missed their torps and decided to get close to use their guns. The level of stupid was just to much to comprehend.  

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,247 posts
12,051 battles
54 minutes ago, garpikedw said:

WoWs folder <-- where you install the game

open it

look for folder name replays

Open the replays folder and watch Langley game to see how you got it. It very easy since WoWs auto save your last 15 replays game play

• Cool 1

[KSD]
Beta Testers
508 posts
13,208 battles
1 hour ago, garpikedw said:

carrier close quarters expert.jpg

CQE is DDs is more rare than CVs getting it.

[RLGN]
Members
10,651 posts
19,815 battles
1 hour ago, Harathan said:

Get a CCE award in the Independence B Hull, then we'll be impressed.

C hull removes the 127s for more AA? or is B the top hull?

Either way; if tertiaries were permitted, some of the carriers would be buzzsaws up close.

1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Congratulations! You lived the CV dream. Your secondaries killed your enemy. DD I presume. I've seen it before. Was in a match and the T5 Bogue that was on our side was about to meet his doom by a chasing low health DD, can't remember the nation. Anyways, the two secondaries on the Bogue are mounted on the stern, one fired and took it out. The prey turned the tables on the predator in that match.

Did it in Langley against a Minekaze.

Have several in my Bogue, (beware the Bogue showing you its tushy,) and one in Ryujo against an Independence when we both tried to grab the same cap.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,150 posts
9,816 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

and one in Ryujo against an Independence when we both tried to grab the same cap.

lol awesome. I have seen matches where the two CV's offered to meet on a map point and duel it out with secondaries. Never happens though. A vulnerable CV in a match exposed  to the opposing combatant ships is like dangling a pork chop in front of a hungry den of lions.

[DAS]
Members
499 posts
5,384 battles

I did that once a long time ago. I think I still have the video somewhere on YouTube if anybody is interested.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

got one of those yesterday in my Kaga!:Smile_veryhappy: everyone including the DD chasing me was surprised!:cap_wander_2:

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
1 hour ago, ExploratorOne said:

And then there are the GZ's secondaries...

I watched one take 2 caps and kill 3 boats, the secondaries don't need to reload it would seem. It's a Bizmarck with a flight deck. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,658 posts
9,868 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_h2o said:

I watched one take 2 caps and kill 3 boats, the secondaries don't need to reload it would seem. It's a Bizmarck with a flight deck. 

Wow.  AR and BFT...

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles
4 hours ago, Harathan said:

Get a CCE award in the Independence B Hull, then we'll be impressed.

Speaking of...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles

I mean, I got the one for ramming and surviving once long ago.  Everyone flipped out seeing the carrier earning that.  A cheeky DD was hiding behind an island to torp me and I was underway, he popped out right in front of what he thought would be a stationary carrier a few km away and instead was one a few hundred meters away at flank speed.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,822 posts
9,443 battles

Had a similar experience when my Zuiho's secondaries took out a Furutaka that beached 3km away. Everyone thought it was hilarious.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,847 posts
4,855 battles

Don't underestimate those DP guns...I had a few on my Lex - one of them when my DBs managed to bust one torpedo tube of the attacking Benson and his remaining five couldn't catch me, he went down from my DP fire...

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,496 posts
3,555 battles

I can remember back in Alpha when the T8 CV's first were introduced... many many games in which DDs & CA/CL getting nuked by CV secondaries.. It was almost comical to watch the inevitable when game would end up with just one CV alone against some DDs or heavily damaged CLs... CV pilot would just dash straight at them focus secondaries and win.     

Members
2,939 posts
3,741 battles
15 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

C hull removes the 127s for more AA? or is B the top hull?

Either way; if tertiaries were permitted, some of the carriers would be buzzsaws up close.

Did it in Langley against a Minekaze.

Have several in my Bogue, (beware the Bogue showing you its tushy,) and one in Ryujo against an Independence when we both tried to grab the same cap.

B Hull in Indy is top and removed secondaries. I was making a joke.