Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Do you do better on some maps than others?

23 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

Every time I get certain maps like for example Two Brothers I breathe a sigh of relief because I tend to do well on them.  With other maps, Islands of Ice for example, my hopes for a good game evaporate.

Do you do better on some maps and worse on others?

:Smile_hiding:

• Boring 1

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,798 battles

I tend to do my usual on most maps. I have played them enough to learn the tactics.

However it also depends on the remaining 11 players. Just gonna say theres too many taters out there

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles

Absolutely.

I'm not sure the name of it off the top of my head, but the map its an ABC map, with B and C basically being totally open, with a big island between A and B.

I HATE that map, can never get anything done, there is no real cover and you're either on the A side or the BC side and thats it, terrible map.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,504 posts
8,988 battles

Typically I can find a path to success no matter the map, but there are certain ones that I dislike for various reasons.  *cough ocean cough*

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles

Usually depends on the ship I've chosen versus the map given.  Certain maps favor some ship types more than others.

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
23 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Every time I get certain maps like for example Two Brothers I breathe a sigh of relief because I tend to do well on them.  With other maps, Islands of Ice for example, my hopes for a good game evaporate.

Do you do better on some maps and worse on others?

:Smile_hiding:

Yeah I am terrible on Epicenter......never got it figured out. Go left go right go center...........delete :(

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

I've got a very high success rate going up the middle on 2 Bros in the Derpitz, but that is ship+map specific.

If I had my choice of maps to perform on though, it's ocean.

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
16 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Typically I can find a path to success no matter the map, but there are certain ones that I dislike for various reasons.  *cough ocean cough*

I love the Ocean map.  Absolutely love it.  However, because we get it so rarely, I don't think that many newer players really know how to play it properly.  And worse, because we get it so rarely, it feels like blind, dumb luck whenever we do see it and I feel like often end up in the worst possible ship on those rare times I see Ocean.  If we saw it a lot more often, which we absolutely should, this sense of seeing it only in the "wrong" ship would even out as we'd also end up seeing it in ships that are better suited to it, such as BBs, DDs, and cruisers with longer ranged guns.

• Cool 1

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,770 battles
23 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Absolutely.

I'm not sure the name of it off the top of my head, but the map its an ABC map, with B and C basically being totally open, with a big island between A and B.

I HATE that map, can never get anything done, there is no real cover and you're either on the A side or the BC side and thats it, terrible map.

Sounds like Oki. I also hate that map but for me it is largely user error on my part. My YOLO Demon takes control and dooms me to an entertaining but short game.

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
18 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Yeah I am terrible on Epicenter......never got it figured out. Go left go right go center...........delete :(

Epicenter just isn't that difficult to figure out.  It's not rocket science or brain surgery, after all.  It does vary a little with each map, due to the  terrain present.  But in general, it comes down to DDs working the mid or supporting the flanks, while the heavies work the flanks.  Of course, some maps are smaller and the epi-rings are smaller, which can slightly change the tactics.  Tears of  the Desert tends to be so large that hanging back behind the rings (near spawn) is worthless because of the size of the map and the rings means that the enemy is too far away for accurate gunfire.  This is not as true for Epi maps like Trident and Big Race.

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
28 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Absolutely.

Sounds like Okinawa.  It's one of the best maps in the game.  I love that it's so open.  That's what REAL naval combat is like.  When people complain about how bad static game play is, the root cause of it is terrain.  People will find some piece of terrain, aka an island, and fall in love with it and never want to move.  To me, this is exactly why Ocean is the best map in the game.  No islands, no cover, to work, i.e. to hide behind and never leave.  You have to play the game staying in nearly constant motion.  Constant run and gun.  Constantly dynamic game play.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Sounds like Okinawa.  It's one of the best maps in the game.  I love that it's so open.  That's what REAL naval combat is like.  When people complain about how bad static game play is, the root cause of it is terrain.  People will find some piece of terrain, aka an island, and fall in love with it and never want to move.  To me, this is exactly why Ocean is the best map in the game.  No islands, no cover, to work, i.e. to hide behind and never leave.  You have to play the game staying in nearly constant motion.  Constant run and gun.  Constantly dynamic game play.

To each his own I suppose, but the maps with no cover make me feel FORCED to fight at max range or risk being deleted (I prefer Cruisers btw) or kite the entire time.  

Its more fun for me to find good cover and angles and get shots on a target that can't see me than it is to kite and run near the edge of the map firing 1/4th of my guns and having to rely on fires to kill anything, not for me.    Strategy and positioning as opposed to angling and wiggling.

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

To each his own I suppose, but the maps with no cover make me feel FORCED to fight at max range or risk being deleted (I prefer Cruisers btw) or kite the entire time.  

Its more fun for me to find good cover and angles and get shots on a target that can't see me than it is to kite and run near the edge of the map firing 1/4th of my guns and having to rely on fires to kill anything, not for me.    Strategy and positioning as opposed to angling and wiggling.

Then why not just play World of Tanks?  That's what you want to play essentially.   Tanks are about positioning and using the terrain.  Warship combat is about constant fire and maneuver.  This is World of Warships, not World of Sea Tanks.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Then why not just play World of Tanks?  That's what you want to play essentially.   Tanks are about positioning and using the terrain.  Warship combat is about constant fire and maneuver.  This is World of Warships, not World of Sea Tanks.

Cause I prefer boats?   Also the stories of WoT being very much pay to win puts me off entirely.

I wouldn't mind the open maps so much if there was more strategy to surviving than "don't be seen first and don't be closest to the enemy team"  /shrug.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

Absolutely.

Sounds like Okinawa in Domination mode.

Yeah, it's a horrible design, objectively horrible.

And it's supposed to be changing in the patch next week, IIRC, to have the big island moved to the middle of B.

[TURD]
Members
154 posts
2,045 battles

I like Two Brothers because large central islands usually protects me from getting wrecked by and unexpected broadside from BB's across the map when I lose awareness. Definitely one of my favorites for that reason, I can just focus on enemies in front of me.

Members
717 posts
8,114 battles

I think that IJN DD's have an advantage on the more open maps.

There stealth is usually the best, so the other DD's die off sooner.

So you get to that perfect world of only BB's and DD's faster.

[-AGW-]
Members
819 posts
11,448 battles

Shatter almost never goes well. Two brothers is alright, but a downright nightmare with a derpy team. Same is true for Neighbours if the majority insists on taking A. If it's a standard battle all bets are off. 

Beta Testers
538 posts
11,077 battles

I really like Ocean but don't see it enough.

Sleeping Giant should just be deleted and the designer sacked. I can do OK on it but that map promotes the most stagnant, hide behind island play in the game.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
3 hours ago, Don_Alvarez said:

I like Two Brothers because large central islands usually protects me from getting wrecked by and unexpected broadside from BB's across the map when I lose awareness. Definitely one of my favorites for that reason, I can just focus on enemies in front of me.

Plus you get the occasional YOLO up the middle which always makes for a good time by defenders.

Sign in to follow this