You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ChubbyLuver

Choose your own ship in santa crates

21 comments in this topic

[AVW]
Members
29 posts
4,383 battles

Waited all year for my first crack at Santa containers. Decided to not buy any, after reading about the ship drops. If I need camo or flags I would definitely buy them and accept whatever ships as a bonus. But like most people, I don't need either, and would be buying the crates for the ships. 

I wish that when you won a ship, you could just win a ship of your choice from a specific tier. Missouri, Belfast etc could be placed into another tier of 'rare ships' that you could select from, and that tier would drop less than others obviously. 

I have no problem choosing a ship that I'd play from tier 5, 6 etc. But, knowing that my crates will likely get me a krasny, t-61, and a Monahan takes the element of surprise out of the equation. 

I would imagine WG would sell a lot more crates if this was the case. They could also give away premium camos in this way for specific tiers etc. I'd rather there be less ship drops with this method, than 3-4 ships I will never play out of 20 containers. 

Edited by ChubbyLuver
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles

Actually, you are wrong. They would sell alot less because people would cherry pick the ships they wanted.  The reason you are wrong is because you are underestimating how many people will keep buying crates over and over in their desire to chase a specific ship. Combine that with the fact that you are absolutely getting a great value out of the boxes you are buying, even if they aren't that specific ship your looking for and the number of boxes purchase will soar.

Honestly, this is the best promotion I have ever seen in a game of this type.   You really do get much more than you spend which provides the players with an incentive to keep purchasing boxes.  It is the best of both worlds for Wargaming as the program is in the majority generally perceived as offering excellent value for the money spent, while also generating huge amounts of revenue in the process.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
10,956 posts
4 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Actually, you are wrong. They would sell alot less because people would cherry pick the ships they wanted.  The reason you are wrong is because you are underestimating how many people will keep buying crates over and over in their desire to chase a specific ship. Combine that with the fact that you are absolutely getting a great value out of the boxes you are buying, even if they aren't that specific ship your looking for and the number of boxes purchase will soar.

Honestly, this is the best promotion I have ever seen in a game of this type.   You really do get much more than you spend which provides the players with an incentive to keep purchasing boxes.  It is the best of both worlds for Wargaming as the program is in the majority generally perceived as offering excellent value for the money spent, while also generating huge amounts of revenue in the process.

This ^, if they let you pick the ship, they would charge a lot more defeating the purpose and value of the crates. If you want a specific ship, buy it directly when it is on sale. 

Edited by RipNuN2

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,798 battles

LOL.

I dont have premium camos on my tier Xs and having some extra camo doesnt hurt. Also im training all my captains to 19, on the ships i enjoyed playing by doing scenarios. Its a win win

[LOU1]
Members
3,665 posts
9,892 battles
3 minutes ago, ChubbyLuver said:

Clever. Can you post a link to the Missouri? Which 'randomly' comes in Christmas crates after you obtain every other ship of course. 

FWIW, players have received the Mo while still not having all of the other premiums.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
22 minutes ago, ChubbyLuver said:

Clever. Can you post a link to the Missouri? Which 'randomly' comes in Christmas crates after you obtain every other ship of course. 

17 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

FWIW, players have received the Mo while still not having all of the other premiums.

This^^

You can receive the rare ships, it is just a small chance, like getting a specific other ship would be. Once you have all the regular premiums, then all you have left are rare ships, so you will get one.

As for Missouri, see here.

That offer is over though. At least now you have a chance in a Santa crate or in a super container.

[LOU1]
Members
3,665 posts
9,892 battles
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

This^^

You can receive the rare ships, it is just a small chance, like getting a specific other ship would be. Once you have all the regular premiums, then all you have left are rare ships, so you will get one.

As for Missouri, see here.

That offer is over though. At least now you have a chance in a Santa crate or in a super container.

In about a month, Musashi will be talked about just like the Mo is now.  And the Belfast/Kutuzov, and the Gremy, and the Kamikaze, and the....

Grab Musashi while you can, if you haven’t already, to avoid that heartache.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
40 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I already had the MO, but the first non-duplicate ships out of Santa Crates for me were Musashi and Kronshtadt.  Only after those did I get 3 other ships.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,707 posts
11,022 battles

29 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

In about a month, Musashi will be talked about just like the Mo is now.  And the Belfast/Kutuzov, and the Gremy, and the Kamikaze, and the....

Grab Musashi while you can, if you haven’t already, to avoid that heartache.

Good point.  Next year there will be posts complaining that Musashi is unavailable to people who couldn't afford it or weren't around.  And the only way to get it will be spending money on Christmas crates.  If some get their way, the Christmas crates will go away.  The paradox will be that there are more unhappy people and happy people at the same time.

• Cool 1

[RNG]
Members
279 posts
3,480 battles

While maybe not being able to pick what ship you get, I wish it was ACTUALLY random.  I don't like the idea of having a way higher chance of getting a krispy creme, for instance, than a bote that I actually want out of the big containers.  I'd rather you just have an equal shot at everything - removed premiums not included of course -.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,418 battles

Ships?

I want to see all the varieties of premium cammo in the crates.

Caveat - you may not have the ship to mount them on.

[A-I-M]
Members
377 posts
1,159 battles

I can see being allowed to pick your own ship as sometimes players just want the one ship and that's it and don't want there port full of ships they will never use or have the intention of using at all. I back this thought of choosing your ship if you get the chance they already asking to gamble so why not let that be enough to allow the player to choose.

[A-I-M]
Members
377 posts
1,159 battles
5 hours ago, ChubbyLuver said:

Cant fault him for trying though

[A-I-M]
Members
377 posts
1,159 battles
4 minutes ago, DBoy_Min said:

So WG put up a lottery, but you dislike it since you cant pick the prize?

For me I don't mind the gambling bit but I would like to have it when I do get the point where I can get a ship let me choose.

[SEOP]
Members
1,522 posts
8,233 battles
42 minutes ago, DBoy_Min said:

I wonder if there's actually a word for a lottery where you pick your prize?  

[AVW]
Members
29 posts
4,383 battles
2 hours ago, DBoy_Min said:

No. I'm noticing topic after topic about people disliking what they receive so I suggested an alternative that would solve some of the issue. I don't buy any containers so I don't really care. If they allowed me to pick I would buy them. It's that simple. 

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
8 hours ago, ChubbyLuver said:

Waited all year for my first crack at Santa containers. Decided to not buy any, after reading about the ship drops. If I need camo or flags I would definitely buy them and accept whatever ships as a bonus. But like most people, I don't need either, and would be buying the crates for the ships. 

I wish that when you won a ship, you could just win a ship of your choice from a specific tier. Missouri, Belfast etc could be placed into another tier of 'rare ships' that you could select from, and that tier would drop less than others obviously. 

I have no problem choosing a ship that I'd play from tier 5, 6 etc. But, knowing that my crates will likely get me a krasny, t-61, and a Monahan takes the element of surprise out of the equation. 

I would imagine WG would sell a lot more crates if this was the case. They could also give away premium camos in this way for specific tiers etc. I'd rather there be less ship drops with this method, than 3-4 ships I will never play out of 20 containers. 

If I could chose my own Santa crates I wouldn't be out $130 in an effort to get the Boise

WG hears my phone calls and knows my thoughts, they have given me tons of ships and anyone would think that I have scored... but because of the algorithms, they know I will spend $30 more on crates before they give me the one ship I really wanted.

You see, I am a sucker, and like others, that were born within my minute. I shall perceiver till I get it and play it 4 times. But success will be mine.

I am the reason WG sells these crates the way they do.

In all reality though, the goodies you get that aren't ships are the real value...