Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SireneRacker

So, about some older models...

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,886
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,538 posts
7,560 battles

So I looked in my port a bit and decided to check out the Rental Gearing I have, because hey, why not? and what I noticed was that she (and some other ships) still have really old models. What baffled me the most was this:

shot-18_12.13_22_47.03-0873.thumb.jpg.da9cba85cf0ca6a95537a4efddaad197.jpg

That encircled thing is most likely supposed to be a fire extinguisher, which probably just got printed onto the skin since no model for the extinguisher in 3d existed. These are obviously smaller details, but still are part of the whole. Does WoWs even have a 3d fire extinguisher available? Yes they do, Ognevoi carries one for example:

shot-18_12.13_22_47.46-0491.thumb.jpg.7abec3935d232730c383535c165db9b6.jpg

 

Gearing's age gets even more pronounced when looking at that black "thing" (someone with more insight can perhabs explain its purpose) below the forward Torpedo launcher:

shot-18_12.13_23_21.01-0915.thumb.jpg.678162090819987080594f34019b8556.jpg

Compared to YueYang, a ship of a similar class (not the same, but similar):

shot-18_12.13_23.21_12-0382.thumb.jpg.a705a46dfe1f91c31b412ab81eec0446.jpg

It's quite a difference, isn't it?

 

So please Wargaming, we know you are updating smaller parts of the ships like armament and small parts like hoses and pipes, and no one denies that the newer models are all looking great. But please, the older models just as much deserve some love. And this is not only about Gearing, I should add. It's also about ships like Kagerou, Yamato, Warspite, and many more.

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles

To he honest, players have already poinred out the glaring discrepancies of Gearing's model which the ship pays for both aesthetically and physically.

Some poster pointed out when Yueyang was released that Gearing's model was ~3ft wider than she is supposed to be, with more freeboard.

WG said they are aware, and will adress it at a later date but not a priority.

I hear Gearing is the oldest model in the game; if not one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,139
[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
14 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

To he honest, players have already poinred out the glaring discrepancies of Gearing's model which the ship pays for both aesthetically and physically.

Some poster pointed out when Yueyang was released that Gearing's model was ~3ft wider than she is supposed to be, with more freeboard.

WG said they are aware, and will adress it at a later date but not a priority.

I hear Gearing is the oldest model in the game; if not one of them.

Gearing also sits significantly higher in the water than Yueyang, which makes it appear awkward and floaty.  Hopefully the correct this too someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,886
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,538 posts
7,560 battles
17 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

To he honest, players have already poinred out the glaring discrepancies of Gearing's model which the ship pays for both aesthetically and physically.

Some poster pointed out when Yueyang was released that Gearing's model was ~3ft wider than she is supposed to be, with more freeboard.

WG said they are aware, and will adress it at a later date but not a priority.

I hear Gearing is the oldest model in the game; if not one of them.

I am just hoping that WG comes around to that issue one day, because it really pains to look at Gearing or Kagerou, and then look at the newest ship added to the game. It's like day and night. WG has the abilities to make good looking models, but their motivation in regards to polishing older models is... rather low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Gearing also sits significantly higher in the water than Yueyang, which makes it appear awkward and floaty.  Hopefully the correct this too someday.

Hope so, but when/if WG do, Gearing will look allot different. Des Moines model waa updated quite gradually over the patches, and even atlanta received gradual touch uos from time to time. 

But if you listened to the latest mingles eith Jingles episode, Jingles hinted WG and some CCs were fussing about the supposed infare impact post treaty cruisers have on battles than established ship models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

I am just hoping that WG comes around to that issue one day, because it really pains to look at Gearing or Kagerou, and then look at the newest ship added to the game. It's like day and night. WG has the abilities to make good looking models, but their motivation in regards to polishing older models is... rather low.

As spectacular a company as WG been in including feedback and input from their playerbase, you have to remember WG isn't perfect and xertainly isn't god; they cant snap their fingers and: poof.

Let us hope WG never becomes Activision:Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,139
[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
31 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I am just hoping that WG comes around to that issue one day, because it really pains to look at Gearing or Kagerou, and then look at the newest ship added to the game. It's like day and night. WG has the abilities to make good looking models, but their motivation in regards to polishing older models is... rather low.

I'm sure they will gradually update them as time/resources permit.  But we both know updating ship models isn't going to really pay the bills, so there are always going to be higher priorities for them, especially regarding revenue.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
988
[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

For what?

 

https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/destroyer/ddtubes/index.htm

Blast Shield. A cylindrical steel shield on Torpedo Tube Mk 15 houses the area of operation and protects operators from the blast of nearby guns. Inclusion of the blast shield is the principal difference between Torpedo Tubes Mk 14 and Mk 15. The wall consists of an outer and inner shell of light gage, corrosion resistant steel welded to horizontal stiffener rings. The shallow conical roof also is double constructed with an access hatch in the center. Ports on the muzzle side of the wall are for vision and ventilation.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,539
[WOLFG]
Members
5,320 posts
3,131 battles
3 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/destroyer/ddtubes/index.htm

Blast Shield. A cylindrical steel shield on Torpedo Tube Mk 15 houses the area of operation and protects operators from the blast of nearby guns. Inclusion of the blast shield is the principal difference between Torpedo Tubes Mk 14 and Mk 15. The wall consists of an outer and inner shell of light gage, corrosion resistant steel welded to horizontal stiffener rings. The shallow conical roof also is double constructed with an access hatch in the center. Ports on the muzzle side of the wall are for vision and ventilation.

Being from the modern age, I never thought of someone being on top of those during battle.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
988
[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Being from the modern age, I never thought of someone being on top of those during battle.

+1

Right?  One shell hit, of any caliber, could easily wipe out the entire torpedo operation team, even with some "light gage" steel protecting them.  

...what exactly is my repair party doing when my tubes get knocked out and I fix them? Necromancy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
40 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm sure they will gradually update them as time/resources permit.  But we both know updating ship models isn't going to really pay the bills, so there are always going to be higher priorities for them, especially regarding revenue.

to be honest, better models = better aesthetics which amount to more desirable. the more players new and old who desire Gearing, the more likely somebody somewhere is going to buy dubloons to convert FXP to buy the ship without grinding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,139
[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
4 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

to be honest, better models = better aesthetics which amount to more desirable. the more players new and old who desire Gearing, the more likely somebody somewhere is going to buy dubloons to convert FXP to buy the ship without grinding.

Sure, but the immediate and amount of revenue generate by this is far less impactful than that of a new Premium Ship or something like Santa Crates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
988
[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles

Shhhh you guys are going to give WG ideas and they're going to start releasing updated models that you have to purchase with dubloons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
42 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Shhhh you guys are going to give WG ideas and they're going to start releasing updated models that you have to purchase with dubloons.

Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,617 posts
8,251 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

...what exactly is my repair party doing when my tubes get knocked out and I fix them? Necromancy?

Well that explains the cooldown.  They're not fixing things up, they're casting spells!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×