You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Still waiting for that "Grand Slam" achievement...

15 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
5,191 posts
11,795 battles

I think I have maybe 4-5 games in Minsk since the Russian DD line split.  Still, for some reason I still have it in port.  This morning I decided to take it out and landed in a T8 game.

I scored a Kraken, and sank 1 CV, 1 BB, 1 CA, and 2 DD's.

Yep, sank at least one each of carrier, battleship, cruiser, and destroyer.

That's kind of cool.  Rare, sure, but cool!  I have done it several times before, but usually in Tiers 3-5.

I have said it many times over the years, but sinking one of each ship type in a game should be an achievement.  Call it "Grand Slam" for the hunting reference (harvesting one of each species of turkey or sheep), or for the baseball reference (4-run hit)...it applies both ways.

• Cool 8

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,679 posts
8,346 battles

That would actually be a good achievement.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles

Sounds like basketball, how about something referencing a naval battle or commander who achieved such a feat?

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
12 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Sounds like basketball, how about something referencing a naval battle or commander who achieved such a feat?

I like the Grand Slam idea, personally.  But do you have any specific suggestions?

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles

Typically most new achievement suggestions I meet with a roll of the eyes, as it seems we have so many already, aren't more just clutter (especially if they are not truly unique).   However I..................really like this idea, a lot actually!  Have a +1

SpfMH7K.gif.4a61e0e8d716c8eec27f0fb502dca749.gif

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
3 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Typically most new achievement suggestions I meet with a roll of the eyes, as it seems we have so many already, aren't more just clutter (especially if they are not truly unique).   However I..................really like this idea, a lot actually!  Have a +1

What kind of rewards for this kind of achievement?  It'd be a pretty rare feat (with the no guarantee of CVs in any given battle), so the rewards should be decent, no?

• One of each type signal flag?
  • One rare type of signal flag?
  • 5x special camo?

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

I like the Grand Slam idea, personally.  But do you have any specific suggestions?

For names or achievements? I have a few:

Nimitz's wrath: sink 2 or more enemy CVs and atleast an enemy cruiser in a single battle.

For your achievement? I'd call it Halsey's revenge or Lyte Ghost.

Gunichi Mikawa's wrath: sinking three American cruisers.

Iron bottom rider: For taking friendly fire and damaging 3 enemy ships while surviving the battle.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
9 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Typically most new achievement suggestions I meet with a roll of the eyes, as it seems we have so many already, 

The peoblem isnt that there too many, there are none commemorating actual military feats; unlike WoT where almost every medel is a comomemorat of am axis or allied tank hero.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,898 battles
54 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I think I have maybe 4-5 games in Minsk since the Russian DD line split.  Still, for some reason I still have it in port.  This morning I decided to take it out and landed in a T8 game.

I scored a Kraken, and sank 1 CV, 1 BB, 1 CA, and 2 DD's.

Yep, sank at least one each of carrier, battleship, cruiser, and destroyer.

That's kind of cool.  Rare, sure, but cool!  I have done it several times before, but usually in Tiers 3-5.

I have said it many times over the years, but sinking one of each ship type in a game should be an achievement.  Call it "Grand Slam" for the hunting reference (harvesting one of each species of turkey or sheep), or for the baseball reference (4-run hit)...it applies both ways.

In terms of Baseball terminology it would 'Hit for the Cycle' (single, double, triple, homerun), call it Sink(ing) for the Cycle or something similar is more akin to what your requesting.

• Cool 2

[USCG]
Members
383 posts
14,844 battles

Grand Slam is nice but "Hitting for the Cycle" is what popped into my mind.  One of each in a game...

• Cool 2

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
44 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

What kind of rewards for this kind of achievement?  It'd be a pretty rare feat (with the no guarantee of CVs in any given battle), so the rewards should be decent, no?

• One of each type signal flag?
  • One rare type of signal flag?
  • 5x special camo?

Well as it is both rare and covers all 4 lines, why not make it unique in rewards and universal across lines.  Give a FXP boost to the player's earnings for that battle.   

[O_O]
Members
5,191 posts
11,795 battles
1 hour ago, Junostorm said:

In terms of Baseball terminology it would 'Hit for the Cycle' (single, double, triple, homerun), call it Sink(ing) for the Cycle or something similar is more akin to what your requesting.

I don't really care what it would be called, but "Hit for the Cycle" seems a bit too baseball specific.

Even though "Grand Slam" also has a hunting reference, I'm pretty sure that also came from baseball, so...

Edited by desmo_2

[SOFOP]
Members
1,068 posts
7,935 battles

Since I doubt there is a military based term for this....has there ever been someone that has been involved with sinking a destroyer, a cruiser, a CV and a battleship - ever?

"The Cycle" seems like it would work.  Perhaps you don't even have to destroy them, just do X% of damage to one of each type.

Members
751 posts
13,115 battles
1 hour ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Not new by a long shot. BaronvonGamez suggested this achievement back in closed Beta

[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles
7 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Since I doubt there is a military based term for this....has there ever been someone that has been involved with sinking a destroyer, a cruiser, a CV and a battleship - ever?

I really doubt it.  I would say if it was possible for anyone it would probably be a submarine captain.