You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HashtagYoloSwagChamp

Molotov - IFHE?

12 comments in this topic

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,770 battles

Santa was nice and I got a Molotov. I know at high tiers 180's need IFHE to shine, however, in the Molotov's MM spread would it really be worth the 4 points to add IFHE? Any insight would be appreciated.

Members
4,034 posts
8,709 battles

Molotov.jpg.14c54fc94a1dc664219a2de2a7c373da.jpg

Molotov

A very unique ship, everything a premium should be.

No idea about IFHE--if you have the points to spare give it a go. Keep in mind though that while the Molotov hits hard with her flat-trajectory guns, she does not take damage well. Speed and concealment are your best assets.

[FLNVY]
Members
108 posts

nah my molotov is fine as it is imo. Dispersion good. Fire % good. Speed is amazing. its penetration already abuses dds at any range so its not really worthwhile, and your heavy he shells hurt bbs a lot.

Only bad thing is you get deleted bow-on or broad to any bb but other than that get something more useful like Concealment or Advanced firing training. 

I have a cmndr that specializes in soviet cas and dds so i got RDF for my dds but its actually been somewhat useful on my Molotov.

You do you bro.

Edited by IDAMAN_04

[WOLF7]
Members
11,901 posts

Won't pen anything more than you normally would. However it is amusing to HE citadel low tier cruisers..even though you're better off using ap on them. 

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
36 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Molotov.jpg.14c54fc94a1dc664219a2de2a7c373da.jpg

Molotov

A very unique ship, everything a premium should be.

No idea about IFHE--if you have the points to spare give it a go. Keep in mind though that while the Molotov hits hard with her flat-trajectory guns, she does not take damage well. Speed and concealment are your best assets.

Murmansk is better. 

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
903 posts
13,875 battles

The 180s can already pen 30mm of armor. IFHE won't really allow you to penetrate much more due to the T5-T8 spread of ships you will be playing against, imo. There just won't be too many things you will face where the extra 30% of HE penetration will actually do anything you cannot already do. T8 BBs will have 32mm of armor, but in those cases I aim for superstructure and count on fires to do the work.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
825 posts
25,837 battles

IFHE will pen the ends and some of the decks of T8 BBs. If this is worth a smaller fire chance against everything else in your T5-8 matchmaking spread, then use it. Personally, I wouldn't do it except that a Russian cruiser captain that doesn't use IFHE would have to be a Kirov or Moskva driver, maybe a dedicated Svietlana, and these ships may not be the best for a Molotov. For instance, my Moskva does not have AFT and does have Expert Marksman, skills I would probably switch on a Molotov. IFHE Russian skippers that would be good would be those speced for Budyonny, Schors, and Chapayev, ie. the ones without Superintendent.

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,770 battles

Thanks for the input guys. For now I will skip it. Once at 15pts I will see if I am struggling with T8 BB's and make the call but it sounds like boosting the AA or taking some Quality of Life skills from the lower tiers might be more useful.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,819 posts
11,704 battles
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Thanks for the input guys. For now I will skip it. Once at 15pts I will see if I am struggling with T8 BB's and make the call but it sounds like boosting the AA or taking some Quality of Life skills from the lower tiers might be more useful.

I have found that AFT is a far more useful skill than IFHE on Russian cruisers. I have also never found that CE is of much practical use, either.

For me, the single most useful skill for Russian and French cruisers (similar playstyles) is Incoming Fire Alert. Demo expert is good too, but I do find that Molotov has really comfy AP, so I often use HE secondary to AP. Ditto with Donskoi.

[AR]
Members
359 posts
14,812 battles

I use myy Dedicated Chapayev captain on the Molly. It has SE/CE/DE/IFHE. The 180mm base HE pen is actually 29mm, You wont be able to pen the few ships that have thicker plating then that. IFHE brings it up to 38mm and 14% fire chance since I had so many fire signals. Its only with this build + spotting aircraft mod 1, that this ship reaches its best potential.