Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

IFHE on 203s

12 comments in this topic

Members
842 posts
3,784 battles

I wonder, how useful is IFHE when using a 203mm gun cruiser?

I've seen most people saying it's not needed but some battleships whenever I'm shooting at them, the HE shell tends to break as it hits the deck instead of the superstructure.

How much pen will the HE have if I take IFHE on it?

My current DM captain has priority target, adrenaline rush, demolition expert, superintendent, and concealment expert. Should I dump demolition expert and save an extra point for IFHE, if it's worth?

[WOLF9]
Members
9,372 posts
4,243 battles

We talked about this last night.  It has very limited uses, specifically against ships with 50mm armor.  Stalingrad, Kronstadt, some BB superstructures, not sure of the whole list.  Maybe if you plan to see a WHOLE LOT of competitive T10s...

Ooops.  Wrong guns.  See below.

Edited by iDuckman

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,283 battles

No, you cannot pen 50mm with normal 203s and IFHE so it's not worth it.  203/6 = 33 pen so you pass 32, but IFHE 1.3*33.8 = 43mm pen which doesn't really pass any thresholds.

iDuckman is confusing ships because the reason Henri IV takes it is because they are 240s base so they can take IFHE to hit 50mm pen for those cases.  240/6=40*1.3= 52 mm pen.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,246 posts
12,042 battles
46 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

how useful is IFHE when using a 203mm gun cruiser?

WoWs Wiki table very useful information or @HazeGrayUnderway kept this under his desk all the time

[WOLF9]
Members
9,372 posts
4,243 battles
48 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

No, you cannot pen 50mm with normal 203s and IFHE so it's not worth it.  203/6 = 33 pen so you pass 32, but IFHE 1.3*33.8 = 43mm pen which doesn't really pass any thresholds.

iDuckman is confusing ships because the reason Henri IV takes it is because they are 240s base so they can take IFHE to hit 50mm pen for those cases.  240/6=40*1.3= 52 mm pen.

Ah!  Thanks.  My brain has martini holes in it.

Rilly ... want ... Henri IV ...

Edited by iDuckman

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,729 battles
29 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Ah!  Thanks.  My brain has martini holes in it.

Rilly ... want ... Henri IV ...

Well its something your name has duck in it lol. Quack quack

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,924 posts
9,077 battles
1 hour ago, TitanicMan2 said:

I've seen most people saying it's not needed but some battleships whenever I'm shooting at them, the HE shell tends to break as it hits the deck instead of the superstructure.

My current DM captain has priority target, adrenaline rush, demolition expert, superintendent, and concealment expert. Should I dump demolition expert and save an extra point for IFHE, if it's worth?

for the Germans, with their 1/4th HE, with IFHE you'd pen 65.975, probably rounded to 65mm or 66mm, normal 203s with 1/6th HE pen,with IFHE would have 43.983, probably rounded to 43mm or 44mm, i dont remember if WG rounds up

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,793 posts
3,975 battles

The only reason one would take IFHE on 203s is if you really hate USN BBs, as they're the only ones (off the top of my head) with certain armor elements that 203 IFHE would be able to pen (that regular 203 HE would not). Outside of that, it's mostly wasted.

I don't recall if 203 IFHE will let Furutaka and Aoba (and Pensa) citpen lower tier cruisers (esp. CLs) though.

Unrelated; IFHE on the T4-T7 RN BBs is sadistic.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

Actually, there is a 35~43mm threshold on quite a few BBs.

non-german 203mm with IFHE will do <44mm (≦43mm)

T8+

• Montana 38mm
  • Iowa\Misery 38mm
  • Roma 45mm

T4/5/6

• Nikolai 35mm
  • Orion 38mm
  • Oktober 38mm
  • Kongo 38mm
  • Giulio 43mm
  • Iron Duke 44mm
  • Warspite 38mm
  • Bayern 40mm
  • Fuso 35mm

So the only real reason to have IFHE on 203mm, is if you are Furutaka in T5 Ranked

• Cool 3

Members
720 posts
3,906 battles

Short answer, there aren't enough targets to justify the 4 points. At high tiers its pretty much just US BB deck armor.

• Cool 1

Members
1,042 posts
4,524 battles
19 hours ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Do not take IFHE on 203mm guns.  You do gain pen, but not enough to cross any notable thresholds, and will just be a waste of 4 points, and will hurt your fire chance.   

Sign in to follow this