Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Playbuoy

The US Lost 1 Warship in WWI. 100 Years Later, We Know What Caused the Sinking.

58 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

366
[NUWES]
Members
2,297 posts
7,295 battles
4 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

US navy lost more than one ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cyclops_(AC-4

 

 

Cyclops was not a warship. It was a collier. 

Interesting bit of trivia though: Cyclops was sister ship to USS Jupiter, which was converted into USS Langley which we see as our favorite USN T4 CV. :) 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,333
[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
1 minute ago, Tzarevitch said:

Cyclops was not a warship. It was a collier. 

Interesting bit of trivia though: Cyclops was sister ship to USS Jupiter, which was converted into USS Langley which we see as our favorite USN T4 CV. :) 

Wrong. Collier or not, Cyclops was a commissioned vessel of the US Navy with a Navy crew and armed with 4 4" guns. A fleet auxiliary, she was a man of war by any definition. Ask any Navy man.

  • Cool 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Wrong. Collier or not, Cyclops was a commissioned vessel of the US Navy with a Navy crew and armed with 4 4" guns. A fleet auxiliary, she was a man of war by any definition. Ask any Navy man.

Commissioned ship of the navy, still doesn't change the fact that it is not a warship. A Warship is equipped with weapons to partake in warfare at sea. It is an Auxiliary ship.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
366
[NUWES]
Members
2,297 posts
7,295 battles
1 minute ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Commissioned ship of the navy, still doesn't change the fact that it is not a warship. A Warship is equipped with weapons to partake in warfare at sea. It is an Auxiliary ship.

Exactly. You beat me to it. Cyclops was not a navy ship. It was under the old Naval Auxiliary Force which was separate from the navy. They were merchant ships manned by merchant crews even though some of them were armed. https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1928-07/old-naval-auxiliary-service

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
9 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Exactly. You beat me to it. Cyclops was not a navy ship. It was under the old Naval Auxiliary Force which was separate from the navy. They were merchant ships manned by merchant crews even though some of them were armed. https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1928-07/old-naval-auxiliary-service

No, they are still navy. Auxiliary Ships are under the full control of the US Navy Department, under the same regulations, but also extra regulations for being Auxiliary.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,333
[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
18 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Commissioned ship of the navy, still doesn't change the fact that it is not a warship. A Warship is equipped with weapons to partake in warfare at sea. It is an Auxiliary ship.

Look, as far as I can tell a 4" gun is a weapon, in this case for defensive combat, which qualifies as warfare.

You are obviously ignorant of actual US Navy affairs. Fleet auxiliaries are treated as men of war under Admiralty Law and for Freedom of Navigation treaty purposes.

You are wrong in every imaginable way, your personal definition of "warship" notwithstanding.

  • Cool 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
37 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Cyclops was not a warship. It was a collier. 

Interesting bit of trivia though: Cyclops was sister ship to USS Jupiter, which was converted into USS Langley which we see as our favorite USN T4 CV. :) 

You are wrong and So It Goes is correct.

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,069
[CRMSN]
Members
8,276 posts
8,747 battles
2 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Look, as far as I can tell a 4" gun is a weapon, in this case for defensive combat, which qualifies as warfare.

You are obviously ignorant of actual US Navy affairs. Fleet auxiliaries are treated as men of war under Admiralty Law and for Freedom of Navigation treaty purposes.

You are wrong in every imaginable way, your personal definition of "warship" notwithstanding.

Ah, no. I served in the USN, Cyclops was not considered a warship. Fleet Aux may be considered warships by some countries, but not by the USA. No ship with the "A" designation is considered a warship, they are simply commissioned vessels of the USN. I suppose you consider our movable drydocks warships, too?

 

Having a weapon doesn't make something a warship. Also "treated as" does not  mean "in reality." You're the one with a lack of understanding of USN "affairs."

  • Cool 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
6 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Look, as far as I can tell a 4" gun is a weapon, in this case for defensive combat, which qualifies as warfare.

You are obviously ignorant of actual US Navy affairs. Fleet auxiliaries are treated as men of war under Admiralty Law and for Freedom of Navigation treaty purposes.

You are wrong in every imaginable way, your personal definition of "warship" notwithstanding.

Personal definition of Warship? Check a damn dictionary. Auxiliary ships are not designed to partake in warfare, which is why they had ESCORTS!

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874
[INTEL]
Members
1,429 posts
11,775 battles

 Aux ships are not "combatants" regardless of being equipped with weapons for self-defense. If just being armed was the criteria then practically every supply ship running convoys across the ocean was a "warship."

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
561
[CVA16]
Members
3,379 posts
11,487 battles

Many merchantmen, and transports got weapons during WWI and II. Does not make them warships. Somewhat splitting hairs but I would therefore let the OPs original statement stand.

 

On a side note, I can't get the link to open when I click on it.

Edited by Sabot_100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
16 minutes ago, suleiman71 said:

 

 

Love how these morons believe some dumb website over an actual navy veteran. Can't expect better from this community, though.

The funny thing is, the website they are using, doesn't even call USS Cyclops a Warship.

Every Down vote in this thread, are by people who hate facts.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,319
[DETN8]
-Members-
6,954 posts
9,195 battles
2 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

The funny thing is, the website they are using, doesn't even call USS Cyclops a Warship.

Every Down vote in this thread, are by people who hate facts.

The community as a whole hates facts. Including OP, It_So_Goes, and CB_11 or whatever the hell his name was.

Both of my clanmates(Krim and Deadmeat) are veterans who would know better than any other single person in this thread. They are still being downvoted. sigh

Edited by suleiman71
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
2 minutes ago, suleiman71 said:

The community as a whole hates facts. Including OP, It_So_Goes, and CB_11 or whatever the hell his name was.

Both of my clanmates(Krim and Deadmeat) are veterans who would know better than any other single person in this thread. They are still being downvoted. sigh

OP hasn't said anything after his initial post on this topic. He's the one who titled the thread with the statement "US Lost 1 Warship in WWI." So until he comes in and says something against his own title, I think he is of the notion "Auxiliary ships are not warships." So I wouldn't say he hates facts (at least not in the case of this topic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,333
[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
4 minutes ago, suleiman71 said:

The community as a whole hates facts. Including OP, It_So_Goes, and CB_11 or whatever the hell his name was.

Both of my clanmates(Krim and Deadmeat) are veterans who would know better than any other single person in this thread. They are still being downvoted. sigh

FYI, I'm a retired mustang LDO. Now shove off.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×