You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CTMAADawson

Musashi or Salem?

48 comments in this topic

[SPV]
Members
244 posts
5,740 battles

So I have enough coal to either get the Salem(with a coupon) or the Musashi. I want the Salem for clan battles but I know the Musashi is going away by the end of the year and I'd rather not miss out on what I hear is a good BB. If the Salem isn't going anywhere I'm inclined to get the Musashi. Thoughts?

Edited by CTMAADawson

[-MM-]
Members
251 posts
17,350 battles

Salem

Musashi can be obtained with Free Exp, there is no reason to purchase it with coal as coal is a much more valuable resource.

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,738 battles

Depends on what you like playing. I got enough doubloons from crates so I converted FXP and got the kron and coal for musashi. Musashi also has a bit higher credit income if you dont have the missouri.

But if you dont like BBs then go for Salem.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,576 posts
9 minutes ago, CTMAADawson said:

So I have enough coal to either get the Salem(with a coupon) or the Musashi. I want the Salem for clan battles but I know the Musashi is going away by the end of the year and I'd rather not miss out on what I hear is a good BB. If the Salem isn't going anywhere I'm inclined to get the Musashi. Thoughts?

Musashi is good, but a boring play style in my experience.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

IMO, get Musashi now and Salem later. Musashi is going away and we dont know when or even if she will return. This might be your last chance to get her. 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,884 posts
6,590 battles
11 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Salem

Musashi can be obtained with Free Exp, there is no reason to purchase it with coal as coal is a much more valuable resource.

He's right you know.

• Boring 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,696 posts
23,702 battles
22 minutes ago, CTMAADawson said:

FXP Musashi and save coal on the off chance Alaska winds up being a coal ship. Just grind the Des Moines.

My .02

[DOG]
Members
631 posts
7,723 battles

I haven't played either one, but Salem doesn't look like it would play radically different from Des Moines.  So I'd go for Mushashi, because it seems a bit more unique.  I understand Yamato's secondaries get burned off pretty easily.  Musashi has twice the number of 6" guns, which seem like they'd  be in sturdier turrets.  I don't know if that translates into actual game play in WoWS though.

Edited by zubalkabir

[RLGN]
Members
10,652 posts
19,815 battles
25 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Salem

14 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

He's right you know.

Such is only applicable if one actually has said fxp.

I am continually surprised at how many comments I see that basically equate to not having much fxp.

No idea where it disappears to unless it’s being used to skip grinds.

(After three+ years and 200+ ships; currently sitting on 3.5mil fxp.)

[WOLF5]
Members
31 posts
3,289 battles

Musashi, since it is going away for sure, and there is no ETA when this ship will be back.

Salem on the other hand most likely will stay for a long period of time.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,884 posts
6,590 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Such is only applicable if one actually has said fxp.

I am continually surprised at how many comments I see that basically equate to not having much fxp.

No idea where it disappears to unless it’s being used to skip grinds.

(After three+ years and 200+ ships; currently sitting on 3.5mil fxp.)

You can earn like 20 k fxp in a battle with the right flags.

5k on a regular basis and average probably 2-3k.

Can't say the same about coal.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Don’t have Salem, but Musashi is really good. Mush is only slightly weaker than Yamato. However, Salem really is hurt by weaker radar and no spotter plane. I’d bet my bottom dollar Mush will far out earn Salem in credits and XP.

Edited by SavageTactical
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
535 posts
11,005 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

After three+ years and 200+ ships; currently sitting on 3.5mil fxp.)

Looks at the number of battles and wonders how he got so much free XP (sarcasm intended) :Smile_honoring:

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,652 posts
19,815 battles
7 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Looks at the number of battles and wonders how he got so much free XP (sarcasm intended) :Smile_honoring:

Did convert some; (nearly three years ago when I fxp’d to Des Moines like an idiot,) but wasn’t really paying attention after that and when Missouri came along, paying for it didn’t even require a second thought.

[SIDE]
Members
2,368 posts

I have mush, yam and Des Moines.

Mush=yam=\=Des Moines

comparing them is... difficult. 

I can say that the mush is one overpenning sonofamofo and it will drive you bonkers half the time. It pays well though and I seldom take Yam out anymore.

I can also say Des Moines/Salem is very different playstyle from any bb and just about any other t10 cruiser. Des Moines has superior radar and that is a keystone feature of us cruisers.

I’m not sure how badly the reduced range affects the Salem  playstyle nor am I sure that the improved heal compensates enough. It’s only coal though and my time is valuable so...

If I was totally ambivalent about the decision I guess I’d buy the ship from the line I was least likely to grind. In my case, looking back, I’d buy the Salem, grind the yam and purchase the perma-Camo for the yam.

Edited by thebigblue

[VOC]
Members
83 posts
64 battles

In your case I'd strongly advice neither. You are way too inexperienced for the high tier ships you're proposing. Though the "going away" argument for Musashi might have ground know that Yamato/ Musashi is one of the most extreme "hate it or love it" ships in this game. For me Yamato is by far the most absolute disappointment possible. Yes: me, not the ship. I know. Yama is my most shining port Queen in this game. In a somewhat less degree the same goes for Salem. It's a slightly different Des Moines. DM is also a "hate it or love it ship."

My advice is to hold on to your coal until you reached the t9/10 bracket in silver. If you're afraid to miss out on Musashi: take it now but park it until you've gained more experience. In my case missing Musashi is the same as missing an infection in my jaw. I bought JB for coal and so far I love the ship.

• Boring 2

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

I got the Musashi with coal (and a coupon) because I am absolutely dreadful in the Des Moines so why get a slightly gimped ship I’m terrible at playing ... yes it’s possible to worse in the Des Moines than any of my other ships!! Lol

The Musashi is a fun ship to play mostly. I’m not a huge fan of BB play but it’s very gratifying getting citadel hits on t10 BB’s and cruisers :cap_haloween:

[RKLES]
Members
9,028 posts
10,828 battles

Unless you can get the Musashi with Free XP or can convert the XP into Free XP for it inehich case you could get both ships. I would get the Musashi, since if you look at what happened to Missouri, there is no garrentee of being able to get a Musashi once Wargaming removes it.

I am in mad dash to try and be able to get Musashi before it is pulled. I either need 200k additional free XP or 80k more coal.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,756 posts
6,218 battles

Unless you can get it reasonably soon for free XP, I would suggest picking up the Musashi for coal. Both Salem and Musashi are excellent ships, though Salem has a much steeper learning curve. The real deciding factor is that Musashi will soon become one of the game’s white whales, while Salem isn’t going anywhere soon. Don’t make a choice that will deny you the chance to get one of these boats, get Musashi now and get Salem later. 

[KAPPA]
Members
1,016 posts
6,017 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

I’m not sure how badly the reduced range affects the Salem  playstyle nor am I sure that the improved heal compensates enough. It’s only coal though and my time is valuable so...

If I was totally ambivalent about the decision I guess I’d buy the ship from the line I was least likely to grind. In my case, looking back, I’d buy the Salem, grind the yam and purchase the perma-Camo for the yam.

Personally, I'd say that there is a hidden detail most overlook in her. Yes, her radar is worse, but her radar also shares a slot with hydro. It's this that differentiates her from Des Moines the most for me, as this means that you can say screw it and have both hydro and def AA. Sure, that isn't major right now, but when the CV rework is live, that def AA will be useful again, and the hydro and heal can help with pushing into smoke.

Another thing I noticed while looking over her stats is that her minimum dispersion seems massively lower, which would complement this shorter range playstyle.

For comparison, I'll show you what I mean.

Salem

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 142.0 m
85.8 + 3.6x
- Min H Dispersion 124 m
- Min V Dispersion 319 m

Des Moines

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 142.0 m
85.8 + 3.6x
- Min H Dispersion 146 m
- Min V Dispersion 537 m

[ABCD3]
Members
228 posts
6,340 battles

If correct the Musashi will be removed from both sides.

[SPV]
Members
244 posts
5,740 battles

Guess I'll get the Mush and park it until I have more experience with BBs and in T7-T8 battles. Then I'll have a boat to get my feet wet in T9.

Where did the "DM vs Salem" debate come from?