You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Don_Alvarez

What are the commander specializations

7 comments in this topic

[TURD]
Members
154 posts
2,045 battles

I noticed yesterday the commanders I picked up that came with the Black Friday premiums claim to be specialized for those particular ships.  I notice also commanders you pick up from the arsenal have ships specializations for tier 1 boats that augment some abilities. Is it the same thing? What do those specializations actually do, if anything?

[N-W-T]
Members
1,545 posts
6,386 battles

It's just the ship they're assigned to. If you buy a ship that comes with a commander, or win one in a SC, it will be assigned to that ship. Buying a captain in the arsenal assigns them to the T1 cruiser of his nationality. To move them to another ship, you have to retrain just like any other captain. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,424 posts
14,757 battles

Captains can be placed in command of any ship of their nation, but their talents only take effect on the ship they're "specialized" on (some exceptions apply).

Specialization for a Tier 1 ship, which is basically useless, is used as a placeholder. You need to assign and then specialize them for the ship you actually want to use them on, which will cost either doubloons, Commander Elite XP, or some number of games grinding without working commander skills.

[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles

You're confusing two different mechanics.

A commander is trained to a specific ship.  If he's on any other ship and hasn't been retrained, the effects of his skills are halved in some cases and outright cancelled in others.  Premium ships are not affected by these rule.  If you purchase a ship you'll get a commander specialized to that ship.  Generally if you get a bonus captain (often with 10 skill points) they'll be specialized to a tier 1 ship.

Unique commanders is a separate situation.  Each of them do have a few commander skills that, should you invest the points in them, perform slightly better.  You can read about unique commanders here:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

Although it hasn't been updated to show the Alex Ovechkins.  

[TURD]
Members
154 posts
2,045 battles
22 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You're confusing two different mechanics.

A commander is trained to a specific ship.  If he's on any other ship and hasn't been retrained, the effects of his skills are halved in some cases and outright cancelled in others.  Premium ships are not affected by these rule.  If you purchase a ship you'll get a commander specialized to that ship.  Generally if you get a bonus captain (often with 10 skill points) they'll be specialized to a tier 1 ship.

Unique commanders is a separate situation.  Each of them do have a few commander skills that, should you invest the points in them, perform slightly better.  You can read about unique commanders here:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

Although it hasn't been updated to show the Alex Ovechkins.  

So then its not really different from any other captain, the "specialization really just denotes what ship the came with. If I wanted to move him to another ship even though it says he has specialization on the Atago, Its not like I'm losing any perks if I want to transfer, just need to retrain him like any other captain?

Reasoning is the Atago came with a 6 point captain, I have a 10 I'd like to swap to it instead to take advantage of CE.

Edited by Don_Alvarez

[KNTI2]
Members
887 posts
6,290 battles

Moving a captain to a premium requires no retraining ever.

Moving a captain to a tech tree requires retraining.

Your 10 pt will drop in no problem to Atago. The Atago captain will only require retraining if moved to tech tree.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,253 posts
12,106 battles
7 minutes ago, Don_Alvarez said:

I have a 10 I'd like to swap to it instead to take advantage of CE.

Game mechanic

1- you can transfer capt of the same nation to any ships included premium ship

1a - if you transfer capt from tech tree ship to tech tree ship, example, capt specialization from t1 to a t8, you have to re train the capt.

1b - if you transfer capt from a tech tree ship to premium - you don't have to re train them. BUT, if you transfer the same capt from the premium ship back to another tech tree ship you HAVE TO RE TRAIN. example, the capt from t1 ship transfer to Atago, and transfer back to t1 no need to re train. transfer the capt to t2 or to a different ship then re train needed

2- Currently there is 1 capt that bi nation, the great8 capt that can be use between the Russian and USN ship, and of course, to take advantage, use between premium ships of the 2 nation