Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gunga_Dinner

My Soviet cruiser grind

13 comments in this topic

[CSALT]
Members
965 posts

Just ground my way up to the Moskva and thought I would keep track of how my battles went along the way.  I started at Tier I and started tracking the battles at Tier VI.  We upgraded clients from 7.10 to 7.11 along the way, which as we all know brought about changes to MM.  I have noted which stats are from 7.10 and which are 7.11.  This was my experience and is similar to the experiences I've had in other ships and grinding other tech tree lines. 

For what it is worth:

Tier VI - Budyonny (Ver 7.10)

Top Tier - 26%

Mid Tier - 14%

Bottom Tier - 60%

Tier VII - Shchors (Ver 7.10)

Top Tier - 50%

Mid Tier - 29%

Bottom Tier - 21%

Tier VII - Shchors (Ver 7.11)

Top Tier - 40%

Mid Tier - 50%

Bottom Tier - 10%

Tier VIII - Chapayev (Ver 7.11)

Top Tier - 39%

Mid Tier - 13%

Bottom Tier - 48%

Tier IX - Dmitri Donskoi (Ver 7.11)

Top Tier - 44%

Mid Tier - 54%

Bottom Tier - 2%

Tiers VI and VIII were difficult slogs being bottom tier in ~half my battles and Tiers VII and IX were much less aggravating.

I am at the beginning of my grind for the Unique Upgrade for the Moskva and don't know if I can face it.  On the upside, I did get my commander to 19 points during this adventure and the commander xp earned during the upgrade grind will all go to help another commander reach 19 points.

Have a great day and thank you for reading.

:cap_like:

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
Format fixes
  • Cool 2

[CSALT]
Members
965 posts

What did I learn from all this?

I suppose the first thing I learned was to stick to the odd number tiers if you don't want to spend half your battles as bottom tier.  Matchmaker is still brutal to tiers VI and VIII.

The second thing I learned is that I am still terrible in a cruiser.  I don't have the patience for it and am too aggressive.

Thridly, I learned that good teammates and team work is the most overpowered thing in this game.

My favorite ship of the line was probably the Shchors.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[FML]
Members
2,613 posts
12,346 battles

What are your thoughts on the Donskoi? So far, I’ve been doing badly in her - just keep getting nailed from afar. 

So far, my favourites of the line have been Kirov and Budyonny - it’s been a while since I’ve had them to enjoy...

Members
23,169 posts
5,841 battles
8 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

The second thing I learned is that I am still terrible in a cruiser.  I don't have the patience for it and am too aggressive.

That issue is a lot of what makes the other a problem for you, as far as cruisers go.

Blapped is blapped. I found that a T8 BB will blap a Chapayev just as quickly as a T10 BB.

[CSALT]
Members
965 posts
31 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

What are your thoughts on the Donskoi? So far, I’ve been doing badly in her - just keep getting nailed from afar. 

So far, my favourites of the line have been Kirov and Budyonny - it’s been a while since I’ve had them to enjoy...

Over all the Shchors was my favorite followed by the Chapayev.

As for the Donskoi, I had some great battles in it, but it felt very fragile.  I thought that the map and spawn position were everything for this ship having a good or bad battle.

I am at work and don't have all the numbers with me, but it was around 50 battles in each ship.  I'll look when I get home.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
fix spelling

[SFBG]
Members
1,602 posts
8,457 battles
16 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

i did that whole grind last year, and my favs were Budyonny and Donskoi...  The takeaway for me was that Donskoi should be played kiting away, (run up close, then run away) and Moskva should be played bow-on (creep up close slowly) ... 

Both catch fire too easy, though. 

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Tiers VI and VIII were difficult slogs being bottom tier in ~half my battles and Tiers VII and IX were much less aggravating.

That's pretty much my findings.......though a lot less formal than your exercise. When I am not working on anything specific I only really take out my tier 7 ships because they seem to get the best balance from MM. Tier 8 on the other hand is just horrible more often than not :(

[CSALT]
Members
965 posts
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Schors was amazing for me and that was before ifhe even existed.

I couldn't decide if IFHE or the Fire Starting captain skill was better.  IFHE obviously hit harder, but starting 15+ fires a battle really racked up the damage as well.  Shooting at DDs and in pitched battles, I wanted the IFHE.  Lobbing shells at cruisers and BBs, I wanted the fire starter skill.  I still don't know which I prefer overall.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
fix spelling

[WOLF3]
Members
20,342 posts
18,644 battles
5 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I couldn't decide if IFHE or the Fire Starting captain skill was better.  IFHE obviously hit harder, but starting 15+ fires a battle really racked up the damage as well.  Shooting at DDs and in pitched battles, I wanted the IFHE.  Lobbing shells at cruisers and BBs, I wanted the fire starter skill.  I still donr know which I prefer overall.

If I were to start the Schors grind anew, right now, ifhe all the way.  Fires no matter the chance, are all rng.  I have had conqueror, henri iv games with 2 or 3 fires.  But actual consistent damage with penetration?  That's not rng but your ability to hit.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
965 posts
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

That issue is a lot of what makes the other a problem for you, as far as cruisers go.

Blapped is blapped. I found that a T8 BB will blap a Chapayev just as quickly as a T10 BB.

Blapped is indeed blapped, but I would much rather have a Tier VIII BB shooting at my Chapayev then a Tier X BB.  For starters most Tier VIII BBs aren't as accurate as Tier X BBs nor is their grouping usually as tight.

Secondly, I have much more success damaging a Tier VIII BB than I do a Tier X BB with my Chapayev.  I really dislike not being able to fight back. 

The same is true of the Chapayev's AA.  It does well against Tier VIII planes, but even with an AA build it is overwhelemd by Tier X planes or that has been my experience.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,196 battles
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I couldn't decide if IFHE or the Fire Starting captain skill was better.  IFHE obviously hit harder, but starting 15+ fires a battle really racked up the damage as well.  Shooting at DDs and in pitched battles, I wanted the IFHE.  Lobbing shells at cruisers and BBs, I wanted the fire starter skill.  I still don't know which I prefer overall.

My opinion runs counter to general conventional wisdom , but starting fires isn’t that valuable. Stacking fires is most effective against BB, but I’d argue that killing the supporting DDs and CA/CLs are much more effective counters to BB with respect to winning games. Your damage numbers might not look as impressive, but you’d probably win more games if you are good at killing the BB’s support.

I find that the strength of Russian CL isn’t their fire starting ability but rather their long range radar; specific the chappy. The chappy is one of the few ships that can have its radar range be longer than your concealment range. Anytime you are spotted, you can instantly hit radar and make the DD regret spotting you. IMO This makes it a better DD hunter than a lot of CL that are balance around hunting DDs.

Thats a long winded way of saying IFHE > fire DE, but they are not mutually exclusive and it’s perfectly viable to have both.

Sign in to follow this