You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kami

Wildcard Wednesday

31 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,612 posts
757 battles

Hello Captains,

What ship when you enter game do you find to be the wildcard on the team? This could be a ship that maybe is maligned a little bit or doesn't have the greatest reputation.

This could also be certain maps like Two Brothers with the channel dash or North with the 9-10 line.

Maybe a Thunderstorm?

Anything that you feel is a wildcard?

Lets hear your thoughts!

Gneis.jpg

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles

Oceans map, Best wild card you can have. It should be the the best wild card map for all tiers including training

Edited by Navalpride33

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Oceans map, Best wild card you can have. It should be the the best wild card map for all tiers including training

BB Main?

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Any triple div of the same class of ship.

Especially:

Belfast

Stalingrad

or Fail Division:

Asashio

[NGAGE]
Members
3,368 posts
8,370 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

Especially:

Belfast

Stalingrad

or Fail Division:

Asashio

I'll take those over a triple bb div any day if they are on my team ;)

Members
1,042 posts
4,524 battles
6 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

They'll either throw and lose, or carry and win.  No middle ground.  

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

BB Main?

Nope, Not a BB main. I do feel Oceans map forces all classes to work as a fleet.  So by default

• DDs are the radars
  • Cruisers are the DPM
  • BBs are the long artillery.
  • No one can hide no where

IMO Oceans is the ultimate test for each individual class ship to work in a fleet oriented map like oceans.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,316 posts
11,424 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

No one can hide no where

That is a problem as some ships are balanced on the ability to hide. Open water and they die (i.e. US high tier CLs, IJN gunboat DDs), especially in a high radar environment. Yes - it is the most realistic naval warfare map (no commander is going to want to fight in areas where running aground is more dangerous than the enemy) but many of the in game ships weren't balanced to fight there. Your "ultimate test" renders some ships near useless or very sub-par from the start. Cruisers, in general, are at a disadvantage having to engage BBs without cover (except for those that bring smoke, but then there is radar...). A spotted Atlanta in open water is a dead ship. Huddling next to your BBs won't help. BBs will almost always target a cruiser over a BB. Squishy cruisers doubly so. Invariably the cruisers will be picked off leaving BBs and stealthy DDs. So if you get to pick which ships you bring to the map, it would be a good test. If not, it is a MM rigged screwfest for some ships.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,085 posts
8,357 battles

abruzzi, lightening, both great ships in the hands of players with an opportunist's imagination.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,252 posts
8,702 battles

October Revolution. An OR that pushes is going to lay a massive amount of hurt and probably lead the team(Go me!). One that tries to sit at range and pewpew is going to accomplish nothing at all.

Yes, I'm biased, I love OR, but I worry when I see one on my team that I ain't drivin'.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,612 posts
757 battles
55 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ahh the elusive Ocean map =).

51 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Do you think triple of one type of ship brings a lot of weaknesses to your team? What if it is 3 pushing Massachusetts?

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles
22 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

That is a problem as some ships are balanced on the ability to hide. Open water and they die (i.e. US high tier CLs, IJN gunboat DDs), especially in a high radar environment. Yes - it is the most realistic naval warfare map (no commander is going to want to fight in areas where running aground is more dangerous than the enemy) but many of the in game ships weren't balanced to fight there. Your "ultimate test" renders some ships near useless or very sub-par from the start. Cruisers, in general, are at a disadvantage having to engage BBs without cover (except for those that bring smoke, but then there is radar...). A spotted Atlanta in open water is a dead ship. Huddling next to your BBs won't help. BBs will almost always target a cruiser over a BB. Squishy cruisers doubly so. Invariably the cruisers will be picked off leaving BBs and stealthy DDs.

^ I disagree with your assessment on so many reasons. I dont see a problem, I see excuses and failures to adapt to the map.

22 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

If not, it is a MM rigged screwfest for some ships. 

The only ones who complain about MM are the ones who are

• obsessed with stats instead of enjoying the match.
  • Dev strike early in the match, not the other side of the situation of the person who delivered the Dev strike that sent him to port.

While we agree to disagree, MM in WOWS is better then other MM based on stats used by passed failed games. MM can match by skill however, in game MM can;t account for human failures in judgement. Even the best fail in that regard. I hope MM stays as is, they're more important issues needed attention. MM is not one of them.

GL/HF

Edited by Navalpride33

[NGAGE]
Members
3,368 posts
8,370 battles
1 minute ago, iKami said:

Do you think triple of one type of ship brings a lot of weaknesses to your team? What if it is 3 pushing Massachusetts?

In my experience, for every time you get a div of 3x of the same ship being useful there are significantly more when they are potatoes. Matchmaking monitor normally confirms this, with the exception of Musashi/Missouri who seem to be decently good chances of solid players.

On North I cringe because I've lost numerous games when the entire BB division ignores the signs...

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles
7 minutes ago, iKami said:

Kami this depends, 3 ATLS, 3 Richelieu's, 3 Yamaos is not the same as 3 Asashios... Each will  get my attention if I have to face them, with so much fire power  of a "three of a kind" Ships division. Someone will have it rough lol.   

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,867 posts
5,401 battles

Down in the low tiers I'd say the Yubari's a wildcard.  Not seen often either.  Personally I like the Yubari.  Did well in my stats with her to the point I retired it so I didn't ruin a perfect record, only ship I've done that with.  So when I find myself lower tier and a Yubari is on the friendly or enemy team?  I kind of pay special attention to them.  Some people play them amazingly well, others get unlucky and that one little mistake costs them.  But not knowing which way it'll go always makes for a wildcard game.  A Yubari in the right hands with DFAA at the low tiers can really put a crimp in the opposing teams plans.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,369 posts
14,850 battles

Carriers and destroyers. 

Well played they can decimate enemy team.

Poorly played, they put your team at a severe disadvantage. 

[WGA]
Administrator
1,612 posts
757 battles
26 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Kami this depends, 3 ATLS, 3 Richelieu's, 3 Yamaos is not the same as 3 Asashios... Each will  get my attention if I have to face them, with so much fire power  of a "three of a kind" Ships division. Someone will have it rough lol.   

This is true and it comes down to how those divisions divide or stay together to a cap. You have to remember if you bring a triple BB division you might be the teams BBs.. if you go to one cap.. the rest of the map is devoid of that BB threat =). 

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Oh yeah! I once faced a Division made up of 2 Helenas and one Boise. :cap_haloween: Those guys had it together and were devastating. Have any of y'all been focused on by 45 rapid fire 6 inch guns? :cap_fainting:

Edited by ReddNekk

[NGAGE]
Members
3,368 posts
8,370 battles
25 minutes ago, iKami said:

This is true and it comes down to how those divisions divide or stay together to a cap. You have to remember if you bring a triple BB division you might be the teams BBs.. if you go to one cap.. the rest of the map is devoid of that BB threat =). 

This is why most triple DD divisions really fail.

Beta Testers
1,594 posts
10,030 battles
1 hour ago, vonKaiser said:

Down in the low tiers I'd say the Yubari's a wildcard.  Not seen often either.  Personally I like the Yubari.  Did well in my stats with her to the point I retired it so I didn't ruin a perfect record, only ship I've done that with.  So when I find myself lower tier and a Yubari is on the friendly or enemy team?  I kind of pay special attention to them.  Some people play them amazingly well, others get unlucky and that one little mistake costs them.  But not knowing which way it'll go always makes for a wildcard game.  A Yubari in the right hands with DFAA at the low tiers can really put a crimp in the opposing teams plans.

I agree  - Yubari seems to either be a killing machine, or an easy target.   At teh same tier, Kuma seems to be the same.  A good Kuma (like me and mine, and yeah,  it's a club) can be devastating,  but a bad or newb Kuma, not so much.  Tier 4/5 cruisers are all like that, I think.

Leander can be a wild card, partly because AA spec can be really effective in CV games, but, go secondaries, and it's a DD killer that can light fires. 

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
3 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I agree  - Yubari seems to either be a killing machine, or an easy target.   At teh same tier, Kuma seems to be the same.  A good Kuma (like me and mine, and yeah,  it's a club) can be devastating,  but a bad or newb Kuma, not so much.  Tier 4/5 cruisers are all like that, I think.

Leander can be a wild card, partly because AA spec can be really effective in CV games, but, go secondaries, and it's a DD killer that can light fires. 

I have the yubari as a trainer/seal clubber and she is loads of fun when things go right

you'll either, get deleted in the first 3 minutes

or like i've had a lot of times, be one of the last people standing after killing the CV/countering it effectively and basically being the one that saved the game

Yubari is a true wild card as it can be a trump card or a detriment to a team

• Cool 1