Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UssIowaSailor

Campaigns for sale and what I would like to see from them

28 comments in this topic

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles

I understand that Wargaming has to make money to stay in business so I can understand why they would like to explore additional revenue streams. However I would not be in favor of a campaign were it is like the existing ones, do X and get your reward. I would like to see a true single player campaign like in the classic Star Wars game X-Wing vs Tie Fighter a 100% multiplayer game but they released The Balance of Power which was a single player campaign.

For the campaign I would like to see you start off as a junior officer stationed on a destroyer. You would have missions that you would have to complete in order to earn points, service ribbons, and medals and eventually promotions. You would get promoted to being a Captain of a cruiser and have a branching chain of missions to complete. You get promoted to Captain of a Battleship and eventually a Carrier. A well thought out single player campaign would be something I would love to see, have a well written story to support it. Star Wars the Old Republic did that with the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion. It was an MMO that offered a single player story that was fantastic. You could have normal mode which would be challenging for a single player and you could have hard mode where you could invite your friends to play with you for increased rewards. 

If campaigns were something like this I would have no issue with paying money for it. Expecting the player base to pay for a campaign exactly like the existing campaigns would be a very bad idea in my opinion. 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles

I want more. I want more campaigns like we have, I want new campaigns like you describe, I want more choices than I can make, I want more. Personally don't mind if they sell campaigns, see no harm in what is coming since you can either buy it or farm steel in plenty of free ways. If you don't want to buy it, play the free mission, clan wars, and ranked to earn it. BTW what you are suggested has been asked for many times in the past. I expect one day we will see something along those lines but not any time soon. 

Really see zero harm in what they are doing. I have seen Wargaming do plenty of stupid things since I have been playing and this one isn't on the "mistakes radar". I plan on supporting their decision with my money by buying the mission and don't think I will be alone in this. If selling campaigns/missions makes Wargaming successful and earns them money, good on them, want to see more. I want them to add paid campaigns/missions to the extensive lineup of activities available in the game. I see no need to complain unless the free content begins to suffer. Adding to what already exists seems logical and benign. 

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
4,275 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

I see no need to complain unless the free content begins to suffer. Adding to what already exists seems logical and benign. 

That's the key point right there.  WG has built up an expectation of providing a lot of free campaigns/missions.  If they move more towards charging for them, well, there will be a lot of disappointment.  It is a free to play game and they have to keep the players and get new coming in, and we know most players have the expectation to play for free (or mostly for free).  That said, I'm not against adding new content and WG charging for it. 

Beta Testers
458 posts
8,912 battles

Personally I'm not in favor of these paid campaigns. If i pay WG money i would prefer just to get the thing i want...be that a ship, premium time or even resources such as steel or coal.

While i like this game I'm not fond of crates or anything where i dont directly get the thing i put my money down for.

Campaigns are fine when free and when someone has the time to "grind" away at them.

I would be more than happy to pay directly for more things in this game..but im not the type to spend $100 to gamble on crates or grind out a mission that i paid for.

[NGAGE]
Members
374 posts
11,422 battles

I think selling a campaign is another dangerous proposition WG is entering into. We've been on this path for a long time though. Selling special captains was earlier this year, selling a tier 9 premium (JB, which was about six weeks ago) and now selling not only a campaign but one that gives Steel, which before 7.12 was the rarest resource in the game, and took dozens of hours of ranked (more than 200 games for most players) or dozens of hours that are also coordinated with at least six other people for clan battles. Ranked gives 5,500 steel, while CBs give 10K for those who get to typhoon and win 30 games. I'd think considering what the steel campaign gives, also comos and the $1 Christmas boxes, it will cost at least $50. 

The amount of steel players can get very easily is 7.12 is just silly. I own the Stalin and have 14K steel toward the Bourgogne, meaning over the past year I've spent dozens and dozens of hours grinding steel in CBs and ranked. I understand not everyone can spend that amount of time, or lack the skill, to earn steel in ranked and CBs, meaning it would take them years to earn just one steel ship. Still, I think 7.12 will allow players to "earn" about 20K steel in total, which is DOUBLE that of one CB season and quadruple that of one ranked season. 

I wouldn't have an issue if over the holidays players could "earn" a small amount of steel through various missions or campaigns, but around 20K is excessive and just disrespectful to veteran, skilled players that have spent hundreds of hours grinding steel since October 2017 in clan battles and ranked. 

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles

I think that paid campaigns is probably a very dodgy thing. However, given that the reward for this one is steel, I can't get too wound up about it.  Now, if they tried to have a paid campaign where you basically paid about what you'd pay for a premium ship and the reward of the campaign actually was a premium ship that you could have simply bought for that money, that seems like it'd be going over the line.

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,540 battles

I'd like to see Dasha as a captain for sale again, but in military uniform, so i can complete mah campaigns.

Please no $50 Dashas, unless she can command lightning bolts from the sky and such..

Thanks!

[TBW]
Members
7,714 posts
14,140 battles

Is it bad that I like this idea very much? As someone who has made the decision to eventually own all of the ships, this is a step in the right direction. I have tried to like Ranked battle every season, to no avail. Clan battles are not possible because I take care of my Granny, she turns 100 tomorrow. She needs me at a moments notice these days, I have been playing a lot of Co op and Operations to lessen the impact of my having to leave abruptly on my teams. The snowflake event and the steel mission are quite a blessing for me.

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles
9 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Paid campaigns? This is a troll...right? :Smile_amazed:

Instead of Campaigns, call it an expansion pack. I would like to see a more RTS element combined with Naval battles...think of Total War Rome but with ships as a single player experience. 

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles
2 hours ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

I think selling a campaign is another dangerous proposition WG is entering into. We've been on this path for a long time though. Selling special captains was earlier this year, selling a tier 9 premium (JB, which was about six weeks ago) and now selling not only a campaign but one that gives Steel, which before 7.12 was the rarest resource in the game, and took dozens of hours of ranked (more than 200 games for most players) or dozens of hours that are also coordinated with at least six other people for clan battles. Ranked gives 5,500 steel, while CBs give 10K for those who get to typhoon and win 30 games. I'd think considering what the steel campaign gives, also comos and the $1 Christmas boxes, it will cost at least $50. 

The amount of steel players can get very easily is 7.12 is just silly. I own the Stalin and have 14K steel toward the Bourgogne, meaning over the past year I've spent dozens and dozens of hours grinding steel in CBs and ranked. I understand not everyone can spend that amount of time, or lack the skill, to earn steel in ranked and CBs, meaning it would take them years to earn just one steel ship. Still, I think 7.12 will allow players to "earn" about 20K steel in total, which is DOUBLE that of one CB season and quadruple that of one ranked season. 

I wouldn't have an issue if over the holidays players could "earn" a small amount of steel through various missions or campaigns, but around 20K is excessive and just disrespectful to veteran, skilled players that have spent hundreds of hours grinding steel since October 2017 in clan battles and ranked. 

WG has kinda painted themselves into a corner with steel, and steel ships. On the one hand they have people like you that have done the grind to get steel through ranked and CW, on the other hand they have the vast majority of players that want a chance at the steel ships but don't have the time/skill/interest to grind. No matter what they do with steel one of those two groups will be upset, it appears they are more interested in appeasing the majority right now. 

If WG didn't give enough steel to let people get in the door at maybe buy one of the steel boats nobody would buy the campaign. It needs to reward enough that people feel like they are getting something worth their while for real cash. Nothing says that the competitive players can't buy the campaign and get even more steel either, so you can get Bourgogne earlier and with less grind. Don't worry nobody will forget you're special when you get the camo for it and Stalingrad for being top of the comp world. 

[NGAGE]
Members
374 posts
11,422 battles
50 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

WG has kinda painted themselves into a corner with steel, and steel ships. On the one hand they have people like you that have done the grind to get steel through ranked and CW, on the other hand they have the vast majority of players that want a chance at the steel ships but don't have the time/skill/interest to grind. No matter what they do with steel one of those two groups will be upset, it appears they are more interested in appeasing the majority right now. 

If WG didn't give enough steel to let people get in the door at maybe buy one of the steel boats nobody would buy the campaign. It needs to reward enough that people feel like they are getting something worth their while for real cash. Nothing says that the competitive players can't buy the campaign and get even more steel either, so you can get Bourgogne earlier and with less grind. Don't worry nobody will forget you're special when you get the camo for it and Stalingrad for being top of the comp world. 

I agree with what you're saying. Creating such premium ships only available to a small percentage of players would make everyone else upset. I just saw Steel ships as reward ships for competitive and thought people would understand that. 

Yes, the campaign must contain valuable stuff or people would not buy it. So it must give around 10,000 steel for relatively easy missions. 

[WOLF2]
Members
3,295 posts
14,884 battles
5 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

That's the key point right there.  WG has built up an expectation of providing a lot of free campaigns/missions.  If they move more towards charging for them, well, there will be a lot of disappointment.  It is a free to play game and they have to keep the players and get new coming in, and we know most players have the expectation to play for free (or mostly for free).  That said, I'm not against adding new content and WG charging for it. 

Also, they need to price this campaign reasonably and allow the majority of players access … 

It's not good to incite open class warfare … that's how the guillotine got invented :)

[NGAGE]
Members
374 posts
11,422 battles
9 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Also, they need to price this campaign reasonably and allow the majority of players access … 

It's not good to incite open class warfare … that's how the guillotine got invented :)

One Steel is worth about one doubloon. So if the campaign gives 5K steel, it would cost at least what 5K doubloons would cost. It also gives Christmas boxes, flags and camos. So it would cost even more. It will be $50 or more, book it. 

• Funny 1

[BUOY]
Members
359 posts
9,727 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

Honestly, they should have kept the flags system for steel ships (maybe unified since Ranked is grindier than CB) in that Ranked and Clan Battles players who get those flags can straight up trade them in for ships and new steel ships are kept flag exclusive (maybe at a discount or something such that you have to use at least 1 flag and then X steel) for a period of time (6-12 months) before they become purchasable with just steel.

It would allow the best and most diligent competitive PvP'ers to enjoy each shiny new steel ship to come out without worrying about events like this 'devaluing' their reward while also staying true to why WG moved from flags to steel in the first place (a move I generally agree with).

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
3 hours ago, awiggin said:

Paid campaigns? This is a troll...right? :Smile_amazed:

Nope.

One of the upcoming 0.7.12 campaigns has to be purchased -- Steel Monsters, IIRC.

WG is starting down a very bad path here.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,901 posts
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Nope.

One of the upcoming 0.7.12 campaigns has to be purchased -- Steel Monsters, IIRC.

WG is starting down a very bad path here.

I just can't see it....

If WG had actually invested in the game itself, rather than all the eye candy and detail, then maybe they could come up with campaigns worth playing. But they haven't shown the ability to provide that kind of content....:Smile_amazed:

Not a good sign though, either for the path they are taking, or the income the game is currently generating.

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,530 battles
6 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

how grindy do you think they will make the paid campaigns? would be kind of funny if they charged some super grindy one.

And gave a 14 day time limit.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles
7 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Well assuming everything stays as it is and paid campaigns are an addition, then there is nothing to worry about. I see zero point in assuming the Welfare Warriors are going to suffer when it is just as easy to think that the Wallet Warriors are going to be offered additional content. The funny thing about speculation is you can think almost anything. 

Personally I think many players just don't want to pay for new content and whine when they feel they are being left out. Wargaming is a company that needs to make money. Finding innovative ways to earn cash so they can make more content can be challenging and offering missions for sale in addition to the regular content seems a good idea to me. It seems pointless to believe that the FTP game will suffer one iota. 

• Cool 3

Members
2,121 posts
9,978 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well assuming everything stays as it is and paid campaigns are an addition, then there is nothing to worry about. I see zero point in assuming the Welfare Warriors are going to suffer when it is just as easy to think that the Wallet Warriors are going to be offered additional content. The funny thing about speculation is you can think almost anything. 

Personally I think many players just don't want to pay for new content and whine when they feel they are being left out. Wargaming is a company that needs to make money. Finding innovative ways to earn cash so they can make more content can be challenging and offering missions for sale in addition to the regular content seems a good idea to me. It seems pointless to believe that the FTP game will suffer one iota. 

It's not really innovative. Alot of these changes/additions to the game recently are common in the MMORPG realm. Lots of lootboxes, adding currencies (when an exisiting currency is devalued), and paid campaigns. 

That said I dont really have any opinion on this campaign until its live and I know all details. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
3,295 posts
14,884 battles
2 hours ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

One Steel is worth about one doubloon. So if the campaign gives 5K steel, it would cost at least what 5K doubloons would cost. It also gives Christmas boxes, flags and camos. So it would cost even more. It will be $50 or more, book it. 

Way too high and the campaign extras should be just that - "extras to make the thing worth getting" …

5k steel doesn't even buy half a dd in arsenal and 5k doubloons is usually on sale for much less in any case

$19.95 would be a good way to promote a new commodity and get people interested 

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF2]
Members
3,295 posts
14,884 battles
9 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

how grindy do you think they will make the paid campaigns? would be kind of funny if they charged some super grindy one.

I know right,

We're supposed to pay to AVOID the grind - now they have us paying FOR the grind … with a 14 day expiration???

Nice trick WG … you're really making us out for fools :)

Edited by Commander_367

Sign in to follow this