You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kizarvexis

Dev diary is out

157 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles

The Dev Diary has cleared up the Snowflake tiers.

Tech tree

T5-T8 Coal

T9 & T10 Steel

Premium ships

T2-T7 Coal

T8-T10 Steel

You have to WIN the battle to blow off the snowflake, so co-op would be the fastest way.

DO NOT start battle and jump back to port. You will go pink and orange and be locked to co-op very quick.

There was nothing on how much coal/steel each tier would give. We will probably have to wait until the patch notes on Dec 18th.

On going discussion.

• Cool 12

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles

Thanks as always.

The info you posted is kind of what I expected it to be. People were way too optimistic about what ships would get steel vs coal. Looks like I will get quite a bit of each w/ 140+ ships in port and all but like 2-3 that don't qualify but man that is a lot of games LOL. Wonder if I can run them all 1 after the other and do it in Co-op without a loss? I know it is "easy mode" and you "should win" but that is a lot of games in a row, even for Co-op, without a loss?

Hmmm...seems like a challenge of sorts. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles

Thought I heard it was 100 steel for the T9-T10 victories.

I'm glad the tech tree steel rewards went from T8+ to T9+, as it will save me a lot of play to get the steel for those ships.  Also, less commanders to move around in two tiers instead of three.

Alpha Tester
2,257 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There was nothing on how much coal/steel each tier would give. We will probably have to wait until the patch notes on Dec 18th.

Doubt the steel will be enough to buy any steel ship even with discount, unless you already have some steel from SCs.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts

Well, so much for getting a meaningful amount of Steel out of this. 

At least I managed to get the Boise from a crate, so I don't have to worry about getting Flint quite as much (needed a USN premium ship). 

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
10 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Doubt the steel will be enough to buy any steel ship even with discount, unless you already have some steel from SCs.

9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Well, so much for getting a meaningful amount of Steel out of this. 

At least I managed to get the Boise from a crate, so I don't have to worry about getting Flint quite as much (needed a USN premium ship). 

There will be steel in the other campaigns as well. I think it *might* be possible to get Flint with a coupon if you get all the steel available and have a lot of high tier ships. We will just have to see.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

Definitely need to run my Missouri more for credits after final exam tonight.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There will be steel in the other campaigns as well. I think it *might* be possible to get Flint with a coupon if you get all the steel available and have a lot of high tier ships. We will just have to see.

Unless they give a LOT of Steel per ship, it's not going to be enough.  With the coupon, it's still 8700 Steel needed.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

Personally I believe you will be able to grab a Flint if you buy the campaign that rewards steel. Regardless, this will drag quite a few players to Ranked to get the steel they need.

Edited by warheart1992

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Unless they give a LOT of Steel per ship, it's not going to be enough.  With the coupon, it's still 8700 Steel needed.

Two to three campaigns will give steel as well as snowflakes. So depending on how much it all is, as a WAG, I think that if you have enough ships, you might get enough steel for Flint. But that is a Wild Arsed Guess.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Personally I believe you will be able to grab a Flint if you buy the campaign that rewards steel. Regardless, this will drag quite a few players to Ranked to get the steel they need.

No way I'm buying that campaign, that's a bridge way too far and there's no way I'm encouraging it in the future.

If the tech-tree ships included tier 8, I might have a chance, as I pushed several lines to 8 during the Halsey campaign to speed that grind up.  At present, if I had the credits, I could add Iowa, Seattle, Neptune (BLAH), and without checking I think one other ship at tier 9, to go with Hindenberg, Des Moines, Buffalo, Big Freddy, and a few others at 9, 10, or premium 8. 

• Cool 2

[ADR]
Members
44 posts
360 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

No way I'm buying that campaign, that's a bridge way too far and there's no way I'm encouraging it in the future.

Why, tho? It's just another currency that gets monetized. WG was very generous when it comes to fxp boosts, so making a lot of money from fxp ships is not really an option anymore.

Yes, there's the tiny problem that all steel ships are overperforming, regardless of player. But handing them out to the masses will give WG the data needed (kappa) to balance them.

Alaska will be a coal ship, btw :Smile-_tongue:

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I agree, I don't like it much either. But if it's a good value without much cost, I can see someone choosing this with the guaranteed rewards on completion instead of RNG based lootboxes.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

But if it's a good value without much cost

I want to see what the requirements are before I put money down for something like that. With various real-life things crowding me, PEF and Dreadnought together are going to tax me to the limit.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
1 minute ago, aboomination said:

Why, tho? It's just another currency that gets monetized. WG was very generous when it comes to fxp boosts, so making a lot of money from fxp ships is not really an option anymore.

Yes, there's the tiny problem that all steel ships are overperforming, regardless of player. But handing them out to the masses will give WG the data needed (kappa) to balance them.

It's not about the Steel, it's about Wargaming starting to sell campaigns for money -- not something any of us should encourage. 

• Cool 5

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles
39 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks as always.

The info you posted is kind of what I expected it to be. People were way too optimistic about what ships would get steel vs coal. Looks like I will get quite a bit of each w/ 140+ ships in port and all but like 2-3 that don't qualify but man that is a lot of games LOL. Wonder if I can run them all 1 after the other and do it in Co-op without a loss? I know it is "easy mode" and you "should win" but that is a lot of games in a row, even for Co-op, without a loss?

Hmmm...seems like a challenge of sorts. :Smile_veryhappy:

I have found those coop games where there are only three live players on your team and the rest are bots, those games are very challenging because your bot teammates are suicidal and get eliminated very quickly leaving you outnumbered pretty quickly.

[ADR]
Members
44 posts
360 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

not something any of us should encourage. 

I can't see why, tho. This is basically p2progress, just like premium time.

Top clans will get other fluff to show off, no worries. And active CB players will still progress way faster. I just don't wanna see matches full of Flints, tho. But that's a different topic.

Edited by aboomination

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
1 minute ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I have found those coop games where there are only three live players on your team and the rest are bots, those games are very challenging because your bot teammates are suicidal and get eliminated very quickly leaving you outnumbered pretty quickly.

Yup. Been down vs 6 alone before. That is not easy mode LOL.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I want to see what the requirements are before I put money down for something like that. With various real-life things crowding me, PEF and Dreadnought together are going to tax me to the limit.

This is basically pay to grind, so there are two possibilities the way I see it. First case, the entry cost is low because the missions are very grindy. You won't be able to get past the first stages unless you grind alot. The reward however should be quite good. Second case, the entry cost is higher, but to balance that you can do the campaign without much trouble simultaneously with the rest of the events.

Hopefully we will know by Wednesday.

Members
1,528 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yup. Been down vs 6 alone before. That is not easy mode LOL.

I was playing real late one night and there were just two of us on the team.....I swear my bot teammates just put the throttle to full and abandoned ship. They just drove straight, didn't attempt to avoid shots or torpedoes. It was 7v2 inside of three minutes. So yeah we lost lol.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
5 minutes ago, aboomination said:

I can't see why, tho. This is basically p2progress, just like premium time.

Top clans will get other fluff to show off, no worries. And active CB players will still progress way faster. I just don't wanna see matches full of Flints, tho. But that's a different topic.

OK, so, a year from now, when over half the campaigns and missions are behind a paywall, remember this conversation. 

If this works once, they're going to do it again and again, more and more.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 4

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,140 battles
13 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Did I overlook a part in the vid where they said Alaska will definitely be coal?

• Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
44 posts
360 battles

There's a ton of free stuff in WoWS. I just created a new NA account and it's so much more generous than WoT for example.

At this point I'm not worried. Re-evaluating ingame currencies is a pretty normal thing in f2p games and no reason for panic.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,527 posts
3,601 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

OK, so, a year from now, when over half the campaigns are behind a paywall, remember this conversation. 

This is truth.   Played another Russian owned Game ( armored warfare - my.com )  for a while and they started this crap..  It escalates quickly and sooner or later the regular grind campaigns become more impossible and the P2P stuff escalates badly.    Troubling sign IMO.