You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Running a fresh test on the WGC

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,740 posts
3,850 battles

I am installing the WGC on the same computer that had problem before with the WGC beta. The install I had no issues. I am going to let the update for for a bit and then test the matches and see if I get leg spikes like before. Running on Windows 10. 

[VOP]
Members
400 posts
7,637 battles
53 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I am installing the WGC on the same computer that had problem before with the WGC beta. The install I had no issues. I am going to let the update for for a bit and then test the matches and see if I get leg spikes like before. Running on Windows 10. 

Did this particular download allow you to pick the install location of the game or did it force you to use C:\programData like in the past downloads? 

TIA

[_-_]
Members
2,090 posts
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

Running on Windows 10. 

Just curious, since I've been building gaming PC's for almost 20 years: is your computer intended as a dedicated gaming machine or a general-use system that also runs games?

The reason I ask is that Windows 10 isn't really a great gaming OS, with unnecessary system overhead and constant coms interrupts (tracking and marketing "features" masquerading as "user experience feedback"), and so on.*

Personally, on my dedicated game box, I still use Win 7 Professional, stripped down and optimized by selectively uninstalling OEM apps, "feedback" updates** and disabling unwanted chatty feedback "features" from various OEM hardware (like Asus, Intel, Nvidia, Creative Labs) via the Services settings. Manually running driver update checks every few weeks ensures performance without all the privacy-invading, resource-hogging crappola. As long as Win 7 still runs the high-end hardware and games I like, I'm sticking with it. Intel, Asus, AMD, Nvidia, and Radeon all currently support Win 7 just fine.

It's a lot of geeky work, like keeping a set of six-pack carburetors performance-tuned on an old muscle car. But it does pay dividends in game performance and enhanced privacy.

*In Windows 10, most of the privacy and performance "User Settings" check boxes do absolutely nothing but lull users into complacency. Check your network logs if you don't believe me. Win 10 is probably the second-worst OS for user customization after Apple OS X.

** There are tested, ready-to-run Command Prompt scripts out there you just paste into the box to simplify the job.

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles
2 hours ago, USMCGal said:

Did this particular download allow you to pick the install location of the game or did it force you to use C:\programData like in the past downloads? 

TIA

You can pick where you want it to go and even choose entirely different hard drives for different instances of the game if you so desire.

[WOLFG]
Members
5,227 posts
3,049 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Just curious, since I've been building gaming PC's for almost 20 years: is your computer intended as a dedicated gaming machine or a general-use system that also runs games?

The reason I ask is that Windows 10 isn't really a great gaming OS, with unnecessary system overhead and constant coms interrupts (tracking and marketing "features" masquerading as "user experience feedback"), and so on.*

Personally, on my dedicated game box, I still use Win 7 Professional, stripped down and optimized by selectively uninstalling OEM apps, "feedback" updates** and disabling unwanted chatty feedback "features" from various OEM hardware (like Asus, Intel, Nvidia, Creative Labs) via the Services settings. Manually running driver update checks every few weeks ensures performance without all the privacy-invading, resource-hogging crappola. As long as Win 7 still runs the high-end hardware and games I like, I'm sticking with it. Intel, Asus, AMD, Nvidia, and Radeon all currently support Win 7 just fine.

It's a lot of geeky work, like keeping a set of six-pack carburetors performance-tuned on an old muscle car. But it does pay dividends in game performance and enhanced privacy.

*In Windows 10, most of the privacy and performance "User Settings" check boxes do absolutely nothing but lull users into complacency. Check your network logs if you don't believe me. Win 10 is probably the second-worst OS for user customization after Apple OS X.

** There are tested, ready-to-run Command Prompt scripts out there you just paste into the box to simplify the job.

Been my experience as well.  Windows 10 does what Windows 10 wants, when Windows 10 wants to do it.

And if Office is installed?  Only gets worse.

[SBS]
Members
4,168 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, FirestormMk3 said:

You can pick where you want it to go and even choose entirely different hard drives for different instances of the game if you so desire.

It seems not all versions of WGC allow you to choose the install location.  There seem to be at least two versions, one allows you to choose, and the other one doesn't.  I don't know if that has changed or not.

[VOP]
Members
400 posts
7,637 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

It seems not all versions of WGC allow you to choose the install location.  There seem to be at least two versions, one allows you to choose, and the other one doesn't.  I don't know if that has changed or not.

I was wondering if that issue had been resolved as well.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
645 posts
4,814 battles
3 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Just use it to update and then run WoWS directly from the exe.

^^^THIS^^^.  Absolutely not required to use WGC as a game launcher. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,011 posts
3 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I'll never use Windows 10, it's a dumpster fire for privacy, security, and just plain old basic "I own this computer, you don't get to tell me what to do with it".

I've been using nothing but custom-built machines with none of the vendor nagware installed for a very long time.  One machine at home has had the same Windows 7 Pro install for almost 10 years and is still running solid as a rock.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[SBS]
Members
4,168 posts
2,408 battles
8 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I've been using nothing but custom-built machines with none of the vendor nagware installed for a very long time.  One machine at home has had the same Windows 7 Pro install for almost 10 years and is still running solid as a rock.

I've only got win 7 on my machines as well.  Too bad those days are numbered.  Someday, sooner rather than later, we're going to forced into the fold, or out of it.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,011 posts
46 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I've only got win 7 on my machines as well.  Too bad those days are numbered.  Someday, sooner rather than later, we're going to forced into the fold, or out of it.

If I have to go 10 for some things, there are ways to keep it under control and gut a lot of the onerous garbage.  I'll end up dual-booting or running two machines, and use one of the non-Windows, non-Apple OSes for everything that's not specifically gaming. 

Or just give up on gaming entirely, given where most of the industry is headed (see, Steam/Origin/WGC, always-online, microtransactions, etc).

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[-BRS-]
Members
464 posts
9,151 battles
6 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Just use it to update and then run WoWS directly from the exe.

^ This!

[_-_]
Members
2,090 posts
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

That'll be the day I bone up on running a sandboxed Win 7 VM instance on Linux. I'm fortunate because, being retired, I am not shackled to any 10-only work apps.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

3 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

That'll be the day I bone up on running a sandboxed Win 7 VM instance on Linux. I'm fortunate because, being retired, I am not shackled to any 10-only work apps.

I suspect that at some point the game clients that do internet communication will refuse to run on Win 7, after the EOL date on Win 7/Server 2008, just to shield themselves from possible breaches or accusations of same from using known End-of-Life OSes.

Also, it's not like the WoWS client is exactly hard on a computer to run.

[_-_]
Members
2,090 posts
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

I suspect that at some point the game clients that do internet communication will refuse to run on Win 7, after the EOL date on Win 7/Server 2008, just to shield themselves from possible breaches or accusations of same from using known End-of-Life OSes.

Also, it's not like the WoWS client is exactly hard on a computer to run.

True, but did you know that several major banks still run OS/2 Warp (I'm not kidding) on their ATM machines? That the entire Royal Navy, including the new Queen Elizabeth CV, run Windows XP? Lots of companies get post-EOL support.

For a confessed PC Master Race fanatic like me, good enough just isn't good enough, especially when the alternative is a spyware-laden train wreck like Win 10. Should it become necessary, there are enough good stand-alone single-player FPS/Arcade Shooter titles out there to keep me happy till the big dirt nap.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
4 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

True, but did you know that several major banks still run OS/2 Warp (I'm not kidding) on their ATM machines?

I do know about that.  I do IT for a bank, which is why I can't play games all day...

[WOLF9]
Members
9,370 posts
4,243 battles
5 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

True, but did you know that several major banks still run OS/2 Warp (I'm not kidding) on their ATM machines?

The OS/2 kernel is rock solid -- considerably more secure than NT.  (The Workplace Shell is another story, but still better than the first few generations of Windows.)  Doesn't surprise me at all.  IBM really screwed the pooch when they decided not to market it.

[_-_]
Members
2,090 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

The OS/2 kernel is rock solid -- considerably more secure than NT.  (The Workplace Shell is another story, but still better than the first few generations of Windows.)  Doesn't surprise me at all.  IBM really screwed the pooch when they decided not to market it.

I'm right there with ya. IBM did sell it as "eComm Station" for awhile. I hear there's some new outfit (Arcos? maybe?) that is peddling an updated version but it's still just 32-bit.

Beta Testers
1,740 posts
3,850 battles

Game runs well at the same level as before the WGC so that annoying bug that affected FPS is gone. Resource hogging is not occurring as much as before. New WGC is vastly improved over the beta version. @Radar_X This is a great launcher and I am on board with it now. Running Windows 10 and it still works great keep up the great work.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,605 posts

I have an AMD Phenom II system that I built ten years ago and it's running Windows 10 with no problems. I didn't even build a top-end system back then, but to the "sweet spot" of price versus performance. My retail version of XP over the years was upgraded to Vista, 7,  8.x, and now to 10 for a total cost of about 40 bucks. The the only upgrades to the computer system were a SSD (highly recommended) and a new case. Oh, and I added a $20 sound card when a sound module on the motherboard got fried from a static discharge. I made the wise decision of going with an overpowered 850-watt Seasonic-made Gold-certified PSU. The RAM is lifetime Crucial/Micron standard sticks, which were exceedingly inexpensive. I have 8 GB RAM. It's only 1333 RAM but it runs OK. I'm on a 5 Mbps ADSL line and have no problems running WOWS. You don't need a top-end system to run this game.

If you are having system overhead issues in Windows 10 then turn off the visual "bells and whistles" in performance settings. Also, turn off the live tiles.  

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles

I had an update to a PTS load cause a disconnect in a game not too long ago.  It didn't stay paused when I when to the live server to get a few tasks completed.

After that, I don't allow automatic updates and I don't start anything unless I have time to just let it run.

Finally, the way you get into the Live client means that any disconnect you get will cost more time than launching the EXE directly.  This is the most significant bug left in WGC.  If they fix that, I will have no complaints.