You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vorlonagent

What currency(s) for Alaska?

52 comments in this topic

Members
101 posts
3,309 battles

I would like to know which currency or currencies (USD, Gold, Free XP, Coal, Steel) that will buy a USS Alaska when it goes on sale.  Not the price, just which currencies will buy one.  Can we get an official answer just on that?

• Funny 2

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

Unknown at this time. If I had to guess, it's going to be FXP. Otherwise there's going to be a sh*tstorm of epic proportions on the forums (think Alabama incident).

• Cool 2

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,283 battles

It will be for sale for only 18 Alaskabamagradiums which are obtained only through secret loot crates which you can buy for $18.89/ea once you complete the Steelydebnum campaign which can only be unlocked by fusing three oricalchums with 9 molybdenums.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 14

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,447 posts
5,719 battles
6 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

It will be for sale for only 18 Alaskabamagradiums which are obtained only through secret loot crates which you can buy for $18.89/ea once you complete the Steelydebnum campaign which can only be unlocked by fusing three oricalchums with 9 molybdenums.

Very funny, indeed!

There is a little voice in my head that is saying "He could be serious, it could happen."

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,670 posts
20,668 battles
48 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Very funny, indeed!

There is a little voice in my head that is saying "He could be serious, it could happen."

Yeah it is a great post, I just fear that someone from Wargaming has read it and said to themselves "Great idea! Lets do it."......

[HINON]
Supertester
20,912 posts
14,539 battles
55 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

it was datamined to be 1million free xp expect a release around new year's if it doesn't come to this Christmas.

That's a placeholder value and currency. I wouldn't assume that to be final.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,740 posts
3,850 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

That's a placeholder value and currency. I wouldn't assume that to be final.

If your still testing could you pass on to release Alaska currency price to the public in a devblog post?

[WOLF2]
Members
3,278 posts
14,884 battles
6 hours ago, vorlonagent said:

I would like to know which currency or currencies (USD, Gold, Free XP, Coal, Steel) that will buy a USS Alaska when it goes on sale.  Not the price, just which currencies will buy one.  Can we get an official answer just on that?

Nobody knows - not even WG … and what they do know they certainly aren't telling us :)

At this point, I'm guessing they hold onto it for Xmas ship pool 2019 to sell more crates?

6 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

You'll most likely be told in advance whenever it's announced

In other words  "they will tell you when they tell you … probably before not after" :)

Edited by Commander_367

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,106 battles
5 hours ago, FlakKnight said:

4 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Very funny, indeed!

The terrifying part is...at this point I think that might be a simpler route than what we've waited through thus far..

• Funny 1

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,106 battles
13 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Now we need the clip from "The Spy Who Shagged Me" I think it was, where they informed him one million dollars wasn't much anymore...would be fairly fitting compared to the attitude towards currencies we're seeing now.

Members
521 posts

My guess is Free XP and Coal. I'm a hard pass on it anyways. Maybe if It's coal, because I am sitting on almost 330k and have nothing to buy with it. But, the Kron appears to be a straight up better ship in that battlecruiser niche and I already have that. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,379 posts
7,334 battles
9 minutes ago, Purg473 said:

Now we need the clip from "The Spy Who Shagged Me" I think it was, where they informed him one million dollars wasn't much anymore...would be fairly fitting compared to the attitude towards currencies we're seeing now.

Or saying "One hundred million Alaskabamagradiums!"

[FOG]
Members
518 posts
5,753 battles

When we see these delays in announcing the currency for acquiring any specific ship the typical answer is that WG is using this as a marketing ploy to generate greater interest etc., etc. Now, that well may be true. However, I also start to wonder though if they really do not know or if they are struggling with figuring out the optimum currency. I would suggest if it is that close a call then it does not matter and perhaps they should just release it in both (or multiple equally good) currencies. I am also though wondering if they are debating offering another Tier IX ships for cash and frankly I would not be surprised to see that this is the case.

[FOG]
Members
518 posts
5,753 battles
50 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

But, the Kron appears to be a straight up better ship in that battlecruiser niche and I already have that.

Could you please elaborate on why you feel this way? It would be great to get your perspective.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,284 posts
8,726 battles
1 hour ago, Purg473 said:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles

Everyone assumed Jean Bart would be 750K FXP as all T9 Premiums had been sold for that: UNTIL it wasn't. It was sold for real money (something WG had never done with a T9 Premium and I believe said they wouldn't) or for Coal at a HUGE increase in price over existing T9 Premiums sold for Coal.

The 1 Million FXP "could be" what it ends up going for but no one outside of WG knows and they aren't telling us (if they have even decided). But as Lert says above, that data mined info is just a placeholder at this time. Alaska could be sold for real money, FXP (750K? 1 Million? More?), Coal, OR (and wait for it) it could also be sold for Steel. Could also be sold for a combo of real money and in game resources as well.

While I think selling it for Steel would be a monumental mistake on their part I can see it happening. They know how much at least the players (many - not all - many) on the NA server want the ship. They put Steel and Steel only ships in as incentive to drive more players into Ranked and Clan Battles. If we are honest about it we have to admit a large portion of the player base doesn't like and/or play those modes so they are trying to do stuff that brings more players into them. That was the purpose of Steel and Steel ships = bribe entice players into Ranked and Clan Battles via special rewards. What better way than to make a ship so many want Steel only so they have to go play those mods to get it. 

Is that a good idea in theory? Maybe. It has merit in a discussion on ways to increase player participation in those modes anyway. Would that be a good idea in practice though? Heck no. WG will see player protests of epic proportions if they do that. Do I think WG would do it anyway even if they know it will seriously anger a good sized chunk of the players? Yup in a split second. Especially since the players have wound themselves up into such a frenzy of anticipation wanting it. They may see all the sharks circling and waiting for this ship that try to seize on an opportunity to raise player participation in those modes and/or cash in with real money by selling it too.

So until they officially announce the when and what for's AND they actually happen (remember all WG announcements are subject to change) I will just sit back and wait to see. Nothing would surprise me with how they eventually release Alaska. Not if it is another 750K FXP ship and not if they try and sell it for $200 USD and/or 50,000 Steel.

If it is 750K FXP, or even 1 Million FXP, I will probably get it the day it comes out as I have that on hand now. If it is Coal I will have to decide do I want it or Jean Bart as I only have enough for one right now (and a good start on the other but will still take a long time - waiting for the coupon to reset before buying anyway to save some Coal)? If it comes out as Steel I will pass. No choice as I don't play those modes and won't. Unless I can get enough through events and such I will never get a "Steel Alaska". If it is real money the price would dictate me buying it or not. Anything over $75 (and that better include more than just the ship) and nope.

Time will tell...

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles
1 hour ago, DJC_499 said:

Could you please elaborate on why you feel this way? It would be great to get your perspective.

I would like to hear that explanation as well (seriously). I own Kronshtadt and if I look at how it performs for me and watch the Alaska WIP videos and compare the 2 (not how I do vs how a tester does but  rather gun accuracy and such - how it works in general) Alaska "looks like" it will be a much better ship than Kronshtadt. The guns are actually accurate, it has better concealment, and it has a citadel you can't pen by sneezing at the screen. Alaska also has the improved US AP angles.

I would have to play Alaska to confirm my belief but I think Alaska will be vastly superior to Kronshtadt. And to be clear I am not one of these Alaska  give it to me now folks. To me it is just another ship being added to the game.