You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
vorlonagent

Slow-Boat Destroyers in the mid-tiers

15 comments in this topic

Members
101 posts
3,309 battles

Tiers 6,7,8, I'm noticing more and more destroyers that take their time moving out, running at 1/2  speed at best.  They don't seem interested in scouting for their team.

It's really hard not to be judgmental about this because it cripples the usefulness of the larger ships behind them.  So I'll just ask "why"?  What's going on that DD's feel this is good tactics?

[SALVO]
Members
20,944 posts
21,052 battles

Sometimes they just want to see what direction the heavies intend to commit to before they head out at full speed.  No DD player wants to head to a cap when the ships behind him decide to not follow him and support him.

Members
837 posts
5,008 battles

When I'm playing in a DD, sometimes I'll deliberately drive slowly so I can see where friendly ships (including other destroyers) are heading off to, I'll wait to see which caps the enemy DDs are taking, or see where the radar cruisers are going. I'll try to spot and take caps where and when I'm confident I won't be radared and insta-killed.

[LOU1]
Members
3,658 posts
9,868 battles

It might be a factor of how many radar ships are on the opposing team.  There is also a point of view that says to let the enemy DD commit to a cap and then nail them.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[USCC2]
Members
4,774 posts

I've had one state he was sick of going forward and not getting support.

You get all levels of skill in any game but mistakes are not very forgiving if done in a DD; maybe they made the mistake of going forward and not recognising they had no support on minimap - then got killed. So feeling a little peeved have decided they aren't committing until their team does.

Not great, but as I state, if the play is less forgiving then some will be more cautious. :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

Members
111 posts
6,054 battles

On a related note have any of you noticed how many suspiciously AFK-for-a-bit destroyers there have been lately?  You know, the ones that don't start up until 30 seconds into the match.

I cant help but think that some of them are pretending to start late just so they don't get yelled at for not capping.

• Cool 1

Members
980 posts

Solo straight into a cap on a DD is not a winning bet in Randoms. Depends on map but ideal is to spot enemy DD but be protected from enemy fire since the entire enemy fleet will now likely see only your DD.  

DD captains seem to follow trends. If they see other DDs do something they do it.   Chat showing “I need Intelligence “ from CAs was getting DDs to stop or turn for awhile. Side entry, smoke and run, sit in smoke, bait/setup friendly ships,   Yes it has been done. 

The funniest trend IMHO was setting a narrow smoke cloud in front of advancing Friendly CAs and BBs. The friendlies thought “Great Smoke” and went into it. The enemy thought a DD is hiding in the smoke and sent every torp they had plus a lot of rounds.  Hilarious as the sound of torp hits rang out.

Some DD Captains hate the friendlies more than the enemy.. Complaints in Chat or Forum only fuel friendly hate.  

[4HIM]
Members
2,379 posts
7,352 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

On a related note have any of you noticed how many suspiciously AFK-for-a-bit destroyers there have been lately?  You know, the ones that don't start up until 30 seconds into the match.

Noticed a LOT of this.  I've started in a cruiser and been in the cap before some of them start moving.  

As far as those that move up slowly, agree they're waiting to see where the friendlies will commit.  Or perhaps just waiting until torps load.  Someone grinding up finds longer load times once they get past the lower tiers with their 30-ish second loadings.  

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

I cant help but think that some of them are pretending to start late just so they don't get yelled at for not capping.

I have noticed this also...and when they eventually start to move, they are late getting to caps or don't go at all. I assume they are not team players and don't support them in cruisers. I think it's very important for DD's to get moving asap, even at half speed, so that I know they are aware. Usually if I pop right behind them in a cruiser, they get the hint that at least one cruiser is supporting them, and they increase speed.

Edited by _Rumple_

[ARMDA]
Members
580 posts
3,054 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

That's because my matches take 30 extra seconds to load.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Some times i wait a little to see the ships that are coming to the side of the map, or to wait my team clear a island and get into position to support me. Just straight rush a cap i was often get DDs killed, or really low.

[CVA16]
Members
3,320 posts
11,442 battles

Part of the problem is if a DD blasts out at full speed at the start, all of the support will likely be too far behind to be any actual support. Cruisers and BBs started doing the half-speed starts a while ago so they get to be safely in the back when the spotting starts. They want to adjust their play to what is seen. Which is great, for them. DDs realized they were getting too far ahead of any support to scout or cap. You were pretty much on your own vs an enemy DD and his friends that followed more closely behind him when you were spotted.

You also do have to wait to see where everyone else is going since many teams won't state a plan or won't stick to any plan stated.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
717 posts
8,084 battles

Driving a DD successfully is for type A personalities. You need to be aggressive in a cold calculating way. What's an acceptable risk vs what will get you killed sort of thing.

It's a hard thing to master, that's why they die like flies the first half of the game.

[RNDM]
Members
291 posts
4,918 battles

Personally I start out fast then slow down if I find no one is following me closely or will switch to a different course if no one is following me at all. I try to pace myself to within 8km of at least two friendly ships at the start of a match.

Members
584 posts
1,132 battles

If you rush too fast you can find yourself in front of the entire enemy fleet with no support, detected and sunk in seconds. The higher the tier the more evident that happens.