You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

FUSO spotted in Japanese monster movie! Shippost!

23 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,912 posts
14,539 battles

So, I admit. I'm a fan of cheesy monster movies. One of my favorites being 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. And today while watching it for the 6th? 7th? time, something caught my eye right near the beginning:

EP3Q2G3.jpg

A FUSO brand truck.

Seems that FUSO is a brand of class 3 to 5 medium-sized trucks, owned by Mitsubishi heavy industries.

Huh. Who knew.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,367 posts

Saw a Fuso here in my home town in Canada and had to do a double-take

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
6 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Saw a Fuso here in my home town in Canada and had to do a double-take

Yeah, the first time I saw one I did the same.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,367 posts
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, the first time I saw one I did the same.

Wasn't really about the name, was more of a "Holy hell, we import those?!", had the same reaction when I saw an Alfa Romeo in Stratford. Then I had to explain to my mother and sister what they were

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Wasn't really about the name, was more of a "Holy hell, we import those?!", had the same reaction when I saw an Alfa Romeo in Stratford. Then I had to explain to my mother and sister what they were

I knew about Mitsubishi trucks but didn't know about Fuso trucks. Alfa has been sold here on and off for many years and I think FCA is importing them again.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,912 posts
14,539 battles
5 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

had the same reaction when I saw an Alfa Romeo in Stratford.

An Alfa Romeo in <insert place here> I can imagine. They're a quirky car with a charm and pedigree all of their own. But a FUSO brand truck in <insert rich / first world place here> is a step further. It's an industrial vehicle, not bought for its quirky charm, looks or sports pedigree, and there are plenty of alternatives available.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

One of my favorites being 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. And today while watching it for the 6th? 7th?

I could never get into that film......It kinda just plods along which is unusual for a Toho film. The original however.........now there was some serious monster on robot action.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

But a FUSO brand truck in <insert rich / first world place here> is a step further. It's an industrial vehicle, not bought for its quirky charm, looks or sports pedigree, and there are plenty of alternatives available.

Oddly very common in Australia, which admittedly may not qualify as either rich or first world...........but definitely not quirky

[HINON]
Supertester
20,912 posts
14,539 battles
2 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Oddly very common in Australia, which admittedly may not qualify as either rich or first world...........but definitely not quirky

Australia is actually where I'd expect Fuso trucks to be somewhat common. They're close to Japan and they're a bit lacking in their own mid-weight trucking industry so it'd make sense to import.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,367 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Australia is actually where I'd expect Fuso trucks to be somewhat common. They're close to Japan and they're a bit lacking in their own mid-weight trucking industry so it'd make sense to import.

Yeah, they're either Mad Max sized war buggies, armoured to defend against rampaging cassowaries... or land-trains a kilometre long full of a whole town's supply for a year in the bush

• Funny 1

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
34 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yeah and their light trucks, under three tonne are incredibly common all over Asia. And absolutely dominate the market in India.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
33 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

... or land-trains a kilometre long full of a whole town's supply for a year in the bush

No that is just the local weekly beer run :Smile_medal:

• Funny 1

Members
1,944 posts
2,492 battles

Lert, you're 3 years late on the truck joke... but I'll allow it since the thread I made about it is in a section I can't read anymore thanks to WG's dumb forum update.

Members
2,105 posts
509 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

So, I admit. I'm a fan of cheesy monster movies. One of my favorites being 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. And today while watching it for the 6th? 7th? time, something caught my eye right near the beginning:

EP3Q2G3.jpg

A FUSO brand truck.

Seems that FUSO is a brand of class 3 to 5 medium-sized trucks, owned by Mitsubishi heavy industries.

Huh. Who knew.

there is a dealership near where I work, in Middletown CT that sells these trucks.... I was going to take a picture last year when I saw them... Now I wish I did

OH and BTW.. GODZILLA MOVIES are NOT CHEESY....seriously 

BYTydHY.jpg

boyW5gB.jpg

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
2,105 posts
509 battles
4 hours ago, MG1962 said:

I could never get into that film......It kinda just plods along which is unusual for a Toho film. The original however.........now there was some serious monster on robot action.

4ccPJJi.jpg

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
17 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

4ccPJJi.jpg

Love it. Godzilla Vs Megalon is the only Toho movie I have ever seen on the big screen. There was me, a mate in our twenties......and about 300 8 years watching

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,606 posts
7 hours ago, Lert said:

EP3Q2G3.jpg

A FUSO brand truck.

Huh. Who knew.

Fusō is the Japanese pronunciation of the word Fusang (扶桑), an ancient naming for Japan

I didn't know this until I looked it up. 

Beta Testers
9,923 posts
14 hours ago, Lert said:

EP3Q2G3.jpg

A FUSO brand truck.

Huh. Who knew.

Quite surprised that you didn't know that Fuso is a famous Japanese truck brand.  Maybe not in the Americas and in Europe, but Fusos are all over the place in Asia.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,912 posts
14,539 battles
4 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

Quite surprised that you didn't know that Fuso is a famous Japanese truck brand.  Maybe not in the Americas and in Europe, but Fusos are all over the place in Asia.

To be fair, I'm on mainland Europe, and those aren't really a thing over here. I'm willing to bet that proportionally there are as many of those over here as these over there:

4vR43Es.jpg

DAF LF, Dutch small urban distribution truck.

Or these:

JopVGAr.jpg

DAF CF, Dutch mid range regional distribution truck.