You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Steel snowflake silver lining

42 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
1,515 posts
8,065 battles

It might harvest some of the potatoes in a high tier games. Guys that might only have one or two ship lines up to tier 10. They're going to sell the tier 10 ships to buy tier 9/8 ships. I wonder how much it's going to prune casual high tier play,  and if it'll effect tier 8 match making temporarily. There will be plenty of people who don't rebuy those tier 10 ships because they didn't like them. I might sell a couple I don't mesh with myslef...

Glad I have a missouri and 150 Wyverns though, LOL

• Funny 2

[OO7]
Members
4,751 posts
11,490 battles

Wg wants to knock down fxp and credit stocks. How do they go about this?? By putting the most desirable currency in the game earn able by top tier ships. Players who have grinded through lines will likely have to buy lower tier ships back and players with very few ship lines completed will use fxp and credits to get through the lines. 

I think it is simply Wg trying to control the currency amounts from currency inflation. 

• Cool 1

Members
23,165 posts
5,841 battles
9 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Guys that might only have one or two ship lines up to tier 10. They're going to sell the tier 10 ships to buy tier 9/8 ships.

Wherever did you get the idea that people are going to take a loss on their T10s, and then throw in a few million more credits to buy ships that are considered less desireable, either because they're either "constantly uptiered or "meh at best"? 

And for what? Likely enough steel that they can get a Stalingrad in 2 years vs. 4? 

• Cool 3

[BS]
Members
1,515 posts
8,065 battles

i have very few tier 8's that arent premium, like 6 tier 9's and 10 tier 10s? well, i can sell my tier 10s and rebuy tier 9's, play those... get the steel, then sell and buy tier 8's and get that steel. then rebuy the ships i actually enjoy. I'm not selling republique, zao or henri IV though.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,371 posts
14,667 battles

What a weird plan. I suppose some people might do it, but on the whole it seems kinda contrived to think a significant number of people will sell off their T10s to rebuy lower tier ships for the steel event.

More likely some amount of people will buy silver at stupid prices and complain loudly, while others will just skip straight to the complaining part.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
23,165 posts
5,841 battles
13 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

i have very few tier 8's that arent premium, like 6 tier 9's and 10 tier 10s? well, i can sell my tier 10s and rebuy tier 9's, play those... get the steel, then sell and buy tier 8's and get that steel. then rebuy the ships i actually enjoy. 

Obviously, you've got a massive stockpile of credits. Not everyone does, or is interested in watching it dwindle, so they can scrape out enough steel to buy one ship at best.

• Boring 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,506 posts
21,645 battles
21 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

i have 67 tier 8, 9, and 10 ships.

Nice...…… the only tier 9 and tier 10 ships that I don't have are the CV's since they're broken …….and I have 271 ships and got rid of all my ARP and Dragon ships since they don't carry camo...………….

[BS]
Members
1,515 posts
8,065 battles

I don't mind grinding credits with missouri to rebuy ships, it'll give me something to do after I get the tier 10's I don't have. i have 850,000k free xp burning a whole in my wallet, and like 100 of every special signal, so I'll have enough free xp to get the Alaska after I use the free xp on the tier 10's i don't have (yamato, montana, worcester, shima, etc). I have almost every line to tier 9, atleast. Just didn't keep the tier 9's when i got the tier 10's

Edited by HorrorRoach

[CRMSN]
Members
8,255 posts
8,702 battles

This really seems like yet another "get as many to T8 and up as we can as fast as we can" thing from WG. I don't think it's a good idea, and I don't get why they do think it's a good idea.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

do we even know how much coal / steel is to be awarded? is it worth buying old ships? what about buying the cheap premium ships (smith, tachi, etc..?)

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles
Just now, Kevs02Accord said:

do we even know how much coal / steel is to be awarded? is it worth buying old ships? what about buying the cheap premium ships (smith, tachi, etc..?)

From PTS (YMWV),

• Tier X, 200 Steel
  • Tier 9, 100 Steel
  • Tier 8, 100 Steel
  • Tier 7, 200 Coal (IIRC, stopping here as I did not pay close attention)

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,029 posts
4,848 battles

Zao, Hindy, DM, Wooster, Z-52, Gumo, Khab, Groz, Moskva, Yammy, GK, Monty, Gearing, Minotaur...

I think I'm pretty well stocked on 10's.

Kidd, Mass, Roma, Tirpitz, Kutzov...I think there is something else hiding in there...

• Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,953 posts
2,812 battles

What is the Snowflake thing?  I see people talking about it, but I don't see it showing on the portal.  What is it and what are the rules for it?

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

What is the Snowflake thing?  I see people talking about it, but I don't see it showing on the portal.  What is it and what are the rules for it?

It is part of the upcoming patch.

It will allow a means to gain some Steel and Coal.  IIRC, you just need a win in the ship to get the payoff.  It will work just like First Win, but will not regenerate.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,953 posts
2,812 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

It is part of the upcoming patch.

It will allow a means to gain some Steel and Coal.  IIRC, you just need a win in the ship to get the payoff.  It will work just like First Win, but will not regenerate.

Which ship?  Any ship? 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,953 posts
2,812 battles
2 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Any Premium ship.  Any Tech Tree ship from Tier 5 up.

Thanks.

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
15,583 battles
56 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

patch 7.12 snowflakes

[FML]
Members
2,609 posts
12,342 battles
1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

This really seems like yet another "get as many to T8 and up as we can as fast as we can" thing from WG. I don't think it's a good idea, and I don't get why they do think it's a good idea.

I think it’s not a big problem at all. 

Think about the complaints about steel - long-term players who don’t do ranked or clan battles can’t buy the Borgogne etc, ever.

In comes a plan that disproportionately rewards long-term players, who are more likely to have high tier ships, and more likely to have more ships. 

These players now get access to steel (and coal). But it does not exclude newer players who only have a handful of ships at those tiers. 

It’s not unlike the Anniversary event that gives out a SC for each T10 - that event didn’t cause the end of days. 

Plus, it will increase the population of high tier ships, so MM is less skewed. 

I don’t see what is poor judgement about any of this.

Edited by UltimateNewbie
God damn autocorrect

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

5 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

SgtSpud has the article link and here is a thread about it.

The PTS amounts of coal and steel being handed out seem reasonable, but we do not know if they will be the same in the live server. This is all stuff for Patch 7.12 and we should get patch notes on Dec 18th with more detail. Patch 7.12 is almost certain to drop on Dec 19th. Patch 7.12 will be five weeks long, so this will run until patch 8.0 on Jan 23rd.

BTW, the In the Name of His Highness campaign, gives you PEF at the end, will only be 1 Stage with 4 Directives. The Directives will drop every week for four weeks and the fifth week will be a catch up week to finish them all. So some people are over speculating on the steel you will get from this campaign.

There will be a new container, Christmas containers, which will be rewards in the PEF campaigns for a PEF collection. The PEF collection and the purchasable Steel Monsters campaign will have Santa crates as a reward, almost certainly $1 ones.

6 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

There hasn't been any final announcement though on what that will look like on main right (for reward amounts)?

Nothing yet and we should find out with the patch notes on Dec 18th.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,370 posts
8,370 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Thanks.

PTS only has steel for 8+ though, btw.

Coal for other ones.

It's still unclear what will happen on live.

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,738 battles

how do you assume that players will sell their tier X to buy lower tier ships? the snowflakes event includes ships from tier 8-10. so its a loss if they actually sell their tier 10 ships to buy lower tier ships. as I assume the steel payout would be a bit higher in tier 10 ships. also from tier 6-7 it has coal as the reward

Edited by lungiwear