Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kami

Tactical Tip Tuesday.

28 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,612 posts
757 battles

Hello Captains,

What type of tactics/skills/abilities would you teach to a new player?

Would it be map awareness? How to angle? Not sit broadside in smoke?

Let us keep this thread clean and helpful =)

Thanks!

laffey.jpg

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,227 posts
3,049 battles
4 minutes ago, iKami said:

map awareness

As a new player, this is probably #1.  Angling is pretty quick to pick up.

I don't know how many times my demise has been preceded by "Where the [edited] did he come from?"

Stress the minimap.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,268 battles

Depends on 

• What tier
  • What ship
  • What game mode
  • What map
  • Where I spawned on the map
  • Who am I facing
  • What over capable ships need to be sunk first
  • How many radars are there
  • How many hydros are there

One thing for sure, no two games are ever the same. ALL these factors must be running in a noobs head, because in my head its running constant. The game is not easy to learn and the lvl of competency/ability in the above categories  will vary  from player to player.

ITs a lot

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
820 posts
7,369 battles

For a new player there is a lot to soak in.

One of the most important things is map awareness. That is mini-map reading of opfor disposition, your teams and your placement.

Getting that right and knowing when to kite, hold or push is a hard one to teach.

[SFBG]
Members
1,601 posts
8,443 battles

For the greenest of newbies, it would be ship control (WASD) and gunnery.  (aiming, angling, and ammo types)

The next up would be situational awareness, and plan of attack.    (Detection mechanics, Mini-map, and basic strategy)

Then resource management, damage repair, and consumable usage.

Target identification and selection. (tier and ship type)

Playing as a team, and playing the objective.  (Taking and giving direction, focus firing, using the F-keys appropriately)

• Cool 1

Members
717 posts
8,084 battles

Know the range of your torpedos and do not shoot from behind your teammates.

I'm looking at you low tier cruisers.

• Cool 4

[OO7]
Members
4,744 posts
11,475 battles

To stay alive and not throw their ship away. Many a game I've seen won because a couple people on a flank knew how to kite. 

Along with that goes minimap awareness. You have to know when to push, defend or kite by reading the minimap.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,718 posts

It's easy to get xp and move up the tiers. Don't rush, you're not in a race to get to 10. Get grounded in the fundamentals, game is a lot more forgiving at tier 4 than 9

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
1,612 posts
757 battles
55 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

It's easy to get xp and move up the tiers. Don't rush, you're not in a race to get to 10. Get grounded in the fundamentals, game is a lot more forgiving at tier 4 than 9

That is great advice. Is there anything you would tell a new player(s) to focus on?

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

Maybe not THE most important skill but when to use HE and when to use AP.....something I still tend to struggle with at times. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,829 posts
5,899 battles

where and in what way does the team need your help the most? sometimes, a player in the battle will help, mostly not.

even with almost 5k random battles, I have to watch replays to figure out what I could have done, maybe what would have made a difference. or what i did that was dumb, or missed, etc.

suggest you start using replays early, and don't just grind to the next ship...

[VOC]
Members
83 posts
64 battles

This needs to be kept a secret. So if anyone will share this trick, it'll have grave consequences for you. There is no safer place than the internet! :Smile_veryhappy: My contribution is not for the absolute new player but for some more advanced players. Use priority target (PT) against your targets... "yeah, that makes a lot of sense Ferry. Either take your pill or explain please." OK, took my pill and now my explanation.
When playing a DD and you're being rushed into your smoke by a cruiser or BB switch to torpedo view. The target's PT will drop 1 point. So he/ she THINKS you're torping right now. Which you obviously don't. See which way they're turning and then spread your actual torps on that direction. Believe me: it'll vastly increase your dev strike collection.

And since this is a very safe place to post tricks: in a DD approach in torpedo view "hot spots" in every case. They won't know you're targeting them because their holy number stays the same.

Now I've given you my best trick in this game and getting a bit sad of the downvotes I'm getting on this forum.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
7 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

This needs to be kept a secret. So if anyone will share this trick, it'll have grave consequences for you. There is no safer place than the internet! :Smile_veryhappy: My contribution is not for the absolute new player but for some more advanced players. Use priority target (PT) against your targets... "yeah, that makes a lot of sense Ferry. Either take your pill or explain please." OK, took my pill and now my explanation.
When playing a DD and you're being rushed into your smoke by a cruiser or BB switch to torpedo view. The target's PT will drop 1 point. So he/ she THINKS you're torping right now. Which you obviously don't. See which way they're turning and then spread your actual torps on that direction. Believe me: it'll vastly increase your dev strike collection.

And since this is a very safe place to post tricks: in a DD approach in torpedo view "hot spots" in every case. They won't know you're targeting them because their holy number stays the same.

Now I've given you my best trick in this game and getting a bit sad of the downvotes I'm getting on this forum.

I always drive around in my DDs with the torpedoes up, not guns. That way a potential target may know that he's detected but he doesn't know that he's being targeted. I bring up the guns only when I'm forced into a knife fight with another DD.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

My advice to new players; Don't be in a hurry to get to tier 10, it aint as much fun as you might think. Personally, I consider the mid and low tiers to much more fun to play.

• Cool 1

Members
2,584 posts
7,448 battles

1/ situational awareness: be aware of nit only where the enemies are, but where they are going.

2/ Not to tunnel vision: don't let kiters bait you and don't put yourself out of position to chase them.

3/ play the objectives and choke points: ties in with number 2, too many times ive seen games lost because the no cap kill all mentality from tanks spilled over to here and the reds won on points.

4/ the most important lesson: HMS Fiji is life :Smile_trollface:

[VFW]
Members
1,191 posts
23,634 battles

My #1 piece of advice:  PLAY THE OBJECTIVE!

My #1 piece on how to get better: PLAY EACH SHIP CLASS.

My #1 piece on how to get better at scoring:   HIT THE OPPOSITION THAT IS PLAYING THE OBJECTIVE.

Easy to read, hard to comprehend, difficult to master.

VR, 

Edited by TexJapan

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Tier X is not a magical promised land where all of your teammates are unicum players and everybody does exactly what you want them to.  Don't be in a rush to get there, and don't imagine that being in a higher tier ship will make you a better player--stay at the tiers you are comfortable in until you have mastered play at that level, then repeat the process with each subsequent tier.  If you're struggling to master the play at any tier, devote the time necessary to improve.  Watch YouTube/Twitch videos, ask questions on the forums, ask more experienced players in your clan to critique your replays or even work with you in a training room (oh, and join a clan), and keep practicing.

What rushing down the tech tree too quickly will do for you is magnify all of your mistakes and make it far more difficult for you to learn from them.  While not every player in the high tiers is particularly good (most of them aren't), enough are that you will be repeatedly punished every time you make a tactical error and that punishment will usually result in an immediate transfer to spectator status.  In lower tiers the inherent weaknesses built into all the ships will allow you a chance to recover from most mistakes, even if you're up against a super unicum player, and make it that much easier to correct those errors in your gameplay.  It will also be more fun for you while you do that. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Harv72b

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,085 posts
8,357 battles

Many good things have been said in this topic, best of all, don't rush!

1. Take your time to learn the mechanics of the game, rules, physics, tactics and more.
  2. Track your own progress, and set yourself goals too, using the information on the in game, in port, "profile" tab.
  3. Branch out and experiment with all 4 ship classes and the major tech tree nations (USN&IJN), don't over specialize.
  4. Understanding your enemies' and team mates' possibilities will make for a more rewarding experience.
  5. Find and join a clan that is explicit about helping new players. Your in game progress will be smoother and easier!

Members
111 posts
6,054 battles

Wow you all forgot the first thing we all had to learn - DON'T STAY IN BINOCULAR VIEW!

Seriously, I think I was well into tier three before i stopped doing that.

I still struggle with it when playing fast-firing ships like Salem ... I just wanna shoot!

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
287 posts
3,858 battles

There are a lot of things to learn in World of Warships

Macromanagement

1. Do NOT play Hearthstone. In other words, do not act like my brother and quit the game while still holding the power of which ships I get.

2. Do NOT overheat yourself. It could be tiring to play six or seven consecutive games, when performance starts to drop a bit because it becomes harder and harder to focus. Take a rest. And Please, Please, do NOT make the game into a rush for Tier 10, because if you do, it would take much longer than 300 games. From my experience, tiers 3 - 6 in general and tier 4 in particular have compelling gameplay

3. Do NOT get focused on one or two lines. Sure, one line might have compelling gameplay, but once one figures out said gameplay, it is hard to look back and see what makes that play work. Sometimes it does not work when you most expect it to. Thus, the necessity of trying other ships, to actually learn the basics of the game.

4. Do NOT go up too many lines at once. You will run out of credits.

General gameplay

1. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of your ship. Much information can be found on the wiki, or simply asking one of us forum or subreddit members. For example, one would not want to charge in like a Kaiser in a South Carolina because the enemy would simply citadel through the bow.

2. Do not overextend. Make sure that you have back-up when executing a push, unless the enemy units are simply too weak to counter you. Most likely, if you push too far, though, you would face massive amounts of fire from the enemy team and die. However still make sure that you are in a good position, though.

3. Angle and maneuver. Does not depend if its an Izyaslav or a Montana, angling would mitigate some damage. The best thing to do when charging or going away from an enemy is to face your bow or stern, respectively, while occasionally changing course and speed to throw off aim. You might hear a loud ping sound, which means ricochet and thus 0 damage, and that occurs more often angled because shells ricochet more often the further off-normal they get.

4. Detection. The first thing needed to kill an enemy is to know where the enemy is. Destroyers, radar ships, and aircraft carriers are the main eyes of the fleet. If you are in one of these ships and are with the battleships in the back line, you are not doing your job. By the converse, if you are seen, you might be put under focus fire, which is not fun. Try to fire from stealth when possible, from behind smoke or islands. Make sure that if you are in smoke or on an island that you do not remain broadside and still, though, as one can see the fall of shot

5. Aim. You could aim by reticle, which comes in static (20 knots between ticks full zoom) and dynamic (30 knots), as well as a circle and sector on the minimap. You could also aim by feel, with different ships seemingly not necessarily following the reticle or too QF to adjust. Unlike the real world, the fall of shot is actually a visible measure of whether a shell hits or not.

Edited by tyinnow

[STW-N]
Members
103 posts
11,657 battles

1. Survive, don't play so safe you don't participate but it's one of my biggest errors and the biggest errors in the game. 

2. If you cannot hit anything no matter how hard you try, close the distance as safely as possible and practice and then slowly extend your range and aim to learn to shoot better. But you're not very effective if you're not able to hit anything...

3. Use the Torp Predictor (#3) to see the speed of the enemy ship and where they intend to go. 

4. If you keep dying use Priority Target(best skill in the game for 1 capt. skill point).

5. If a BB is coming into a cap, expect he has buddies and usually a DD in the vanguard. 

6. If you haven't seen a DD in awhile, beware your flanks.

7. Play one ship a lot! Your favorite and learn all it's pros and cons.

8. Tier 9-10 is punishing.

9. Quit when you're losing, tired, tilted, upset! Play another day...

10. Watch Streams, read, find people who will teach you stuff in a clan that are good at the game(working on this now)

[WOLFB]
Members
2,714 posts
11,012 battles

Map awareness.

If you have Map awareness you'll survive longer

If you survive longer you can deal more damage, cap and support your team

If you can surpport your team you'll win.

Angling is important but it's useless if you angle against a ship but show your broadside against 5 ship because you lack map awareness

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
751 posts
5,916 battles

Spotting and concealment. Don't automatically pop smoke when you enter a cap, it blinds you and your team. They can't support you if they can't see the red ships. Its okay to stop firing, go dark and reposition.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this