Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wjp120

Generic UK cruiser premiums: Yay or nay?

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
123 posts
7,938 battles

Am I alone in wishing there were some bog-standard UK cruiser premiums with smoke, repair party, and regular UK cruiser AP-only guns?

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,493 posts
5,599 battles
24 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

Am I alone in wishing there were some bog-standard UK cruiser premiums with smoke, repair party, and regular UK cruiser AP-only guns?

You're definitely not alone. The need for a RN cruiser premium gets brought up all the time. Personally though I hope to see RN premium cruisers with HE too. I do not like the AP only guns. I despise how damage output drops like a rock when the enemy performs a fairly regular technique known as 'angling'.

I'd like to see: Sheffield, London, Dido, Exeter

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
123 posts
7,938 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Your definitely not alone. The need for a RN cruiser premium gets brought up all the time. Personally though I hope to see RN premium cruisers with HE too. I do not like the AP only guns. I despise how damage output drops like a rock when the enemy performs a fairly regular technique known as 'angling'.

Well, that'd be nice,too. I was just thinking that  Belfast is so... weird for a tier 7 compared to the regular UK line. So, maybe it'd be nice to get a couple that match the tech tree's playstyle as closely as possible, first.

[SALVO]
Members
21,002 posts
21,082 battles
43 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

You're definitely not alone. The need for a RN cruiser premium gets brought up all the time. Personally though I hope to see RN premium cruisers with HE too. I do not like the AP only guns. I despise how damage output drops like a rock when the enemy performs a fairly regular technique known as 'angling'.

I agree.  Heck, I don't know what it is about the devs and the RN.  It seems like every RN line is stuck with bad gimmicks.  RN BBs: strong HE spamming meta, with weak AP.  RN CLs: AP only where the AP is strong and with interesting fusing, but still goes to hell in a handbasket against angled targets that have enough armor to avoid penetrating hits.  And RN DD: "defensive" destroyers, whatever that is.  Short ranged torps with enough range to stealth torp but not enough to do so comfortably until tier 8, I think.

Honestly, this overly gimmick reliant design model of WOWS is annoying.  Some nations' lines aren't so gimmicky, USN CAs and CLs, for example.  OTOH, the RN CLs seems too gimmicky due to their AP only design.  

And the RN DDs seem too gimmicky, sort of.  Arguably, NOT having speed boost would seem like the lack of a gimmick.  But when all other DDs do have speed boost, the lack of it becomes a gimmick.  And this entire "defensive DD" concept is annoying.  Oh, some people may play, let's say, USN or KM DDs in a defensive manner.  But their toolsets haven't locked them into that play style.  OTOH, the RN DDs do seem to have had their "toolsets" locked into playing in a very specific way, and that's annoying.  Frankly, the RN DDs aren't that far from being pretty good DDs.  A little more torp range, particularly in the mid tiers would help.  And giving them speed boost back would help.  I can deal with their short, but numerous smokes.  But their short ranged hydro is weak.  Oh, sure, it's nice to have for defensive, anti-torpedo purposes, but it's not that great a tool or gimmick.  And their strong retention of speed in turns is very nice, but not exactly worth the loss of speed boost.  OTOH, if the RN DDs were faster, not having speed boost would be less painful.

Anyways...

I'd also love to see a nice, generic RN premium cruiser.  Just don't load it up with too many consumables and create an OP monster like the Belfast.

Frankly, at this point, I'd go so far as to say that the RN cruiser line needs a couple of premium cruisers.  One around tier 6 and one around tier 8.  Maybe one heavy and one light cruiser.

[NAUTY]
Members
587 posts
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I agree.  Heck, I don't know what it is about the devs and the RN.  It seems like every RN line is stuck with bad gimmicks.  RN BBs: strong HE spamming meta, with weak AP.  RN CLs: AP only where the AP is strong and with interesting fusing, but still goes to hell in a handbasket against angled targets that have enough armor to avoid penetrating hits.  And RN DD: "defensive" destroyers, whatever that is.  Short ranged torps with enough range to stealth torp but not enough to do so comfortably until tier 8, I think.

Honestly, this overly gimmick reliant design model of WOWS is annoying.  Some nations' lines aren't so gimmicky, USN CAs and CLs, for example.  OTOH, the RN CLs seems too gimmicky due to their AP only design.  

And the RN DDs seem too gimmicky, sort of.  Arguably, NOT having speed boost would seem like the lack of a gimmick.  But when all other DDs do have speed boost, the lack of it becomes a gimmick.  And this entire "defensive DD" concept is annoying.  Oh, some people may play, let's say, USN or KM DDs in a defensive manner.  But their toolsets haven't locked them into that play style.  OTOH, the RN DDs do seem to have had their "toolsets" locked into playing in a very specific way, and that's annoying.  Frankly, the RN DDs aren't that far from being pretty good DDs.  A little more torp range, particularly in the mid tiers would help.  And giving them speed boost back would help.  I can deal with their short, but numerous smokes.  But their short ranged hydro is weak.  Oh, sure, it's nice to have for defensive, anti-torpedo purposes, but it's not that great a tool or gimmick.  And their strong retention of speed in turns is very nice, but not exactly worth the loss of speed boost.  OTOH, if the RN DDs were faster, not having speed boost would be less painful.

Anyways...

I'd also love to see a nice, generic RN premium cruiser.  Just don't load it up with too many consumables and create an OP monster like the Belfast.

Frankly, at this point, I'd go so far as to say that the RN cruiser line needs a couple of premium cruisers.  One around tier 6 and one around tier 8.  Maybe one heavy and one light cruiser.

So anyone claiming interesting characteristics of all the different lines are gimmicks, what you are REALLY saying is you want All the lines to be exactly the same...cmon..SAY ..say it..admit it..U do.

What would YOU call a non gimmick then?

[SALVO]
Members
21,002 posts
21,082 battles
9 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

So anyone claiming interesting characteristics of all the different lines are gimmicks, what you are REALLY saying is you want All the lines to be exactly the same...cmon..SAY ..say it..admit it..U do.

What would YOU call a non gimmick then?

I want ships to be what they were, as historically designed.  Let the designers of the actual SHIPS be the ones to set national flavor, not a bunch of game designers with no real respect for history.  The reality was that not all ships were exactly the same.  Different nations' navies had different naval architectural design theories.  Let those shine through, rather than those of game designers.

I would call the strong AA of USN cruisers and battleships to be a non-gimmick.  Strong AA was a historical fact on those ships, not some game design gimmick.

Edited by Crucis

[NAUTY]
Members
587 posts
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I want ships to be what they were, as historically designed.  Let the designers of the actual SHIPS be the ones to set national flavor, not a bunch of game designers with no real respect for history.  The reality was that not all ships were exactly the same.  Different nations' navies had different naval architectural design theories.  Let those shine through, rather than those of game designers.

I would call the strong AA of USN cruisers and battleships to be a non-gimmick.  Strong AA was a historical fact on those ships, not some game design gimmick.

ROFLMAO..I just cant..I just cant...and do you think for one sec that most of the navies of the world could REALLY all compete with each other...not a chance my friend....for the most part..the US navy would Mop the floor with everyone else if they had they're latest builds and refists historically on any of the ships. It would be soo unbalanced..it wouldn't even make sense to play some of the ships @ all.

DD's would have ZERO chance against bb's..and CV's would one shot everyone in the game..EVERYtime.....so..uhh..no..

Sign in to follow this