Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Advice for Uptiered DD players

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

282
[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,194 battles

I admit I have been losing it lately with weekday matches with tier 7 ships in tier 9 battles.  No matter the ship it seems I just get killed as soon as I enter battle.  It is a choice between playing it safe and doing nothing or going in and getting focus fired and killed quickly.  I am not really sure what to do.

Capping seems to be a real mistake as no one will go in with you so I have stopped doing that.  (You can only make the decision so many times before it sinks in that capping gets you killed.)  So  you end up driving on the edge of your 7km concealment and 10km torp / gun range.  I keep launching torps but at 10km they take forever and if a BB or CA make any course changes they miss.

Just looking for any suggestions from DD players.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[S0L0]
Members
288 posts
6,560 battles

When it comes to high damage games.... 

Meh, don't worry too much about it. If you maintain, gain, and contest capture points you can still be rewarded well enough even with 28k dmg games.

The best thing a DD can do is keep spotting the enermy, and killing other DDs quickly (without putting your ship in high risks!). Don't push by yourself, and look for the win and avoid needless gun fights if possible. 

When it comes to radar, get close to hard cover and prepare to camp out there until the radar cools off. Then run as far as you cab unspotted or attempt to torp when you retreat.

I'm still an improving DD player, but that's my experience so far.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,968
[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

Kinda hard to give general advice as your specific ship, the enemy line up (both number of radar and DDs), map and game mode really dictate the strategy you need to take. I suggest trolling outside of the cap till you have an idea of the location of enemy ships (situational awareness is OP!), maybe try to bait some radar. Another good tactic for a bottom tier DD is to support a higher tier DDs, either one with better gun performance but not as good as spotting as yourself, or vise versa. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169
[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
7 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I admit I have been losing it lately with weekday matches with tier 7 ships in tier 9 battles.  No matter the ship it seems I just get killed as soon as I enter battle.  It is a choice between playing it safe and doing nothing or going in and getting focus fired and killed quickly.  I am not really sure what to do.

Capping seems to be a real mistake as no one will go in with you so I have stopped doing that.  (You can only make the decision so many times before it sinks in that capping gets you killed.)  So  you end up driving on the edge of your 7km concealment and 10km torp / gun range.  I keep launching torps but at 10km they take forever and if a BB or CA make any course changes they miss.

Just looking for any suggestions from DD players.

Thanks.

As a cruiser player you are far more important to me as a spotter in the first third of the game. If you do decide to cap, have an exist plan. If you risk being focused what topography is around that can save your neck. If those conditions are not met..........simply don't do it.

Once the herd gets thinned out a little, that's when the DDs become deadly. That's when you cap, ambush potatoes........generally enjoy life as a DD captain :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
745 posts
13,083 battles

Live.

That's the most important thing as long as you don't sail to the edge of the map and hide.

Damage is not your priority. Spotting, area denial and capping with opportunity.

If you want to contest a cap have an exit strategy. Don't dive in and find yourself radared and dead. Creep in from behind a rock.

Point your nose away from the enemy and back in.

Whatever it takes to be useful and survive.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
864 posts
14,467 battles

Being up tiered with DD is not that big problem /as for BB for example/.

1. When the game start check number of radar enemy ships -  later if you meet them or spot them on minimap just go to another side of the map. Waiting for the half game till somebody kills them is definitely waste.

The second option is to keep 10 km distance and spot and send torps to approaching ships.

2. Check,, your counterpart,, -  which enemy DDs have lower concealment then you? 

If you have the lowest con doesn't matter you are t7 in the t9 game you will be fine if u take care about looking where radar ships are.

If you are not lowest con same apply as radar ship if you spot them at A go C and be there you will me much useful there.

Other advice: as somebody mentioned you don't need to give too much dmg. Sometimes is better don't shoot and spot and wait.

Second advice: Is better stay alive to end of a game and then cap and spot, torps then rush to cap zone and died. This is very important i saw too many players die in first 5 minutes that sometimes is not even possible / like T10 bb dead in 3 minutes:D/

Third advice: sometimes doesn't matter how hard you try you ll lost a match. Just go on once you will be the queen of the game:D 

Edited by Gandariel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,194 battles
6 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

As a cruiser player you are far more important to me as a spotter in the first third of the game. If you do decide to cap, have an exist plan. If you risk being focused what topography is around that can save your neck. If those conditions are not met..........simply don't do it.

Once the herd gets thinned out a little, that's when the DDs become deadly. That's when you cap, ambush potatoes........generally enjoy life as a DD captain :)

So as a Cruiser main, what is your expectation for the DD in your BB-CL-DD mini group at the start of the match?  Is it for the DD to rush to the cap or wait and find out what directions you are going in (the BB is too slow to know what directions they are going) and follow ahead of you?

How about at the start of a match where the BB-CA just sit there and don't move.  That has confused me many times, no idea what they doing unless they are waiting to see what I will do first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,163
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,485 posts
5,594 battles

tier 7 DD vs tier 8 and 9 DD is a horrible matchup since the higher tier ships can equip the concealment mod and most likely will outspot you. But DDs are generally one of the better classes to be uptiered in since you still have good stealth and torpedoes to rely on.

The general rule of thumb when uptiered in a DD is to be more cautious, and always have a plan. Recognise that higher tier ships like say Lightning will outspot you with it's 5.5km concealment and then murder you, taker account of what the red team have in their roster. Don't hide behind your BBs, but don't go too far in front without support. If you are heading to a cap, but then the team on your flank abandons you, then stop and go somewhere else. If you go into a cap, have a contingency plan to run away for if you are spotted.

Learn which ships have radar. You WILL have to learn which ships have radar at high tiers the easy way or the hard way. General rule of thumb is that US and USSR cruisers have radar and UK cruisers might have radar. When you know you have to be need the presence of a radar ship try to have a island nearby that you can hide behind.

Wait a while. In a DD you really want to know where everything is on the map. Don't be afraid to hang back a little to see where all the radar cruisers and enemy DDs are at on the map. And to be frank imho 80% of DD players are crap, so if you hang back a bit there's a good chance a lot of the enemy DDs will get themselves killed before the 5 minute mark, giving you more freedom.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,049
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles

I am not much of a DD player but I have found that they generally up tier well, just play to your DD's strengths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,194 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

And to be frank imho 80% of DD players are crap, so if you hang back a bit there's a good chance a lot of the enemy DDs will get themselves killed before the 5 minute mark, giving you more freedom.

You can probably include me in that group.  Because of the low damage guns, hard to hit torps, no health, and no credit for spotting, us bad DD players are in a mad rush to cap because that is the only way we can end the game with any points.  It is hard to sit back and not rush the cap but it is a lesson hard learned now.  That said, how would you describe play style with capping with :

Akatsuki -

Leningrad -

Sims -

Jervis -

I tend to not early cap in Akatsuki and Leningrad but do rush in with Sims and Jervis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,163
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,485 posts
5,594 battles
12 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

So as a Cruiser main, what is your expectation for the DD in your BB-CL-DD mini group at the start of the match?  Is it for the DD to rush to the cap or wait and find out what directions you are going in (the BB is too slow to know what directions they are going) and follow ahead of you?

How about at the start of a match where the BB-CA just sit there and don't move.  That has confused me many times, no idea what they doing unless they are waiting to see what I will do first.

 Are you sure they aren't just loading in late? I only speak for myself, but when I play BB or CA/CL I generally tend to see where the DD goes. A DD that moves with intent I will support as best I can. But a DD that does not move, or heads straight towards a border, I will quickly abandon as a lost cause.

As a DD you have the ability to psychologically set the pace of where your team starts going. You provide valuable scouting, and if you lead the way, more often than not the others will feel safe enough to follow you. This doesn't always happen of course, and there's going to be times when your flank runs to the other side and hangs you out to dry. but it seems to work most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,194 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

  But a DD that does not move, or heads straight towards a border, I will quickly abandon as a lost cause.

I do not think I have ever seen a DD run to the border or not take off full speed at the start of the match.  But I believe I have seen IJN DD's make a long flank around the map to get behind enemy lines solo.  (on your own, no support coming)

I have tried that many times but it never ended well.  As a BB or CA player is there any advantage to having a DD on the other side of the map spotting from behind or is it too far away to do anyone any good?  Does locking into a BB (Priority Target) in the home cap cause them to  panic at all?  You even been in that situation with 2 BB and a CA in your home zone and a DD locks on to you hidden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,697
[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles
16 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

tier 7 DD vs tier 8 and 9 DD is a horrible matchup since the higher tier ships can equip the concealment mod and most likely will outspot you. But DDs are generally one of the better classes to be uptiered in since you still have good stealth and torpedoes to rely on.

The general rule of thumb when uptiered in a DD is to be more cautious, and always have a plan. Recognise that higher tier ships like say Lightning will outspot you with it's 5.5km concealment and then murder you, taker account of what the red team have in their roster. Don't hide behind your BBs, but don't go too far in front without support. If you are heading to a cap, but then the team on your flank abandons you, then stop and go somewhere else. If you go into a cap, have a contingency plan to run away for if you are spotted.

Learn which ships have radar. You WILL have to learn which ships have radar at high tiers the easy way or the hard way. General rule of thumb is that US and USSR cruisers have radar and UK cruisers might have radar. When you know you have to be need the presence of a radar ship try to have a island nearby that you can hide behind.

Wait a while. In a DD you really want to know where everything is on the map. Don't be afraid to hang back a little to see where all the radar cruisers and enemy DDs are at on the map. And to be frank imho 80% of DD players are crap, so if you hang back a bit there's a good chance a lot of the enemy DDs will get themselves killed before the 5 minute mark, giving you more freedom.

By paragraphs:

1. 100% agree.  The presence of the tier 8 concealment module is extremely unbalancing IMO for DDs of tier 6 and 7 vs DDs of tiers 8 and 9.  (I leave tier 10 DDs out here because they'll be facing tier 8 DDs which can also have the concealment module.)  I really wish that they do something about this.  Maybe remove the concealment module.  Maybe change it to be a "camouflage module" that increases dispersion for incoming gun fire vs the DD, rather than concealment.  

2. Agreed.  OTOH, I'm always cautious when playing DDs regardless of whether I'm top or bottom tier.  Over aggressiveness gets you killed.  Over caution tends to lead to you being ineffective.  But when trying to walk the line between the two, I err on the side of caution only because staying alive is usually more important than whatever you might accomplish before you get killed.

3. 100% agree.  Leaning which ships will have radar and which ships might have radar is important.  But it's also important to learn the radar ranges as well.

4. I agree that a LOT of DD players are bad.  There are too many who just charge right into a cap and get themselves killed.  There are too many whose first instinct, when being spotted by an enemy they can see is, to start shooting instead of staying guns silent and trying to escape outside of detection range and back into concealment.  It's one thing if you happen to have gotten surprised when some enemy ship comes around the corner of an island and you're far too close to escape back into concealment.  But often this situation occurs because the player was not being cautious and allowed himself to get ambushed.  Usually the best way to avoid this sort of ambush is to stay in open water where you can see ships approaching from every direction.  Of course, this isn't always possible, so you do the best you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,697
[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles
20 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

You can probably include me in that group.  Because of the low damage guns, hard to hit torps, no health, and no credit for spotting, us bad DD players are in a mad rush to cap because that is the only way we can end the game with any points.  It is hard to sit back and not rush the cap but it is a lesson hard learned now.  That said, how would you describe play style with capping with :

Akatsuki -

Leningrad -

Sims -

Jervis -

I tend to not early cap in Akatsuki and Leningrad but do rush in with Sims and Jervis.

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is to not cap per se, but to get close to a cap to try to spot an enemy DD so that you can engage them.  The Sims is a great cap brawler with her high ROF guns.  And while her long range torps are slow and low damage, they can still catch ships by surprise.  And in spite of their low damage, it's still enough to make any DD's life a little rougher.

The Leningrad isn't a good short range brawler due to its glacially slow turret traverses.  But it is OK at mid range DDvDD brawling due to her flat shell trajectories.  It really helps the Leningrad (and the Gremmy and Othotnik) to have one of those special Russian captains who has an upgraded Expert Marksman skill, to get the best possible turret traverse.

Also, watch for smoke.  If you see an enemy smoke screen on the cap, launch your torps into it before firing your guns, even if you happen to have the enemy DD spotted.  Often, the best thing you can do in that situation is to let the torps run into the smoke while you remain guns silent.  If you launch torps and then start shooting, you might scare them out of the smoke and away from your torps.  I like to give my torps a chance to hit.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,163
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,485 posts
5,594 battles
35 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

You can probably include me in that group.  Because of the low damage guns, hard to hit torps, no health, and no credit for spotting, us bad DD players are in a mad rush to cap because that is the only way we can end the game with any points.  It is hard to sit back and not rush the cap but it is a lesson hard learned now.  That said, how would you describe play style with capping with :

Akatsuki -

Leningrad -

Sims -

Jervis -

I tend to not early cap in Akatsuki and Leningrad but do rush in with Sims and Jervis.

Um well... sometimes it's more polite to omit some details.:Smile_hiding:

Honestly it's hard to comment on your playstyle without a replay. I suspect that it's really more an issue of experience. You have less than 1000 games total, and just over 500 in DDs. I'd call you still learning. My suggestion is to watch some destroyer videos from CCs like Notser or Flamu. they generally have good commentary on what to do and why they did it. And then just keep practicing. DDs are difficult to play no matter what the BB only players think.

Type something like 'Akatsuki World of Warships into youtube' and it should come up with something. Like this one from iChase

25 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I do not think I have ever seen a DD run to the border or not take off full speed at the start of the match.  But I believe I have seen IJN DD's make a long flank around the map to get behind enemy lines solo.  (on your own, no support coming)

I have tried that many times but it never ended well.  As a BB or CA player is there any advantage to having a DD on the other side of the map spotting from behind or is it too far away to do anyone any good?  Does locking into a BB (Priority Target) in the home cap cause them to  panic at all?  You even been in that situation with 2 BB and a CA in your home zone and a DD locks on to you hidden?

It's usually a bad idea. In fairness i have to include myself in this criticism, since I've done that a few times. An isolated DD behind enemy lines is incredibly vulnerable. What I've mostly seen is that if a DD is realised to be alone behind enemy lines, they get cornered and killed.

That said there are rare times when it works. There was one time in my Kamikaze on Two Brothers, where the red team left the entire eastern flank unattended (I must stress that it was completely no enemies). I (I had BB/CA backup behind me) was able to race behind, and do loads of spotting and chaos in the enemy back lines. There was also one time in an Akatsuki where I had the opportunity to sneak around and cap for the win, whilst the rest of my team were losing quite heavily.

But those are rare occasions imho when the opportunity present itself. Generally charging around to the enemy rear solo doesn't contribute to the team, and will mostly get the DD killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
533
[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,729 battles

I dont have any "advice" in general, as I myself go with the flow whenever I am uptiered.

but you just need to keep your objectives whenever you play a DD and that is to spot and give targets for your team to shoot at. the rest you can do is that your team knows how to aim and dont fail you. I generally try to hunt enemy DDs and keep them away from my team so they dont get torped and focus only on shooting.

i just go about doing my primary job in a DD and generally end up on top XP earned ( I am good with my torpedo judgement so I get a few hits here and there and then I call on focus fire on that ship). its all about some team play whenever you get uptiered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
331
[KP]
Members
403 posts
202 battles
1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I admit I have been losing it lately with weekday matches with tier 7 ships in tier 9 battles.  No matter the ship it seems I just get killed as soon as I enter battle.  It is a choice between playing it safe and doing nothing or going in and getting focus fired and killed quickly.  I am not really sure what to do.

Capping seems to be a real mistake as no one will go in with you so I have stopped doing that.  (You can only make the decision so many times before it sinks in that capping gets you killed.)  So  you end up driving on the edge of your 7km concealment and 10km torp / gun range.  I keep launching torps but at 10km they take forever and if a BB or CA make any course changes they miss.

Just looking for any suggestions from DD players.

Thanks.

If you wanna drive around shooting stuff not giving a rats anus how much radar is in the game, play Russian. I have over 4,000 matches just in RU DD's for the very reasons you list. When th game first started there was literally one ship in the entire game with Radar the Atlanta and only one line had hydro, KM cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
299
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
721 posts
6,548 battles
54 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Akatsuki -

 Leningrad -

Sims -

Jervis -

 

Akatsuki -   Torp boat like the fubiki. Send the torps.  the AKI is worth it. (EDIT:kill everything, then cap. Super awesome with a spotting dd buddy. Stop the enemy from capping. - sorry this advice is for the akisuki ) 

 Leningrad - don't have one. I want one. I don't like it when I see one. They tend to be flighty and rail gun dangerous.

Sims - brute force cap contender. With long smoke. Sit in cap with exit strategy, make long smoke chain. Move within smoke and make fires on everything if you have spotting. If you don't have spotting, smoke for your team and spot for them. Don't get caught by radar. Can't rely on torps, the reload is long. Get RPF.

Jervis - brute force cap contender. Use concealment to try and spot red dd. Use smoke like a Houdini to vanish. Don't get caught by radar. Torps reload fairly fast, and can nail a dd. Get RPF. Use sonar if you know there is a dd contesting against you to spot torps.  Worth the grind for the Lightning. 

Edited by skillztowin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[SHAFT]
Members
542 posts
13,187 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

Whatever it takes to be useful and survive.

 

Best advice for any dd player right there at any tier.

Yoloing the cap in the first two minutes of a game does not help the team.

Evaluate the threats on the red team and adjust your game, dd play is not static.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[NFE]
Members
279 posts
2,991 battles

Invite your teammates to suggest actions, especially late in the game. I recently pulled victory from the jaws of defeat on the advice of a teammate. I think most tier 8-9 players are happy to offer advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50
[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
160 posts
10,983 battles

Lots of good advice above.  I would add the recommendation of over-communicating with your team.  "Capping A" at the start (assuming that's what you're doing) lets people know what to expect.  Continue communicating your actions - you're the most nimble (usually) and have the most flexibility. 

It is especially important to communicate if you are thinking of going off on your own - i.e. heading off to snipe carriers or send Asashio-torps at BBs from the back, instead of capping/recon for the team.  And listen to what you hear back.  If you are the only DD in a domination mode game that's closely contested, going off on your own may doom your team to defeat, no matter what you are able to pull off.  

The other point I don't see above is to compare the minimap with the roster of living opponents, so you know what you don't know....what you don't know can kill you.  Say they have three DDs still in game and the minimap only shows 1.....or say they have 2 radar-equippable ships and you don't know where either is.  Better factor those unknowns into your plan.  Hopefully you have most-recent-position setting on so you know the unknowns were when last spotted, but that's only a guideline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
  1. Understand the threats you're facing.  This means looking at the team list and identifying which enemy DDs outspot you, which outgun you, which carry hydro & which might have a nasty surprise like radar for you.  Learn the ranges and duration of the various radars you could be facing in the high tiers.  Find the biggest potential threats on the enemy team and spam the bejeebus out your F3 key any time they're spotted.  Also look for divisions on the opposing team and keep mental track of which ships are in them; if you're up against a dangerous Missouri/Neptune/Fletcher div and somebody spots the Missouri, there's a very good chance the Neptune & Fletcher are nearby as well.  Alternately, understand when you aren't facing any real threats: Leningrad is normally a lousy ship to try for early caps in, but if the enemy team only has a Blyskawica and a Tashkent for destroyers and just a single Chapayev for radar, your Leningrad suddenly becomes a very viable capping ship...particularly if those ships are spotted on a different flank.
  2. Don't over commit.  Contesting caps during the early stages of the battle is still a very good thing, but charging full speed down the middle of them is not.  Take angles into the caps, just skirt the boundaries at first, and try to have your bow pointed back out of the cap, with some handy terrain nearby to duck behind where possible, before you are spotted.  You can even take a page from top competitive play and back into the cap in the first place.  Be cognizant to where your threats are likely to approach from (Radio Location will help with this if you have the captain points available), and don't hesitate to throw preemptive torps down those angles before any ships are actually spotted there.  If you get spotted, or see a cruiser getting close to having you inside his radar range, just bail on the cap for now--you can always come back later, but only if you're still alive.  Also pay close attention to how much support you have at the cap, if any, and adjust your play accordingly.
  3. Do not sit in your smoke inside a cap.  Aside from the obvious torpedo magnet quality that smoke has at any tier, sitting inside a smoke cloud robs you of the vision you need to see enemy ships coming and identify that you need to escape before you're being pummeled by focused fire.  It also robs your teammates of the vision needed to properly support you--your battleships can't dev strike enemy radar cruisers if nobody is spotting them.
  4. When all else fails, at least do what you can to secure a trade.  Maybe you pushed a little too far, maybe you ate a torpedo at the same time a random catapult fighter spotted you, maybe an enemy division is chaining radars against you, whatever the cause it's pretty obvious that your ship is going down within the next few salvos.  Instead of popping a futile smoke (which will then become an enemy smoke) or focusing all your attention on surviving for a couple extra seconds, sink your efforts into doing as much damage as possible to a key enemy ship before your hit points reach zero.  Getting sunk in a bottom tier destroyer during the early stages of a battle is not the worst thing that can possibly happen to you or to your team: getting sunk during the early stages without exacting a toll on the red team is.  It's not a goal you should be entering the battle with, but when you find yourself in a hopeless tactical situation then trading your Jervis for an enemy Chung Mu is absolutely worth it, even if you aren't the one who gets that kill!  On the other hand, smoking up in a vain attempt to survive or throwing desperation torpedoes at no ship in particular instead of keeping your guns firing and that Chung Mu spotted for your teammates is often going to result in a dangerous target escaping while you drop into spectator mode anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
717 posts
8,084 battles

Concealment is life. So is an exit plan. 

This is why I like to have the best concealment if possible.

At the start I'll race to the closest cap that is not super restricted by islands.

Once inside the cap circle, turn 90° towards your escape plan and reduce speed. (Assuming your not spotted first).

See who shows up. If it's a cruiser, use your escape plan. If it's a airplane, use your escape plan. If it's a DD that's out spotting you, use your escape plan. You get the idea. Be Brave Sir Robin and bravely run away.

If you out spot the DD, do nothing at first. Your team should be shooting at it. If the DD smokes up, rejoice, It's your turn to put the torpedo in to the saying "Smoke clouds are torpedo magnets". 

About your escape plan. If you can, incorporate ducking behind an island. If you get scanned radared, that could save you.

At Tier 9 and 10 I can't stress enough how important it is not to be seen. The guns at that those levels are deadly. 

Edited by Capt_Mexib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[B_Y_F]
Members
345 posts
8,528 battles
3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I keep launching torps but at 10km they take forever and if a BB or CA make any course changes they miss.

Don't always launch torps at the white prediction line. It doesn't work at high tier most time. Try to image you are in your target's position and predict his move. 

An easy first step will be if you are torping a target at max range when he's going full speed. Try alway launch your torps short (before the white line). That's because if he does nothing,  your torps miss but he's probably eat lots of gun damage. If he turn out, your torps will not reach him anyway. (He eat your torps if slow down or turn in)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169
[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,696 battles
56 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

Don't always launch torps at the white prediction line. It doesn't work at high tier most time. Try to image you are in your target's position and predict his move. 

An easy first step will be if you are torping a target at max range when he's going full speed. Try alway launch your torps short (before the white line). That's because if he does nothing,  your torps miss but he's probably eat lots of gun damage. If he turn out, your torps will not reach him anyway. (He eat your torps if slow down or turn in)

Also worth throwing them up any channels you might pass. They might be there, they might not. Done enough damage blind firing to say the tactic is worth exploring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×