You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
driedjello

Evidence that WG is doing something about bots?

22 comments in this topic

[NAB]
Members
418 posts
9,441 battles

I recorded a bot a while back that I had seen ruining many games before, created a ticket and turned it in.  My response was that they have some type of sophisticated detection software and I didn't need to submit any more tickets about them.  Well, I have been seeing them a lot...  and they have been botting A LOT.  The non-skill based MM (stupid idea) of course by natural distribution is putting multiple bots on one team, dooming anyone's chances to enjoy the game.

My question to you is:  Are you aware of any evidence that bots are getting banned from the game or is this lip service as we dump our wallets into Santa crates?  I know they don't want to accidentally impugn someone who is just terrible at the game but is there a balance where they have any concern with the player experience?  I have seen other games that do the same thing.

I turn to you because the ticketing system is obviously not going to help me decide if real efforts are being made for this or if I should just expect that the enjoyment of playing is going to get wrecked by WG's passivity. 

Edited by driedjello

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

I haven't seen more than one/two players I suspected of being bots. Most of the accusations I see are aimed at people just being total potatoes, not bots.

• Cool 1

[NAB]
Members
418 posts
9,441 battles
Just now, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I haven't seen more than one/two players I suspected of being bots. Most of the accusations I see are aimed at people just being total potatoes, not bots.

you may be right.  I have just looked up the stats of the last two zero point bots.  They obviously have a history of scoring absolutely zero points in a match as their PSRs are below 300 but strangely both accounts had premium ships...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts

I saw a ship the other day that appeared to have been programmed. All it did the whole game was just sail around in a tight circle. It wasn't a very sophisticated bot AI. Probably just someone seeing if they could do it.

For the most part, however, I think "bots" are just poor players.

• Cool 1

Members
111 posts
6,054 battles

I sometimes try to claim to be a bot if i totally potato.

People ask stuff like "Why did you  try to outgun a Des Moines with a Kagero" and I'm not sure how else to respond.

[WORX]
Members
4,227 posts
15,313 battles
14 minutes ago, driedjello said:

My question to you is:  Are you aware of any evidence that bots are getting banned from the game or is this lip service as we dump our wallets into Santa crates?  I know they don't want to accidentally impugn someone who is just terrible at the game but is there a balance where they have any concern with the player experience?  I have seen other games that do the same thing.

My answer to is a simple common sense approach.

• There are no bots being advertised in youtube.
  • Must bots/cheating happens in low tier games.
  • After a certain amount games, they're perma banned 
  • Any paid cheating is reported to the legal dept.

I don;t know why you think a player is cheating without cause. I dont have concerns of cheating as long as there is evidence of it and its out of control. So far I dont see that.

14 minutes ago, driedjello said:

The non-skill based MM (stupid idea)

^^^ This idea is bad for a lot of reason for which I hope never gains traction

GL and HF

Edited by Navalpride33

[SF-A]
Members
3,055 posts
6,513 battles

Actually, I would like to see a few people called out. For example, if someone TKs often enough to be permanently banned, announce it publicly. They're gone, and it serves to prove that something is being done.

No names here, (I don't personally know of anyone being banned like that) but to put it up there when it happens would be interesting to say the least.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

In other games I've played, the purpose of the "bot" is to play 24/7, and play well! Why run a not if it does nothing? Successful bots build accounts to sell, not crappy accounts that no one wants. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
22 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

My answer to is a simple common sense approach.

• There are no bots being advertised in youtube.
  • Must bots/cheating happens in low tier games.
  • After a certain amount games, they're perma banned 
  • Any paid cheating is reported to the legal dept.

I don;t know why you think a player is cheating without cause. I dont have concerns of cheating as long as there is evidence of it and its out of control. So far I dont see that.

^^^ This idea is bad for a lot of reason for which I hope never gains traction

GL and HF

Bots are not advertised but do a search for power leveling and you will get a plethora of hits but with how easy it is to catch bots with another bot they must be using people to grind them but doing well is not part of the product.

[AR15]
[AR15]
Beta Testers
130 posts
12,752 battles

I had 3 straight games this morning with the same person running the same ship, a North Carolina.  Every game the ship took a hard left and sailed to the bottom left corner of the map.  It only "contributed" in one game when it got a few plane  kills and a a couple of secondaries --never fired main batteries or moved after reaching the corner.

• Cool 1

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I dont see the same bots over and over, but every couple of games there are bots at least on one side or the other. Really frustrating when you get down to the last few ships and you have a full health BB or CA that could easily wing the game to a win, but their a bot. Thats probably when you notice them the most.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles
15 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I had a bot in a game the other day, opposing team, but a bot.    NC that didn't move from its starting position until it took damage, then it sailed full steam ahead (into 6 of my torps from max range, it never changed direction) and was finished up by a teammate shortly after barely surviving the torps.      I think I can still dig out the replay if you want.

Clear as day bot.   I see at LEAST 1-2 a night like this, either on my team or the other.

Edited by Zenn3k

[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
15 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It wasn't a very sophisticated bot AI. Probably just someone seeing if they could do it.

Doesn't have to be an "AI" to do that. Keyboard macros are childishly easy to write and run as a shell script.

Members
1,090 posts
5,914 battles

Doubtful. No reason the accounts running bots can't also be making purchases. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one bot Tirpitz. 

They're not really a huge problem in the game. In my experience the rounds that are ruined by bots are absolutely dwarfed in number by those ruined by terrible human players. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

Members
23,173 posts
5,841 battles
17 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I saw a ship the other day that appeared to have been programmed. All it did the whole game was just sail around in a tight circle.

Could have been me setting a hard turn and then getting Pearl Harbored by the Taco Bell I ate earlier.....

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,819 posts
11,704 battles

Most of these "bots" are usually just trolls trying to ruin the game.

Members
177 posts
3 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Clear as day bot.   I see at LEAST 1-2 a night like this, either on my team or the other.

Heck I've seen you play like a bot too but I don't scream that you're a bot.  What a foolish thing to think that you see that many bots out there.  Most of the time those that aren't moving until after you fire on them were either AFK for a sec or just loading in due to computer problems.  And just because they ailed right into your torps doesn't mean they are a bot either, it means they either weren't paying attention or like so many others have said are potatoes.  Get over yourself

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles
8 minutes ago, British_Beauty said:

Heck I've seen you play like a bot too but I don't scream that you're a bot.  What a foolish thing to think that you see that many bots out there.  Most of the time those that aren't moving until after you fire on them were either AFK for a sec or just loading in due to computer problems.  And just because they ailed right into your torps doesn't mean they are a bot either, it means they either weren't paying attention or like so many others have said are potatoes.  Get over yourself

I never play like a bot, my stats back that up.

Guy didn't move at ALL until he took 1 shell of fire, then went full steam and didn't turn at all (fired a few shots at someone as well) until he died.

How can you say that NOT a bot?

• Cool 1

Members
177 posts
37 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I never play like a bot, my stats back that up.

Guy didn't move at ALL until he took 1 shell of fire, then went full steam and didn't turn at all (fired a few shots at someone as well) until he died.

How can you say that NOT a bot?

LOL, stats stats stats, everyone wants to quote their stats like it really means anything to anyone in the real world.  All you do is whine and moan and accuse people of things that are just in your head.  Pretty pathetic really.  And I'm sorry, even if your stats are worth anything it doesn't excuse the fact that in matches all you do is complain about other players, boss people around and then hide in the back like a scared little girl. Makes you look more like a bot with the you hide than the actual bots.

• Cool 2