You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Vaffu

Why do BBs turn tail and run to the border soon as they are spotted?

355 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles

I am very curious as to why. For example. 2 or 3 BBs maybe a cruiser or two and a DD are heading towards a cap and the BBs will turn and run as far as possible, to the border of the map usually as soon as anything shoots at them even if they are facing less ships. What purpose does this serve?  I see this match after match and more times than not the team with the BBs that do this lose quickly.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 7

[FML]
Members
2,607 posts
12,342 battles

They could be angling their armour, particularly if they are facing superior battleships.  They could be anticipating an enemy push on that side of the map, so getting ready to start kiting given how long it takes to turn away and how vulnerable they are when they turn. They could have just dodged random torps, or turning in anticipation of random torps. 

Or, of course, they could just be bone headed scrubs who refuse to support their DDs and cruisers, insist on losing, and blame their team extensively. 

• Cool 12

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Or, of course, they could just be bone headed scrubs who refuse to support their DDs and cruisers, insist on losing, and blame their team extensively. 

In the situation I described I would be inclined to go with this. I have yet to see when more distance between a BB and it's target is a good thing as the BBs that push always dictate how the match will go.

• Cool 2

Members
2,076 posts
9,919 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

They could be angling their armour, particularly if they are facing superior battleships.  They could be anticipating an enemy push on that side of the map, so getting ready to start kiting given how long it takes to turn away and how vulnerable they are when they turn. They could have just dodged random torps, or turning in anticipation of random torps. 

/End Thread

giphy.gif

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
2,607 posts
12,342 battles
Just now, Vaffu said:

In the situation I described I would be inclined to go with this. I have yet to see when more distance between a BB and it's target is a good thing as the BBs that push always dictate how the match will go.

Personally, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. I’ve seen plenty of battleships push aka yolo caps only to get focused or die quickly. That doesn’t win battles either. Controlled aggression combined with good judgement wins battles - this is true of battleships, DDs and cruisers. And it is harder than it looks. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Personally, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. I’ve seen plenty of battleships push aka yolo caps only to get focused or die quickly. That doesn’t win battles either. Controlled aggression combined with good judgement wins battles - this is true of battleships, DDs and cruisers. And it is harder than it looks. 

When you watch a superior number of  BBs with cruisers and DDs with them run from nothing more than a couple ships it is very easy to judge. They have spotting and cruisers to kill any DDs that are spotted. 

If they had no other support I could maybe see backing off a little but not running for the border. You can angle without running to max range.

• Cool 2

Members
2,163 posts
5,964 battles
15 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I am very curious as to why. For example. 2 or 3 BBs maybe a cruiser or two and a DD are heading towards a cap and the BBs will turn and run as far as possible, to the border of the map usually as soon as anything shoots at them even if they are facing less ships. What purpose does this serve?  I see this match after match and more times than not the team with the BBs that do this lose quickly.

Obviously they are not US Battleships T7 and under.  They can't run anywhere and it takes them forever to get as far away as possible at a modest waddle. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
8 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Obviously they are not US Battleships T7 and under.  They can't run anywhere and it takes them forever to get as far away as possible at a modest waddle. 

No this is T10 which makes it all the more ridiculous. I rarely  encounter a BB that effectively hits anything at max range.

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
23 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Making a run for the border?  Hell man they are hungry for Tacos and Enchiladas.  Or....and I hate to say this, they are fresh outta dope. OR our Pres has ordered them to the border as a show of U.S. determination to halt illegal immigration.  (sorry, too political...bad)

Time for my meds.  Yup. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,017 battles
12 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

No this is T10 which makes it all the more ridiculous. I rarely  encounter a BB that effectively hits anything at max range.

Yep i see BBs running from cruisers even if we have the bigger force.

Just can't win lately with all the runaway BBs.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
7 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Making a run for the border?  Hell man they are hungry for Tacos and Enchiladas.  Or....and I hate to say this, they are fresh outta dope. OR our Pres has ordered them to the border as a show of U.S. determination to halt illegal immigration.  (sorry, too political...bad)

Time for my meds.  Yup. :Smile_smile:

Damn you! Now I want tacos.

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,017 battles
1 minute ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

BBs are elephants and red DDs are mice if the BBs even think there is a DD nearby they freak out and run.

They run even if there are no DDs.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
9 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Damn you! Now I want tacos.

hmmm me to!  But it's 4 miles to our Taco Hell here in my town from me and it's getting late and I am tired and it's cold out. 

Edited by dmckay

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,017 battles
8 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Nobody wins a battle by derping to their death inside 3 minutes.  

Very rarely does having only BBs alive on a team win battles.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 2

Members
161 posts
9,903 battles

I think this happens in high tier more often than low tiers. There is a looming treat of DDs and torpedoes in the water that makes BBs apprehensive to push. In low tiers, this fear hasn't been ingrained yet so you see BBs going in a straight line at the other team, only to be quickly sunk by a DD.

Beta Testers
1,941 posts
10,762 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

Some possibilities:

1. Circulus-phobia
  2. Mistake Solo Warrior as Last Survivor
  3. Caps are lava
  4. My sig

[RNJR]
Members
282 posts
4,713 battles

Becuase you cannot angle against High Ex.  And AP still scratches the paint. Gotta be full health to fight all the cowardly invisivle dds and HE spamming island camping cruisers too scared to fight open water. 

• Cool 3

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,017 battles
36 minutes ago, Der_Eigenvektor said:

I think this happens in high tier more often than low tiers. There is a looming treat of DDs and torpedoes in the water that makes BBs apprehensive to push. In low tiers, this fear hasn't been ingrained yet so you see BBs going in a straight line at the other team, only to be quickly sunk by a DD.

Because of the new DD cap quiet often there is only 2 DDs per side at T10.

Edited by Final8ty

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
31 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Nobody wins a battle by derping to their death inside 3 minutes.  

Nobody wins by running to max range where they cannot cover the DDs and Cruisers and their guns are next to useless. There is a difference between derping to their death as you call it and actually being in a position to offer competent and effective support.

• Cool 1

Members
2,068 posts
78 battles
55 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I do remember seeing someone claim that BB's main battery hit rate is the highest when it is at shot at max range. I think it was Sbane12 or something.

• Funny 1

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,338 battles
1 minute ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I do remember seeing someone claim that BB's main battery hit rate is the highest when it is at shot at max range. I think it was Sbane12 or something.

I will have to disagree just judging by the matches I play in.