You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

PSA on positioning

9 comments in this topic

Members
841 posts
3,782 battles

As they say, "it's not about knowing how to fight, it's when to fight."

So please, stop overextending.

It makes you no better than the camper that always sits in the back.

It helped me a ton to learn this.

EDIT: It's best to avoid overextending by both controlling your ship movement and analyzing the map situation. Even if your flank on a map is larger than the enemies', don't go charging in head first. Only move up with your team if they do.

Another good way to prevent overextending I found out, especially when using fast ships is to never sail at full speed unless you are trying to get into a position behind an island, etc. Always go 3/4ths or 1/2 speed, you can keep adjusting it time to time.

If you are a cruiser or battleship early game and find yourself within 3 km or within a capture zone, you're in a bad spot.

Also do not be afraid to do retreat if you feel you are in a bad position or if you are being concentrated. It's better to keep your ship and it's firepower alive than to try to quickly deal a bunch of damage before dying. It will help both the team and your personal score.

If you are unsure or not confident, going into a kiting move is always an option. To do this, angle your ship away from the enemy, but enough to keep all your guns on target. Switch between stop, reverse, 1/4 and 1/2 speed to try to maintain a decent distance from the enemy. This allows you the option to quickly retreat should you come under fire too quickly, while you can still get all your firepower off as if you were heading towards the enemy.

For example, with my Missouri back in the day, due to the ship's fast speed I always overextended and often didn't retreat or kite enough. I always ended up in the center of the fire and was concentrated on all sides. My survival rate in this ship is literally 17%. While with my newer ship, the Alsace, I learned how to not be too overly aggressive and knowing when to fight. Despite Alsace being just as fast as Missouri, I was able to control myself and how far I was fighting from the enemy. In return, this gave me a far higher survival rate of 40%.

So STOP OVEREXTENDING. It's causing a lot more damage to teams than you'd realize. It's why teams can lose all of their top tier battleships in less than a minute and immediately be robbed of any advantages.

Edited by TitanicMan2
  • Cool 2

Members
841 posts
3,782 battles
17 minutes ago, MelonFlavoredShells said:

Telling people how to avoid overextending is far more useful than telling them why.

Just saying. :Smile_hiding:

Good point.

there we go

Edited by TitanicMan2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,272 posts
11,281 battles

Overextending happens to the very best but the difference is those that are honest with themselves admit instead of blaming everything and everyone but themselves.

• Cool 2

Members
2,163 posts
5,964 battles

Overextending is a problem that I tend to have but to a significant degree, when I overextend it's not because I am blindly charging forward into certain doom (ok that does happen some times, but lets ignore that for the moment).  

My problem with over extension often has it's source in overly passive play.  There are times when it's obvious that the enemy is moving forward and taking caps while all the green ships are huddled behind rocks or piled up in a traffic jam outside the caps which is most often a prelude to a decisive defeat.  It's very challenging for me to accept that the only viable alternative at this point is to start camping and sniping seeing if I can rake in a bit of damage farming as my team goes down in pathetic and aggravating defeat.

At times like this, I tend to try and figure out if I and my ship can do anything to change the way my team is fighting the battle and maybe snatch victory from the jaws of otherwise highly likely defeat.  This will sometimes entice me to use my ship and it's actions to possibly inspire some of the other green ships to do the same.  Sometimes it works and good things happen, sometimes it doesn't and you're out there all on your lonesome kicking yourself for leading the charge while the troops stayed behind in camp.  

Maybe you can win more by camping with the campers and sniping with the snipers and possibly that's a lesson that I'll learn and benefit from, but it sure the $%@^$ is annoying and frustrating. :fish_boom:

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
2,439 posts
25,017 battles
28 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Overextending is a problem that I tend to have but to a significant degree, when I overextend it's not because I am blindly charging forward into certain doom (ok that does happen some times, but lets ignore that for the moment).  

My problem with over extension often has it's source in overly passive play.  There are times when it's obvious that the enemy is moving forward and taking caps while all the green ships are huddled behind rocks or piled up in a traffic jam outside the caps which is most often a prelude to a decisive defeat.  It's very challenging for me to accept that the only viable alternative at this point is to start camping and sniping seeing if I can rake in a bit of damage farming as my team goes down in pathetic and aggravating defeat.

At times like this, I tend to try and figure out if I and my ship can do anything to change the way my team is fighting the battle and maybe snatch victory from the jaws of otherwise highly likely defeat.  This will sometimes entice me to use my ship and it's actions to possibly inspire some of the other green ships to do the same.  Sometimes it works and good things happen, sometimes it doesn't and you're out there all on your lonesome kicking yourself for leading the charge while the troops stayed behind in camp.  

Maybe you can win more by camping with the campers and sniping with the snipers and possibly that's a lesson that I'll learn and benefit from, but it sure the $%@^$ is annoying and frustrating. :fish_boom:

So much this.

[BOTO]
Members
454 posts
10,115 battles
14 hours ago, TitanicMan2 said:

As they say, "it's not about knowing how to fight, it's when to fight."

So please, stop overextending.

It makes you no better than the camper that always sits in the back.

It helped me a ton to learn this.

EDIT: It's best to avoid overextending by both controlling your ship movement and analyzing the map situation. Even if your flank on a map is larger than the enemies', don't go charging in head first. Only move up with your team if they do.

Another good way to prevent overextending I found out, especially when using fast ships is to never sail at full speed unless you are trying to get into a position behind an island, etc. Always go 3/4ths or 1/2 speed, you can keep adjusting it time to time.

If you are a cruiser or battleship early game and find yourself within 3 km or within a capture zone, you're in a bad spot.

Also do not be afraid to do retreat if you feel you are in a bad position or if you are being concentrated. It's better to keep your ship and it's firepower alive than to try to quickly deal a bunch of damage before dying. It will help both the team and your personal score.

If you are unsure or not confident, going into a kiting move is always an option. To do this, angle your ship away from the enemy, but enough to keep all your guns on target. Switch between stop, reverse, 1/4 and 1/2 speed to try to maintain a decent distance from the enemy. This allows you the option to quickly retreat should you come under fire too quickly, while you can still get all your firepower off as if you were heading towards the enemy.

For example, with my Missouri back in the day, due to the ship's fast speed I always overextended and often didn't retreat or kite enough. I always ended up in the center of the fire and was concentrated on all sides. My survival rate in this ship is literally 17%. While with my newer ship, the Alsace, I learned how to not be too overly aggressive and knowing when to fight. Despite Alsace being just as fast as Missouri, I was able to control myself and how far I was fighting from the enemy. In return, this gave me a far higher survival rate of 40%.

So STOP OVEREXTENDING. It's causing a lot more damage to teams than you'd realize. It's why teams can lose all of their top tier battleships in less than a minute and immediately be robbed of any advantages.

I agree in principle with pretty much everything you're written here except for the sentence I've highlighted.  That is far too general of a statement, as cruisers should be pushing up to caps to help destroyers that are capping, particularly if you're a radar cruiser.  It also depends on whether or not there is nearby cover for your ship. There's just too many variables to take into account to make this statement accurate.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,598 posts

I was looking at a couple of my old Army training manuals the other day. It struck me that the information there on cover, concealment, and fields of fire could be well applied to WOWS. Try setting up a proper kill zone with random teams in WOWS though.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[TASC]
Members
268 posts
7,392 battles
21 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I was looking at a couple of my old Army training manuals the other day. It struck me that the information there on cover, concealment, and fields of fire could be well applied to WOWS. Try setting up a proper kill zone with random teams in WOWS though.

or a good L ambush. torp from the side so they have to turn broadside to your big gun ships. 

even when you tell them in chat what will happen they still hide .