Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

WOT meets WOWS in real life

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,505
[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

They should have kept bofors 40mm on the ships, but oh well

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,429
[NDA]
Supertester
5,210 posts
15,584 battles

As one comment read, "Its amazing what Marines can do with some Chain, Duck-tape and an Auto Cannon."

My thought was, "Gee its almost like we need small ocean going ships armed with lots of guns. Say something Fletcher size but with Auto Cannons and instead of Torpedo racks Missile pods." 

:cap_cool:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
48 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

As one comment read, "Its amazing what Marines can do with some Chain, Duck-tape and an Auto Cannon."

My thought was, "Gee its almost like we need small ocean going ships armed with lots of guns. Say something Fletcher size but with Auto Cannons and instead of Torpedo racks Missile pods." 

:cap_cool:

I keep thinking back to those multi-billion dollar, state-of-the-art destroyers the Navy has, with no ammunition because it was too expensive to produce. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I keep thinking back to those multi-billion dollar, state-of-the-art destgroyers the Navy has, with no ammunition because it was too expensive to produce. 

Corporate welfare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I keep thinking back to those multi-billion dollar, state-of-the-art destroyers the Navy has, with no ammunition because it was too expensive to produce. 

And yet the States invests more into its military per year than almost everything else combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
6 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

And yet the States invests more into its military per year than almost everything else combined.

I'm a firm believer that the US should have a mandatory two-year national service program. This should include community medical personnel, infrastructure workers, etc., as well as the military. It would be very good for the country. Not only would 18-20-year-olds learn a skill that they could build on, the country would be served by a general cross-section of the populace, rather than the less than 1% that are serving now. Several tens of billions of dollars could be diverted from the defense budgets to this program because it would result in a stronger and more capable country with people capable of defending themselves, rather than letting a hired military do it for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm a firm believer that the US should have a mandatory two-year national service program. This should include community medical personnel, infrastructure workers, etc., as well as the military. It would be very good for the country. Not only would 18-20-year-olds learn a skill that they could build on, the country would be served by a general cross-section of the populace, rather than the less than 1% that are serving now. Several tens of billions of dollars could be diverted from the defense budgets to this program because it would result in a stronger and more capable country with people capable of defending themselves, rather than letting a hired military do it for them. 

I don't think that would be a good idea mainly because the military breaks as many people as it turns into epic fighting machines. The military is a good place for exactly three kinds of people: Professional soldiers who are more stone cold than Steve Austin, super-geniuses who can crunch numbers like a human version of IBM's Watson, and ultra-macho, ultra-basic Gaston types who wear muscle shirts, smell like Axe, harass anyone who is even mildly different, and are good at mindlessly following orders that are yelled in their face. For a person such as myself, a largely antisocial, completely out of shape, high-functioning autist who firmly believes that the unexamined life is not worth living, is absolutely terrible at math, and takes horribly to being yelled at, the military would be the absolute worst possible experience. Under such oppressive circumstances, people such as myself would either turn into psychopaths like Private Pyle or would be traumatized for life from getting hazed by everyone else on a regular basis.

Instead, I'd suggest taking a page from my home country's foreign policy and try practicing what's known as "soft power", which essentially means that you get everyone to like you so that you don't have to send a battle fleet or a legion of troops to convince people to do what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
24 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I don't think that would be a good idea mainly because the military breaks as many people as it turns into epic fighting machines.

Read my post closely. I said that the national service would be many things, the military being only one of them. As for "breaking" people. I think the media tends to concentrate on the extremely rare instances rather than the whole. Of course, there are a few that can't handle things but they are rare. I personally know of only two who got heavily into drugs and got removed from the military as no-accounts. However, I went to high school with them and they were druggies before they joined the service. I know dozens of veterans, from WWI to Afghanistan, who are were or are now pillars of the community. My cousins, uncles, dad, and myself all served and got college degrees on the GI bill. Half of us went on to get Masters and PhDs. Most of us ended up teaching in high school and college as well as doing other things like construction, medicine, aerospace engineering, and commercial piloting. I don't think a single one of us has ever seen a psychologist or even taken so much as an anti-depressant.

As for "soft power" you do realize that the US provides most of the defense of your country, as it does the defense of Europe. As far as North American national defense goes, the US and Canadian armed-forces are essentially the same force. I don't think I ever went anywhere that there weren't Canadian forces too. I even spent some time on a base in Canada.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
38 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm a firm believer that the US should have a mandatory two-year national service program. This should include community medical personnel, infrastructure workers, etc., as well as the military. It would be very good for the country. Not only would 18-20-year-olds learn a skill that they could build on, the country would be served by a general cross-section of the populace, rather than the less than 1% that are serving now. Several tens of billions of dollars could be diverted from the defense budgets to this program because it would result in a stronger and more capable country with people capable of defending themselves, rather than letting a hired military do it for them. 

The problem with that is they would need to find work for 4+ million kids a year. The total military is just over 1 million for comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The problem with that is they would need to find work for 4+ million kids a year. The total military is just over 1 million for comparison.

This is really not a problem because there actually are many jobs available and things that need done. And it has been done before. My grandpa worked for the WPA during the Depression. If nothing else, just look at the ads in the paper looking for medical staff. Nearly every hospital in America can use more nursing staff. The nation also is in dire need of more truck drivers.

https://www.news10.com/news/national/america-needs-more-truck-drivers/1192161448

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/02/nursing-shortage/459741/

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Read my post closely. I said that the national service would be many things, the military being only one of them. As for "breaking" people. I think the media tends to concentrate on the extremely rare instances rather than the whole. Of course, there are a few that can't handle things but they are rare. I personally know of only two who got heavily into drugs and got removed from the military as no-accounts. However, I went to high school with them and they were druggies before they joined the service. I know dozens of veterans, from WWI to Afghanistan, who are were or are now pillars of the community. My cousins, uncles, dad, and myself all served and got college degrees on the GI bill. Half of us went on to get Masters and PhDs. Most of us ended up teaching in high school and college as well as doing other things like construction, medicine, aerospace engineering, and commercial piloting. I don't think a single one of us has ever seen a psychologist or even taken so much as an anti-depressant.

I read your post closely, and I still maintain that people such as myself would do horribly in anything related to what your saying because of the culture that is inherent. I would most likely be viciously harassed for my differences and chastised for my shortcomings in a manner that would be highly counterproductive. The only thing I would take away would be bad memories and a hatred for the people who forced me into the situation. One of the reasons why I'm currently pursuing commercial radio as a career is because it's one of the few things I'm actually good at, it's something that doesn't necessarily need me to be very socially adept, and because the people there are generally accepting of others.

For the record, I would also like to point out that I'm the absolute last person on the planet who would take drugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

This is really not a problem because there actually are many jobs available and things that need done. And it has been done before. My grandpa worked for the WPA during the Depression. If nothing else, just look at the ads in the paper looking for medical staff. Nearly every hospital in America can use more nursing staff. The nation also is in dire need of more truck drivers.

The WPA was because there was no work and that was a way to get "welfare" to people in need. A two year service period isn't long enough to train people to be even mildly useful in most jobs, even construction jobs need a two year degree now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
14 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

As for "soft power" you do realize that the US provides most of the defense of your country, as it does the defense of Europe. As far as North American national defense goes, the US and Canadian armed-forces are essentially the same force. I don't think I ever went anywhere that there weren't Canadian forces too. I even spent some time on a base in Canada.

Canada isn't exactly a country that needs defending because everyone likes us. No one wants to invade Canada or get into a p*ssing contest with us because we like being nice to people. The only thing we really need our military for is maintaining our sovereignty in the Arctic, and you don't need too much to do that since Russia currently has bigger fish to fry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
19 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Canada isn't exactly a country that needs defending because everyone likes us. No one wants to invade Canada or get into a p*ssing contest with us because we like being nice to people. The only thing we really need our military for is maintaining our sovereignty in the Arctic, and you don't need too much to do that since Russia currently has bigger fish to fry.

Once again, the US and Canada defend each other. Most people would be amazed at how closely integrated our defense systems are. The US and Canada have operated under a joint continental defense pact since 1940 with joint training and joint deployments (except for Vietnam; and 30,000 Canadians volunteered to serve with the US forces in that war) ever since. There were as many Canadians serving in the American military as draft dodgers who went to Canada.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Once again, the US and Canada defend each other. Most people would be amazed at how closely integrated our defense systems are. The US and Canada have operated under a joint continental defense pact since 1940 with joint training and joint deployments (except for Vietnam; and 30,000 Canadians volunteered to serve with the US forces in that war) ever since. 

I'm well aware, and yet our two countries have such different ways of solving a problem. Instead of using the most explosive and violent methods available, we tend to take the diplomatic approach, making sure that the boots we put on the ground are peacekeepers that negotiate whenever possible. You'd be surprised how well it's worked for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,245
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
15 minutes ago, Malamute_Kid said:

Next thing will be Marines strapping CIWS onto the back of a Humvee.

Well, the Air Force has a Bofors in a cargo transport, so...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
168
[WOLF2]
Members
431 posts
13,912 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, 1Sherman said:

I don't think that would be a good idea mainly because the military breaks as many people as it turns into epic fighting machines. The military is a good place for exactly three kinds of people: Professional soldiers who are more stone cold than Steve Austin, super-geniuses who can crunch numbers like a human version of IBM's Watson, and ultra-macho, ultra-basic Gaston types who wear muscle shirts, smell like Axe, harass anyone who is even mildly different, and are good at mindlessly following orders that are yelled in their face. For a person such as myself, a largely antisocial, completely out of shape, high-functioning autist who firmly believes that the unexamined life is not worth living, is absolutely terrible at math, and takes horribly to being yelled at, the military would be the absolute worst possible experience. Under such oppressive circumstances, people such as myself would either turn into psychopaths like Private Pyle or would be traumatized for life from getting hazed by everyone else on a regular basis.

Instead, I'd suggest taking a page from my home country's foreign policy and try practicing what's known as "soft power", which essentially means that you get everyone to like you so that you don't have to send a battle fleet or a legion of troops to convince people to do what you want.

 

Unfortunately the Deep State will not let that happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×