Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

Yammy 'Legendary' module problem or just in general?

10 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,247 posts

Hi all,

I have been noticing this quite a bit since I got the so-called Legendary module for the Yamato (which is a FAR cry from that designation) - that the dispersion actually gets better with longer range.

I have fired at other BBs at 25km and the shells come out of the guns in very tight groups, in rare cases scoring as high as 5 out of 9 hits to a BOW ON ship. Yet at 4km, the dispersion is absolute garbage - I generally get a shotgun pattern, scoring 2 out of 9.

What gives WG?? Isn't dispersion supposed to get better the closer a target is? These screwball 'reverse' results are pretty consistent  - it has been quite some time since I 'upgraded' and the results have always been the same. Now if I was constantly scoring 5 out of 9 hits at max range, I would never leave the map edge, but as I said these are rare - however the groupings out of the guns are not - - they ALWAYS stay nice and tight at max range (and are garbage at close and medium ranges).

At this point I really want to swap out the 'Legendarally Bad" module, but of course the only way to do that without losing it ( which I spent a ton of time grinding for) , is to 'de-mount it with Doubloons. Brilliant. :Smile_facepalm:

Anyone else been seeing this performance from their Yammy guns? (If so, it needs to be fixed WG).

Members
15 posts
4,349 battles

I think that's how dispersion of IJN battleships look like. They are most accurate at medium/long ranges (>10km?). In close quarters you can only expect high accuracy at point-blank distance.

Beta Testers
1,617 posts
8,251 battles

As far as we know, the dispersion function follows a linear equation for values above a set "close range" value.  Once you're in those close quarters ranges nobody knows the actual dispersion, but it's likely  that  battleships are given dispersion worse than would otherwise be expected.  Or maybe not.

WG is generally pretty close lipped with this info, and the only reason we know this is waaaay back once WG changed the dispersion of battleships, and in the notes they stated that wanted to adjust the close quarters accuracy of battleships specifically.  It might be a different formula.  It might be minimum dispersion.  Or assuming that the equation is a standard y=mx+b formulas, they could have simply lowered the m value and increased the b value, which would have an effect of giving poorer close range dispersion while leaving the long more or less similar.   On that note, we do know that the IJN battleships are actually LESS accurate than the other nations below 10km, so keep that in mind as well.

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,543 battles

I’ve definitely noticed this too. Idk if it’s just me going crazy though.

Edited by Gavroche_

[S0L0]
Members
1,168 posts
6,101 battles

The other part of the problem is the physical location of the guns. Yamato is huge, with with lots of room between the fore and aft turrets, so aiming at close range can be problematic since you are not aiming a singe weapon with the on screen reticule, but an array of them a few hundred meters long.

Matt 

• Cool 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,247 posts
17 hours ago, Gavroche_ said:

I’ve definitely noticed this too. Idk if it’s just me going crazy though.

So I'm not alone!

17 hours ago, Kenjister said:

As far as we know, the dispersion function follows a linear equation for values above a set "close range" value.  Once you're in those close quarters ranges nobody knows the actual dispersion, but it's likely  that  battleships are given dispersion worse than would otherwise be expected.  Or maybe not.

On that note, we do know that the IJN battleships are actually LESS accurate than the other nations below 10km, so keep that in mind as well.

WTH???

Seriously?

There is already a huge bias against Japanese ships in game (DDs with crap guns, cruisers that blow up if you look at them sideways, Yamato with an absolute huge exposed citadel that has two cheek windows open BOW ON, etc.) And they purposely made the accuracy WORSE the CLOSER they are? Wow, just wow. :Smile_facepalm:

NO WONDER BBs NEVER PUSH AND MAP EDGE THE GAME ALL THE TIME  - THAT"S HOW WG WANTS THEM PLAYED APPARENTLY.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Well it’s obvious you didn’t play the game in the early days. Back then battleship guns would completely miss targets within about 5 km.

I think you are experiencing confirmation bias. Recently I’ve been brawling BBs in co-op. Personally, I haven’t noticed any issues with battleship accuracy at close range. Also, being within 4 km of any target in a Yamato is tactically unsound. 

[SIMP]
Members
1,247 posts
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

Well it’s obvious you didn’t play the game in the early days. Back then battleship guns would completely miss targets within about 5 km.

I think you are experiencing confirmation bias. Recently I’ve been brawling BBs in co-op. Personally, I haven’t noticed any issues with battleship accuracy at close range. Also, being within 4 km of any target in a Yamato is tactically unsound. 

Yeah, but sometime you cant help it (sneaky DDs) or in my case, I like to play aggressively so I often get close .

It's just a revelation to me that that what I have been seeing is PURPOSELY CODED. That BBs are less accurate up close and are programmed to map edge - DESPITE WG's crying that people don't engage or close distances enough. 

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE YOUR CODING WG, IF THAT'S HOW YOU WANT US TO PLAY.

Edited by capncrunch21

Beta Testers
1,617 posts
8,251 battles
1 hour ago, capncrunch21 said:

Yeah, but sometime you cant help it (sneaky DDs) or in my case, I like to play aggressively so I often get close .

It's just a revelation to me that that what I have been seeing is PURPOSELY CODED. That BBs are less accurate up close and are programmed to map edge - DESPITE WG's crying that people don't engage or close distances enough. 

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE YOUR CODING WG, IF THAT'S HOW YOU WANT US TO PLAY.

To clarify, it's not that they're LESS accurate than they would be at range, but their dispersion circles don't become super small once you get close.  If you measure it by shell spread, then being close will always be better than being further out.

As far as IJN BBs, they're less accurate than other nations at 10km, but better above that number.  Given that most BB combat takes place at 12km+ that's more than fair I think.

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,543 battles
On 12/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, capncrunch21 said:

There is already a huge bias against Japanese ships in game (DDs with crap guns, cruisers that blow up if you look at them sideways, Yamato with an absolute huge exposed citadel that has two cheek windows open BOW ON, etc.) And they purposely made the accuracy WORSE the CLOSER they are? Wow, just wow. :Smile_facepalm:

NO WONDER BBs NEVER PUSH AND MAP EDGE THE GAME ALL THE TIME  - THAT"S HOW WG WANTS THEM PLAYED APPARENTLY.

TBF they designed this when there was only the Yamato ad Montana, and the Montana had weaker armor, a higher citadel, and Yamato had super heal so...

Sign in to follow this