You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Galvanic_

mini map

18 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
2,670 posts
17,342 battles
3 hours ago, Galvanic_ said:

It would be cool if the detection rings on the mini map changed when you switch aa on or off.

Why would you need this function? I see no real purpose to it and there are other things that WG could be doing that are more important.

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
44 posts
18 hours ago, Vaffu said:

Why would you need this function? I see no real purpose to it and there are other things that WG could be doing that are more important.

because it would help in the game...and if you don't know why it would be helpful then you probably shouldn't criticize the idea

19 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Does it not expand when aa guns are firing. 

no

[SYN]
Members
855 posts
8,101 battles
1 hour ago, Galvanic_ said:

no

Thanks. I am not sure what I am thinking of. I know main battery expands it. 

I keep the aaa disabled most of the time in a DD unless there is little surface opposition. 

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
15,583 battles
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I know main battery expands it. 

Only after you fire.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
106 posts
6,159 battles

Do you mean the range rings or the detection rings.  I can see the range ring as being another check whether it is on or off but can't see the value in not knowing your AA detection range at a glance.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, Galvanic_ said:

It would be cool if the detection rings on the mini map changed when you switch aa on or off.

Your AA being on or off has no bearing on your detection range, except when it is actively firing.  In that event, it extends your detection circle to exactly the maximum range of your AA guns, and the minimap already offers an option to display that.  When you turn your AA guns back off, your concealment rating immediately returns to its default level (there is no bloom time for AA, like there is for main guns).

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
44 posts
21 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Your AA being on or off has no bearing on your detection range, except when it is actively firing.  In that event, it extends your detection circle to exactly the maximum range of your AA guns, and the minimap already offers an option to display that.  When you turn your AA guns back off, your concealment rating immediately returns to its default level (there is no bloom time for AA, like there is for main guns).

Your AA on or off does affect your detection range. the detection from air ring works the same as the detection from sea ring. the major difference is you choose when to fire main guns and when that blooms. aa automatically triggers, so effectively it is never at the lower "aa off" setting. it'd be like if a ship came into your main battery range and the battery automatically fired and bloomed your detection.

What I'm saying is two rings neither are dynamic. one is aa off, the other is aa on. and it would be helpful, especially as a dd to change vectors based on incoming planes.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
5 hours ago, Galvanic_ said:

Your AA on or off does affect your detection range. the detection from air ring works the same as the detection from sea ring. the major difference is you choose when to fire main guns and when that blooms. aa automatically triggers, so effectively it is never at the lower "aa off" setting.

It is at the lower "AA off" setting whenever your AA is off. :Smile-_tongue: 

As I said, the "AA on" ring is already available in the form of your AA range.  What it sounds like you want is the option to have another ring displaying your (assured) detection by aircraft range.  I'm guessing that the reason they didn't put that in from the beginning is that for many DDs (the ships you're most likely to turn AA off on) this circle would be so close to the maximum AA range that the two rings would be indistinguishable on all but the largest screens with the minimap blown up to the largest possible size.  To give an example, the C-hull Benson, which has very usable AA guns, ranges its anti-aircraft fire out to 5.01km; its assured aircraft detection range (AA off) is 3.6km.  The Minekaze, on the other hand, has only 2 AA guns with a range of 0.99km whereas it is automatically detected by aircraft at 3.12km (making it one of those ships where it's pointless to ever turn your AA off)--in this case you could see the separation of the two rings, but you'd likely have trouble distinguishing the AA ring from the ship itself.

Not saying your suggestion is without merit, I just wanted to be certain that you actually understood how aircraft/anti-aircraft spotting works (many, many players don't).

[WOLF9]
Members
9,374 posts
4,243 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 4:26 PM, Galvanic_ said:

You mean the optional AA range rings?  That's not a bad idea.

Members
850 posts
14,844 battles

Because if you're firing your AA guns without smoke cover, you're guaranteed to be detected by the planes you're firing at. You don't need a bloom radius like with your main battery because it instantly switches between "AA detection range" and "max AA range" with with a press of the "P" key.

Edited by grumpymunky

[TF-64]
Members
427 posts
15,060 battles
On 12/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Thanks. I am not sure what I am thinking of. I know main battery expands it. 

I keep the aaa disabled most of the time in a DD unless there is little surface opposition. 

Without knowing what DDs you drive, you might want to revisit that idea. You are no longer detected in smoke when using AA. And there are lots of DDs with smaller AA ranges than air detection ranges. Mid level IJN and KM DDs fit this. Though USN almost all have rather long range AA. That one I toggle a lot. Point is, there are several DDs that you might as well leave em on because they don't hurt your detection, if they are firing then the planes have already seen ya. 

[SYN]
Members
855 posts
8,101 battles
7 hours ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

That one I toggle a lot.

Thanks for the clarification. I do that a lot. If sited I will hit p until the aircraft starts to drift away. Then I hit it again to go dark.

So disabled most of the time, yes. 

Never on, no.

[CUTIE]
Members
378 posts
14,461 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Does it not expand when aa guns are firing. 

Yes see "detection when AA guns are firing"

[SYN]
Members
855 posts
8,101 battles
1 hour ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

Yes see "detection when AA guns are firing"

I think I was seeing the surface detection increase when firing. IDK. 

I just use numbers anyway. Those lines are off by 10% or more I think.