You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GuessIllJustDie

DM legendary module

22 comments in this topic

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,712 battles

I'm on the fence about this module and not sure if its worth trading my 0.7 second reload for faster rudder shift and increased engine power. 

my playstyle heavily relied on out DPMing the enemy ship while I was camped somewhere safe (typical DM and wooster play lol),  I never use the range mod on my cruisers as they are not worth shooting something 18km away. its better to shoot something closer at a faster rate.

the legendary module gives me handling like a DD, but I dont have torps to use and I generally dont get myself in situations where I am about to get myself in a crapload of torps. I'm usually mindful of my positioning and attack or retreat depending on the situation.

any advice helps, thanks

cheers

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
9 minutes ago, lungiwear said:

I'm on the fence about this module and not sure if its worth trading my 0.7 second reload for faster rudder shift and increased engine power. 

my playstyle heavily relied on out DPMing the enemy ship while I was camped somewhere safe (typical DM and wooster play lol),  I never use the range mod on my cruisers as they are not worth shooting something 18km away. its better to shoot something closer at a faster rate.

the legendary module gives me handling like a DD, but I dont have torps to use and I generally dont get myself in situations where I am about to get myself in a crapload of torps. I'm usually mindful of my positioning and attack or retreat depending on the situation.

any advice helps, thanks

cheers

Here is the thread with the math on what each upgrade does in slot 6 for the DM. The UU stacked with the Propulsion Mod 2 in slot 4 means that you can go from 0-27 knots in ~8 seconds per WG.

Here is the master thread for all the Unique Upgrades.

[NUWES]
Members
2,271 posts
7,212 battles

Notser loves the module. 

Spoiler

I'm inclined to agree with him. The thing that usually gets me killed with Des Moines is that it is so slow the accelerate when its position is being overrun or a new threat appears on the flank.  The module allows you dance around your cover more easily and better respond to sudden flanking maneuvers. I don't have my module yet (I'm almost there) but I see the increased agility and acceleration as allowing me to survive longer to keep DPSing. 

[MIA-P]
Members
671 posts
6,497 battles

The DM module is generally considered worth it, especially for any competitive gamemodes, where you need to remain nimble to take advantage of openings and avoid being pinned down by coordinated enemy attacks. That said, I'd also say it's optional for random battles, where taking out that one DD isn't quite as vital, and enemy fire isn't coordinated. Also an oddity you should be aware of: the module helps you accelerate, but not decelerate. So you're boosted for going 0->30, or for going 0-> -10, but not for going 30->0 or -10->0. It's not actually that big a deal once you get used to it, but it does feel like driving on ice for the first couple matches.

I'd also say that perhaps being a bit more nimble, especially in the heavy cruiser, might change your playstyle somewhat? One of the fun things about this mod (and this is actually something that's more true for randoms than for competitive), is that it allows you to get away with things that you normally wouldn't. Things like manipulating speed to dodge shells in open water, or scooting out to kill a DD before the enemy BBs can rotate their turrets, or avoiding torps if a cruiser pushes your island. If you really never experience these kinds of problems in the DM, then dare I say you could benefit from playing the ship more aggressively? The DM in particular tends to reward those who know how to push the B cap in the early game.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

There is a method of dodging called 'acceleration evasion', where you are generally at 1/4 or 1/2 speed, out in the open, and then when you see shells coming towards your ship, you go full forwards for about 4s and then go back to 1/4 or 1/2 speed.

Acceleration evasion only works with RNCL, RNDD and DM with legendary mod.

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,712 battles
20 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

The DM module is generally considered worth it, especially for any competitive gamemodes, where you need to remain nimble to take advantage of openings and avoid being pinned down by coordinated enemy attacks. That said, I'd also say it's optional for random battles, where taking out that one DD isn't quite as vital, and enemy fire isn't coordinated. Also an oddity you should be aware of: the module helps you accelerate, but not decelerate. So you're boosted for going 0->30, or for going 0-> -10, but not for going 30->0 or -10->0. It's not actually that big a deal once you get used to it, but it does feel like driving on ice for the first couple matches.

I'd also say that perhaps being a bit more nimble, especially in the heavy cruiser, might change your playstyle somewhat? One of the fun things about this mod (and this is actually something that's more true for randoms than for competitive), is that it allows you to get away with things that you normally wouldn't. Things like manipulating speed to dodge shells in open water, or scooting out to kill a DD before the enemy BBs can rotate their turrets, or avoiding torps if a cruiser pushes your island. If you really never experience these kinds of problems in the DM, then dare I say you could benefit from playing the ship more aggressively? The DM in particular tends to reward those who know how to push the B cap in the early game.

sigh... I learned that the hard way. pushed into a cap to delete a DD and wanted to hug an island. got in position to camp but stopped too late and even late in reversing. got me killed lol

[WOLF2]
Members
1,284 posts
8,726 battles
21 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

There is a method of dodging called 'acceleration evasion', where you are generally at 1/4 or 1/2 speed, out in the open, and then when you see shells coming towards your ship, you go full forwards for about 4s and then go back to 1/4 or 1/2 speed.

Acceleration evasion only works with RNCL, RNDD and DM with legendary mod.

I was wondering where those DMs got their turbos.   Or the one I loathe - the DM going backwards, and the smokestack is showing them changing directions.   Oh yeah!!!!    Fire the rounds, and then they turbo boost away from the shells.   Ugh.

Can't wait until I get mine.   Getting close to getting the DM.

Edited by DiddleDum

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,698 battles

That nobody has mentioned the hit to radar duration makes me think that nobody feels that to be an issue.  That's fine if that's what you feel, but having someone mention it and say why it isn't a problem would be a nice point in this discussion.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,514 posts
6,319 battles

I run the range mod and tried swapping for legendary in CBs last night. For me it wasn't worth it as there were several situations where ships were just out of range. If you have been running the reload  module, however, and are used to the shorter range, it's probably a decent option.  The increased acceleration was very noticeable. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,271 posts
7,212 battles
15 minutes ago, InvalidKey said:

That nobody has mentioned the hit to radar duration makes me think that nobody feels that to be an issue.  That's fine if that's what you feel, but having someone mention it and say why it isn't a problem would be a nice point in this discussion.

I don't have my module yet, but I don't think the hit will be too bad. DM has plenty of duration to spare a bit of loss, especially with the other module that extends it. It isn't that often that you really use the full duration anyway. If you catch a DD inside it will either dash away immediately or die before the duration expires. As long as it isn't the range that takes a hit, it should be ok. That would be a deal-breaker for me. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,271 posts
7,212 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I run the range mod and tried swapping for legendary in CBs last night. For me it wasn't worth it as there were several situations where ships were just out of range. If you have been running the reload  module, however, and are used to the shorter range, it's probably a decent option.  The increased acceleration was very noticeable. 

It kinda turns DM into a CL with the firepower of a CA. 

[N-W-T]
Members
1,514 posts
6,319 battles
23 minutes ago, InvalidKey said:

Radar mod is slot2. Pretty useless slot for DM (dmg ctrl mod1/steering/rudder).

Legendary mod is slot6 (range/reload). 

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
31 minutes ago, InvalidKey said:

Then you did not click on my link to see the math. Because it is in there. Reading is OP.

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,332 battles
1 hour ago, lungiwear said:

any advice helps, thanks

cheers

You trade a lot of gun range to use that mod almost 3km I think it was. I sold that after using it in 2 matches cause if you are in open water you need that extra range to survive. The mod is fine if you are island hiding but that is not my playstyle so it was worthless to me.

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,332 battles
53 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

I was wondering where those DMs got their turbos.   Or the one I loathe - the DM going backwards, and the smokestack is showing them changing directions.   Oh yeah!!!!    Fire the rounds, and then they turbo boost away from the shells.   Ugh.

Can't wait until I get mine.   Getting close to getting the DM.

Only fire a single gun to make them change direction the unload on them when they do.

[KRAK]
Members
2,661 posts
17,332 battles
15 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Radar mod is slot2. Pretty useless slot for DM (dmg ctrl mod1/steering/rudder).

Legendary mod is slot6 (range/reload). 

DM does not need the dmg control mod in my experience I run the radar mod in slot. I do not think I have ever had my rudder or engines knocked out in the DM and with RP and heal it really negates the need for dmg control.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
179 posts
6,693 battles

I got the legendary mod a few weeks ago and have played maybe 30ish matches in it. My thoughts:

- At first the range bothered me... a lot. But then I got used to working my way closer and, while there are certainly instances where I notice it (or lack of it, more appropriately), it doesn't bother me as much any more. 

- The double up on power is a game changer. When combined with the rudder shift, it's a game changer XL. Easily every other match there are one or more instances where I dodge torps, incoming shells, etc. that I would not have otherwise been able to dodge. Instead of being game over, it's game on.

- The mod makes the ship much more versatile. It allows it to operate in regimes that it would have had no hope of performing in otherwise. 

- Performing the "slam no the brakes and they'll fly right by" maneuver tends to actually work in the DM with the mod. 

- Most importantly, it makes the ship 10x more fun to play. 

When it's early in the match and most ships are at range, the lack of said range hurts. But the longer the match goes, the more ranges tend to condense and this is where the mod allows the ship to shine. My favorite instance of this was a battle where I was getting boxed into a corner in my ~1/2 health DM by a ~2/3 health Massachusetts and full up Edinburgh. I simply headed for the edge line, maneuvered back and forth until I hit the corner, started going down the other edge line firing all the way until both were dead. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that with the double up on +50% engine power, the DM can skim along the edge line at 30 knots.  

Two thumbs up from me. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,698 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Then you did not click on my link to see the math. Because it is in there. Reading is OP.

Oh i did.  I read it.  I also didn't read any opinions on whether it was worth the tradeoff from the people posting in this thread.  Reading in indeed OP it seems.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,598 posts
On 12/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, lungiwear said:

any advice helps, thanks

cheers

Get it. You will never be sorry! With it you can keep the enemy under fire while darting behind cover and dodging torpedoes. I'm please as punch with mine.

Edited by Snargfargle

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,283 battles

It's a great mod.  It is supremely flexible, allowing you to juke or dodge torps in unexpected ways and to open water when necessary.

DM suffers without torps to deter rushers, but with the mod you can duck out and open water effectively to always keep the initiative.  You can survive flank collapses and broadside ambushes with ease, and quite frankly the extra dpm you get by not being hung out to dry by your team or the map is often far in excess of 18%.